Wow...NO ONE is talking about the Vols

Jonboy

I've been making the rounds this afternoon on the top sports sites (ESPN, SI, Fox, CBS, etc...) and have found hardly anything about the Vols.

Much of the focus is on UK's dominance, the shocking Sweet 16 berths for Cornell and St. Marys, but very little of what I've seen even bothers to mention the Vols. I've seen two of those "re-ranking" the Sweet 16 and we came in at 15th and 16th.

Our favorite analyst, Mr. Seth Davis, has a video where he picks OSU (surprise surprise). He follows it up with a comment like "It's fitting that these 2 teams should meet in the Sweet 16." What the heck is he talking about?! I guess he's referring to our meeting with them 2 years ago, but he didn't explain it much at all.

Anyway, I think you get the point. It's pretty amazing how few people are even giving us a chance to get by OSU. Personally, I like it that way.

Go Vols:rock:

I just think that there are a bunch of other stories more interesting than UT to the general public at this point. You've got most people's national champ pick Kansas going down, MSU's best player injured, and one of the top (if not the top) players in the country in Turner at OSU. That's just in our region. You could argue we are the 4th most interesting team. I think CBP will use all of this as motivation though.

Rivals had a little blurb for our match-up... no real favortism in this little write up:

"This region has opened up with Kansas’ shocking departure. Can either of these teams take advantage? Ohio State runs a four-guard offense and lacks both big men and depth. But the Buckeyes have Evan Turner leading the way. Tennessee rarely looks pretty when it wins, but the Vols have done a lot of winning this season. Expect Vols coach Bruce Pearl to concoct some off-beat defenses to try to deter Turner. Neither team is overpowering on the boards, so that bears watching."

I think the biggest reason is because UT's a 6 seed who beat a 14 and an 11 seed. If they would've beaten a Georgetown team a lot of people were high on then I bet you'd be hearing more about them. And also what oldblood said. There are just bigger stories out there.

Thanks for sharing. I don't have Insider, but at least there's something out there about us.

I just think that there are a bunch of other stories more interesting than UT to the general public at this point. You've got most people's national champ pick Kansas going down, MSU's best player injured, and one of the top (if not the top) players in the country in Turner at OSU. That's just in our region. You could argue we are the 4th most interesting team. I think CBP will use all of this as motivation though.
Very true. I think it's definitely something we can use to our advantage.

It doesn't really matter. We have a great chance at winning this game. It's by far the easiest sweet 16 matchup under Pearl. OSU is a good team, but I think we matchup very well with them. We come to play, we win.

It doesn't really matter. We have a great chance at winning this game. It's by far the easiest sweet 16 matchup under Pearl. OSU is a good team, but I think we matchup very well with them. We come to play, we win.

I agree, the Louisville and OSU teams of the previous sweet 16 games had alot more talent. I think this is our most talented team from an experience and athleticism standpoint.

I agree, the Louisville and OSU teams of the previous sweet 16 games had alot more talent. I think this is our most talented team from an experience and athleticism standpoint.

To be honest, we had no buisness being in that game against OSU. That Louisville game was just a terrible matchup for us. They were bigger and more athletic. We had to hit shots and play very well to win that one, and we just didn't.

To be honest, we had no buisness being in that game against OSU. That Louisville game was just a terrible matchup for us. They were bigger and more athletic. We had to hit shots and play very well to win that one, and we just didn't.

Nonsense. We played them extremely close earlier in that same season in Columbus. There was no reason to think we weren't going to challenge them. To be honest, we should have won that game

Yeah the OSU game was one where we were playing with house money, but it still stung after we lost, since we were up by 20...

Nonsense. We played them extremely close earlier in that same season in Columbus. There was no reason to think we weren't going to challenge them. To be honest, we should have won that game

Yes, we should have won the game, but the game in Columbus was one of Oden's first games from injury back earlier that year which may be why it was so close. Also, in the regular season game, Lofton exploded at the end to keep it close.

Please....we played well above our heads in those games. Sure we should have won, but talent wise we couldn't touch them.

We just happened to play well above our heads in both games?

Yes....we caught OSU sleepwalking in the first half of the sweet 16 game. We got dominated in the 2nd half by Oden and Conley. Like I said, talent wise we couldn't matchup.

Looking back at that game, I guess David Lighty is the only remaining player from that game still playing. He hit a late three to help them win the game.

We've gotta make it out of the Sweet 16 to be taken seriously. It frustrates me too to not hear much about us, but it's tough to get talked about until we can finally break through to the next round. We beat OSU and I guarantee a few people will take note. We'd likely be favored in the next game.

VN Store

Back