After Duke and Purdue...

dashadyone23

we have the best defensive efficiency (number of points allowed per 100 possessions) of all the teams left in the tournament. And obviously at least one of those teams will be gone after the weekend. You can see that here:

2010 College Basketball Statistics: Efficiency

For those of you not familiar with this website, the short version of the story is that Ken Pomeroy is a basketball genius. The stats he keeps are the most telling stats of which I know. The defensive efficiency stat tells a lot about how far a team will go. Just look at at years past. I can actually look at these numbers and have a pretty accurate idea of what the Vegas line will be on a game. Also be sure to check out the blog that contains an entry titled "Kansas will not win it all" from last Thursday.

You also agree with Pomeroy when he shows the score will be OSU 69-UT 64 and they're a 71% favorite? :D

Easy to promote stats that are in your favor :D

Edit: And yes I'm a huge pomeroy fan.

His predictions for the first round were very accurate. Outside of G'Town/Ohio, the only ones I remember him missing were games predicted to be within 1-3 points. Stats don't take into account heart, or luck for that matter.

I like looking at his numbers, especially when looking at a specific team and how they rank in certain categories. I also like his "gameplan" correlations to efficiency. But his pythag is far from perfect, and his system of assigning percentages and predicting scores is also flawed because matchups are the most important factor, and his system can't effectively evaluate that.

Another reason why the Vols scare the hell out of me...would rather have matched up with GTown, to be completely honest.

Not sure why, just hate playing against any Bruce Pearl team...when they get hot, and Pearl has them going, just no stopping them...

VN Store

Back