Bruce Pearl on Georgia Tech's List?

LazhilUT

Paul Hewitt to St. Johns is pretty much a done deal.
Will Georgia Tech reach out to Pearl?

Tech can pay whatever he asks for and he can better players there than at UT...

Will Pearl leave if Tech comes knocking?

Thoughts.

I don't know. That's a tough situation. He's got a great class coming in and expectations here are lower than at Tech. I don't know if he could win and compete for championships as consistently at Tech as he could here. We really just have to compete with UK for SEC titles, Vandy sometimes. With Tech you've got to play a whole slew of good teams year in and year out.

Tech can pay whatever he asks for and he can better players there than at UT...
I doubt GT would pay the freight to bring in somebody like Pearl.

They're paying Hewitt $1.375 million which is about half a million less than Pearl . . . and that's after Hewitt made a Final 4 run.

Last edited:
I doubt GT would pay the freight to bring in somebody like Pearl.

They're paying Hewitt $1.375 million which is about half a million less than Pearl . . . and that's after Hewitt made a Final 4 run.

Yeah he made a Final 4 run, but look at the year he did it. I don't think they had to beat anyone better than a 4 or 5 seed on their run. That was the year UK was the number 1 overall and got knocked out in the second round if I'm not mistaken. And look at his overall record, and his overall ACC record. And his general lack of coaching in pretty much every way. Paul Hewitt is not a good coach, he just (for whatever reason) gets incredible talent. Hewitt leaving on his own is probably the best thing for GT basketball at this point.

And who said Hewitt to St. John's was a done deal? From all accounts I've heard, he stays at GT. Not saying he won't, I'm just curious as to where it was said Hewitt to St. John is a done deal

Last edited:
Atlanta radio stations are saying that hewitt has told them he wasn't intrested. He said that he and his family have settled in atlanta and are happy there. But you never know. If GT wants him gone and it sounds like they do he may change his mind.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Hewitt will probably not be gone at Tech. However, every single student/fan/booster (even the AD) wants Hewitt gone. The guy is miserable. He's decent at recruiting, but can't coach anybody. I hope he is gone.

Georgia Tech doesn't have the money to pay for a "big name" coach. Pearl seems to be "big name". Tech would rather pay for a biomedical engineering building than pay 600k more for a coach's salary.

Trust me, Pearl is going nowhere.

Sorry for the double post, but Hewitt has a rollover contract. This guy is basically stealing from Georgia Tech. If Tech wants to fire Hewitt, they owe him over $6 million to fire him (Money Tech doesn't have). Literally, Hewitt's contract rolls over every single year until he wants to leave. It's the most ridiculous contract in college basketball history.

Atlanta radio stations are saying that hewitt has told them he wasn't intrested. He said that he and his family have settled in atlanta and are happy there. But you never know. If GT wants him gone and it sounds like they do he may change his mind.

If GT wants to kick him to the curb, they owe him almost $7mm. If he leaves before his contract is up, he owes a bit over $3mm. At this point, he's trying to get GT to pay him to leave... or at the very least, he wants out without having to pay a dime of the $3mm. I assume St. Johns would have a sweeter deal for him if nobody owes GT $3mm. Just my read.

Ive a friend in L.A.,seeems UCLA might b getting antsy over Howland and his style of ball.many people are wanting to make a change and the AD is beginning to listen.....could they be interested in Bruce/if it comes to be?

Sometime its hard to look on here at threads. Why is it that you want Bruce Pearl gone. Everytime a job comes up you say will Bruce take it. Bruce is at Tennessee give it a rest. Georgia Tech ought to go after the Murray St coach. He is at a small school and would like a big time job. Lay off the Bruce Pearl to somewhere threads. If he did ever leave then you would be crying.

Hewitt will probably not be gone at Tech. However, every single student/fan/booster (even the AD) wants Hewitt gone. The guy is miserable. He's decent at recruiting, but can't coach anybody. I hope he is gone.

Georgia Tech doesn't have the money to pay for a "big name" coach. Pearl seems to be "big name". Tech would rather pay for a biomedical engineering building than pay 600k more for a coach's salary.

Trust me, Pearl is going nowhere.

Tech is paying Chan Gailey 4 million to not coach and Paul Johnson over 2 million per season. With this rolling contract they appear to have money to throw around. I think if the right coach came along, i would not think money will be an issue.

I would start by hiring a guy who specializes in buyout clauses.

Last edited:
Ive a friend in L.A.,seeems UCLA might b getting antsy over Howland and his style of ball.many people are wanting to make a change and the AD is beginning to listen.....could they be interested in Bruce/if it comes to be?

Hahahahaha, that's hilarious.

What's hilarious about that? Specifically.

The fact that anyone is suggesting that Ben Howland might be run out of LA two years removed from his run of three straight final fours. Fans in LA are stupid, but they aren't retarded

Last edited by a moderator:
Just trying to start another rumor. This board is way to short on rumors. We need MORE RUMORS FOR GOSH SAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's hilarious about that? Specifically.

The fact that anyone is suggesting that Ben Howland might be run out of LA two years removed from his run of three straight final fours. Fans in LA are stupid, but they aren't retarded

The fact that UCLA would even consider firing a coach who was in the Final Four a couple of years ago and had great years up until now, for one.

I don’t know why Mr. Basketball Expert did not think of that. Perhaps his hypersensitive Pearl bashing radar is preventing him from thinking logically.

I don’t know why Mr. Basketball Expert did not think of that. Perhaps his hypersensitive Pearl bashing radar is preventing him from thinking logically.

Mr. Basketball Expert never thinks of that type of thing. It must be explained repeatedly before it is understood.

VN Store

Back