What is the "flex" offense?

the most boring and one of the oldest offenses in basketball. not as effective these days

That's not a good explanation, but it's hard to explain just typing

Way to criticize the explanation, then not offer a better explanation. You must know alot about 'flex' offense if you know enough to tell the last poster that was not a good explanation. Thanks for clearing that up for all of us.
:good!:

U will hear the phrases flex cut or flex screen used a lot. Usually four players out and one in. As the ball is reversed up top to one side, the opposite guard cuts baseline off of a back screen of the player inside. There are a lot of variations or iso's inside too. When u see UT score in the halfcourt offense off of a cut, there is a good chance it was a flex cut off of the flex screen. Sorry if I don't make sense. I coach middle school basketball and we do the basic flex offense
Posted via VolNation Mobile

the most boring and one of the oldest offenses in basketball. not as effective these days

lol....Pearl runs it similar to Maryland. The down screens are not predetermined, basically they down screen for the shooters when they pop open. The Offense like any Offense is sound and hard to defend if you have players......Ive seen a lot of boring offenses win

Way to criticize the explanation, then not offer a better explanation. You must know alot about 'flex' offense if you know enough to tell the last poster that was not a good explanation. Thanks for clearing that up for all of us.
:good!:
He was responding to his own post and link that gave an explantion. Way to use basic reading skills before posting.

It's an offense designed to learn to run illegal moving screens so they look like they're not a violation. And pick-offs.

The offense was originally the "flox" - taken from the pflox plant because they're all over the place. :p

Or, not.

A motion offense is much, much better than the Flex. The Flex especially in younger players limits growth because it teaches how to run a pattern where as a motion allows for more player growth and development because it teaches the players how to play the game.

What is the "flex" offense Pearl Learned from Dr. Tom Davis?

There is a lot of information already posted, so forgive me if I'm repetitive, but I'll try to simplify.

The Flex is the base offense we use against man-to-man. There are two guards on top and three men spread across the baseline. When a guard has the ball, the man in the opposite corner comes off of a screen on the block--that's the Flex Cut. Cutter goes to the opposite block, screener drifts to the corner. The ball is reversed to the other guard and the whole thing happens in reverse. Most of the time guards downscreen and swap positions with the post, but in our version, they usually don't. It is primarily designed to get the ball to the cutter under the basket or, as defenses adjust and help, to get elbow or corner jumpshots.

The offense has gotten a lot of criticism on these boards but for the wrong reasons, IMO. It works OK when you have good players executing it well. A handful of teams around the country use the Flex with varying degrees of success, and almost every team has some version of the Flex Cut somewhere in their playbook.

So many different offenses: Hi-Low, Flex, Shuffle, Dribble Drive, Motion, Swing

I like Princeton the best though.

This is probably the best explanation:

Basketball Offense - Flex Offense, Coach's Clipboard Playbook

The Flex offense has been around since the 1970's and is a patterned offense featuring passing, screening, ball-reversal, options and counters. This offense is most effective against man-to-man defenses. Most scoring opportunities come off the "flex cut" inside, or a jump-shot from the elbows. Still you can run various options, counters, post plays, etc. Size mis-matches often occur due to the screening and defensive switching. This article describes the basic flex motion and a few options.

My entire knowledge of the flex offense cam from freshman basketball in HS. We ran for a quarter of the year and messed it up so often our coach finally scrapped it and just switched to a bunch of random plays and we lost 1 game the rest of the season.

Not saying its a bad offense for HS, just we were too dumb too run it. haha

What is the Princeton offense? Sorry to be so thick, but until now I have been a football person.:crazy:

Yeah that had nothing to do with the shooters and the transition offense

Given the comment you're responding to, do you believe your response is of any use, regardless that it's dead on the money?

I used to coach HS girls and my best team ever had 8 future D1 players on it. We were young that year (6 sophomores and only 1 senior) and got invited to a very prestigious tournament in Greeneville, TN. We played North Allegheny from Pittsburgh and they ran the flex and kicked our a$$. We had no answers. Tried to play zone and they killed us with the 3. Went back to man and it looked like a lay up drill. I called that coach the next week and got that offense sent to me. The next year we broke the top 20 in USA today. That offense is sweet when executed.

And by the way...Princeton ran a boring offense that beat people all the time when Pete Caril was there.

VN Store

Back