Can Michigan State rebound with us?

OrangeNehi

Is it true that MSU's tallest starting player is 6'6"? What has been the rebounding story for Michigan State in the tourney? Are they managing to get their share of rebounds? Second shots underneath and more points in the paint, not to mention defensive rebounds if MSU goes cold will win this one. Vols 74, MSU 60.

They are the number one rebounding team in the country, moreover, the question is whether Tennessee can rebound with Michigan State.

Michigan St. can DEFINITELY OUTREBOUND US. IT'S ALL GOING TO COME DOWN TO WHO WANTS IT MORE!!! WHO'S GOING TO GO THAT EXTRA DISTANCE AND GIVE EVERY OUNCE THAT THEY HAVE.

You are correct about one thing though. This will be key in who wins the game.

Tennessee has some good length and size, but MSU out muscles you and gets where they want to go.

They are fantastic rebounders.

They run 6 main guys.

Korie Lucious 5-11
Chris Allen 6-3
Durrell Summers 6-4
Draymond Green 6-6
Raymar Morgan 6-8
Delvon Roe 6-8

Not sure how they start 3 guys that are 6-8 when they only run 2 that are and Morgan has been measured at 6-7 and 6-8.

It's not true. We're not tall but we are wider/bigger than your bigs.

Delvon Roe 6'8" 230
Raymar Morgan 6'8" 230
You'll also see some minutes out of:
Derrick Nix 6'8" 280 (Less than listed weight now. He's a freshman we are still getting into shape but he's a BIG boy.)
Garrick Sherman 6'10" 235

As mentioned MSU has the highest rebound margin in the country. They have gotten offensive rebounds on 45% of their missed shots on the year. They run rebound drills every practice. Izzo plays man to man defense year after year because zone sucks for rebounding. Expect 4 bodies flying to the offensive glass every time a shot goes up. Rebounding is almost a religion at Michigan State.

Last edited:
That can be a double-edged sword. If they crash that hard and don't get it, we can get into transition often with an unbalanced floor
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
I hope your guys suffer a lapse of faith this afternoon, then. :)

Well from what I have seen your guys know exactly what fight they are in for on the glass. Should be interesting. We are only slightly less fond of our rebounds than this group of Spartans was about their weapons though.

***Be advised, linked video is an excerpt from the movie 300, rated R for graphic violence***

Give them nothing, but take from them everything!
Is that the best you can do? Push! Push!
No prisoners! No Mercy!

That can be a double!edged sword. If they crash that hard and don't get it, we can get into transition often with an unbalanced floor

this is what maryland believed last sunday... the problems still is that we can "run and gun" if we have to.. if it does turn into a transition game that still works for MSU......

Well from what I have seen your guys know exactly what fight they are in for on the glass. Should be interesting. We are only slightly less fond of our rebounds than this group of Spartans was about their weapons though.

***Be advised, linked video is an excerpt from the movie 300, rated R for graphic violence***

I would rather have a well trained Praetorian Guard Cohort than Spartans, but maybe that is just me.

:p

this is what maryland believed last sunday... the problems still is that we can "run and gun" if we have to.. if it does turn into a transition game that still works for MSU......

But that was with a great PG. It would be more interesting with Lucious I think

Rebound margin-Hmmmmm.
Average rebounds per game

UT-36.7
Mich-39.1

So, average wise, they are about 2 rebounds better than us each game. We average about two more blocks per game. Some things off set others. I love stats. They need to come up with some medical contraption that measures heart and soul. Desire. Drive. That would make for some nice stats.

Go Vols.

It's not true. We're not tall but we are wider/bigger than your bigs.

Delvon Roe 6'8" 230
Raymar Morgan 6'8" 230
You'll also see some minutes out of:
Derrick Nix 6'8" 280 (Less than listed weight now. He's a freshman we are still getting into shape but he's a BIG boy.)
Garrick Sherman 6'10" 235

As mentioned MSU has the highest rebound margin in the country. They have gotten offensive rebounds on 45% of their missed shots on the year. They run rebound drills every practice. Izzo plays man to man defense year after year because zone sucks for rebounding. Expect 4 bodies flying to the offensive glass every time a shot goes up. Rebounding is almost a religion at Michigan State.

I'm not exactly worried about Sherman seeing as how he has averaged 8 minutes a game in the tourney with 2 points a game and 2 rebounds a game. Nix has averaged just under 8 minutes a game, 3.3 points a game, and 2.67 rebounds a game in the tourney. I wouldn't be surprised to see them play more with us being a bigger team inside, but that doesn't mean that either will have an impact. I also don't see how MSU is wider than UT.

Brian Williams 6-10 278
Wayne Chism 6-9 246
Kenny Hall 6-8 220
Steven Pearl 6-5 232

Seriously, for the past decade, when I hear the name Michigan St. I automatically think of rebounding. It is a religion/way of life up there. It's what has made Izzo one of the best tournament coaches ever. No one should want to play these guys, period.

I hope we can hold our own. I think we can. We are scrappy right now and giving the effort we need.

We played a common opponent 2 days ago and outrebounded them 36-23. When they beat MSU earlier this year, they outrebounded MSU 38-32.

Rebound margin-Hmmmmm.
Average rebounds per game

UT-36.7
Mich-39.1

Please, please don't call us Michigan. :)

Raw numbers are misleading because they hide the number of boards available.

UT 36.7 Opponents 35.8 UT got 50.6% of rebounds
MSU 39.1 Opponents 30.0 MSU got 56.6% of rebounds

I know. Just makin' fun of stats. I love numbers. You can prove whatever you want or disprove using the same facts. This game is wide open and the only stat you can count on is who has the most points when the buzzer ends the game. I think it is going to be a classic. I wasn't trying to diss you guys with that Michigan thing. Just got lazy typing. Here's to a great game.

Doesn't account for weak rebounding opponents. Morgan has been an enormous disappointment, period. He brings it, MSU is solid. He doesn't and sans Lucas, it's not a tight match.

VN Store

Back