Is Tennessee the most underappreciated 27-win team in the country?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
NorthJersey.com: John Rowe's 16 sweet reasons to watch the NCAAs

John Rowe's Sweet 16 reasons to watch the NCAAs

12. Tennessee
Maybe the most underappreciated 27-win team in the country. Despite beating Kentucky and Kansas, the Vols are a sixth seed and playing with chips on their shoulders. Ohio State has a difficult assignment.

I also liked this comment from Pearl

Pearl says Vols know they stand 1 win from history - Associated Press - College Basketball - Sporting News
Asked if he feels not reaching the regional final is weighing on him, Pearl said no.

"But it will be if it continues," he said with a smile. "It'll be a great problem to have if every year I can't get my team from the Sweet 16 to the Elite 8. It's like when Mike Krzyzewski got to the Final Four every year but couldn't win the national championship. That was a real burden."

Not sure if it has been posted, but an interesting stat about J.P.

Scoring from Tennessee senior key for Vols to win - Associated Press - College Basketball - Sporting News
The Vols head into their Midwest Regional semifinal Friday night against Ohio State in St. Louis having won the last nine games when Prince scores in double figures - they're 0-3 when he doesn't.

Another Pearl comment that I found funny.

Buckeyes, Vols don't resemble familiar foes GoVolsXtra
"We made 18 threes (16-of-31, actually) in San Antonio,'' Pearl said. "We'd need four games to make 18 this year.''

yes we are,everyone loves sucking on kentucky and all the other teams not because of there hardwork but because of there logo

Absolutley, and that's probably a good thing!

Yeah, I think a lot of people tuned in to the last 10 minutes of the Ky game. We were at the end of our 3rd game in 3 days, we got one player ejected, and I think we had at least two seniors in foul trouble. It was a perfect storm in many ways.

However, I think being overlooked has been a good thing. We may not be overlooked any more if we beat OSU though.

The consistency of this team is what keeps them underappreciated.
You run into the, "they have done this and that, BUT" statement with this team.

The consistency of this team is what keeps them underappreciated.
You run into the, "they have done this and that, BUT" statement with this team.

Agreed. How different would the perception of this team be if you remove the losses to USC and Georgia and the blowout against Kentucky?

Agreed. How different would the perception of this team be if you remove the losses to USC and Georgia and the blowout against Kentucky?

Would be much different. Especially in the eyes of the national media.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I think out of all the years' that Bruce has coached this team this year is by far his best considering what has happened throughout the season. No one is really giving this team enough respect I feel---or Bruce....you certainly don't see it from the media..don't get me wrong I like it when the small schools like Cornell and Northern Iowa get some publicity but if I were voting for coach of the year I would definitely throw a vote to Bruce!

The opportunity is right here in front of us. Just like the opportunity was in front of us to not suffer bad losses to USC, Vandy, and UGA. This team has proven it can play with anyone in the country. But it also, unlike many of the other teams in the sweet 16, has proven it can have monumental lapses and lose by 20. Therefore, making us the least predictable team left in the tourney. I'm not surprised everyone is picking against us. When you lose by 20+ to teams you should actually be beating by double digits, there is reason for you to be doubted.

yes we are,everyone loves sucking on kentucky and all the other teams not because of there hardwork but because of there logo

in case you have not noticed since we last played kentucky in the sec championship they have played with great intensity and poise. they have destroyed everything in their path in the ncaa tournament. we will not get any love until this program gets to a final four or wins a championship. our history is putrid. we have zero sec championships and have never gotten to the elite 8. we have beaten no one to get to the sweet sixteen. there is no excuse for us not to be in the final four this year. but everyone has the same fears. inconsistent play and questionable coaching and player decisions. pearl has to keep his kid off the floor. we now have enough depth without stephen pearl. we get no respect in basketball the same way kentucky gets no respect in football. what have either done historically speaking? as good as coach pearl is
tom izzo and matta are as good or better. he better have the boys focused and disciplined.

You bring up an interesting point about Kentucky running through their opponents. It doesn't ensure success though. In fact it may point to their demise. Teams that are running through the tournament tend to fold when they face a tough game lately. Teams that have a very difficult win early on in the tournament seem to rally and move on to greater things. JMHO of course.

You bring up an interesting point about Kentucky running through their opponents. It doesn't ensure success though. In fact it may point to their demise. Teams that are running through the tournament tend to fold when they face a tough game lately. Teams that have a very difficult win early on in the tournament seem to rally and move on to greater things. JMHO of course.

Usually always proves true.

in case you have not noticed since we last played kentucky in the sec championship they have played with great intensity and poise. they have destroyed everything in their path in the ncaa tournament. we will not get any love until this program gets to a final four or wins a championship. our history is putrid. we have zero sec championships and have never gotten to the elite 8. we have beaten no one to get to the sweet sixteen. there is no excuse for us not to be in the final four this year. but everyone has the same fears. inconsistent play and questionable coaching and player decisions. pearl has to keep his kid off the floor. we now have enough depth without stephen pearl. we get no respect in basketball the same way kentucky gets no respect in football. what have either done historically speaking? as good as coach pearl is
tom izzo and matta are as good or better. he better have the boys focused and disciplined.

UT has multiple SEC championships.

UT gets overlooked because they aren't Duke, UK or 'Cuse (the three top teams left) nor are they a Cinderella and they didn't win their conference like tOSU. They haven't pulled off a big upset yet, but if they beat tOSU they will get talked about.

under-appreciated? I don't know. Given our play over the course of the season ...big wins...big loses...it's hard to get a handle on this team. I never know how they will play from one game to the next....but the last two games have been entertaining....here's hoping for three good games in a row...

also being under-appreciated....maybe that gives this team the motivation they need.

I think they are definitely the most inconsistent 27-win team in the country.

They may be the most inconsistent 27 win team in the history of basketball.

As I've said occasionally (and updating to our current record), there are day I'm not sure whether I shouldn't be annoyed we don't have 30 wins or happy we don't have 22.

I will say this about our team. We are 4-1 in postseason play so far. Pretty good time to be getting our best play (other than the KY game!). CBP's Tennessee teams previous tourney records are: 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, and 2-2. So this team has already won more postseason games than any previous CBP Tennessee squad.

VN Store

Back