Thoughts on the MidWest Region Next Week

Wise-Vol

1. Very interesting mismatch for both teams. When the Vols are on defense, who does Chism guard? When the Vols are on offense, who guards Chism and Williams? Lighty was playing PF defense for OSU today. Can he handle Chism or Williams. I have to think because of Chism's footwork, this mismatch favors the Vols. I don't know who Chism guards. I'm sure it isn't Turner (JP likely gets him), or Lauderdale (except when Williams is on the bench) and I'm pretty sure it won't be Buford. So, can Chism handle Lighty or Diebler?

2. This may be the game where we don't have to play Baby Pearl. It seems to me that Tatum can get some minutes when Williams comes off the floor. OTOH, I don't think this is a game where Pearl is as much a liability on the defensive end. I think, however, with OSU's quickness and athleticism Pearl could be a bigger liability than usual on the offensive end.

3. OSU is one of the thinnest teams you will see. Hopson, Prince, Maze, and Chism all have the ability to create foul problems for the defense. If OSU gets any one of their starters in foul trouble, they become a very different team. I wonder if this late in the season, they aren't a bit tired.

4. OSU is not a dominant rebounding team. They would be right above middle of the conference in the SEC. When Lauderdale goes to the bench and Madsen comes in, there is a significant drop in rebounding for them.

5. OSU has no true PG. Turner is their PG. I believe they are susceptible to turnovers. They average 11 per game. Against Ga. Tech they had 18 and Georgia Tech was inept for most of that game.

6. As you can imagine, a team that has so many perimeter players, relies somewhat on the three point shot. They are in the top 25 in the NCAA in 3 point percentage. That is good because 3 point defense is our thing. They also don't seem to run many ball screens, which should also help us avoid further mismatches. Their offense seems to be a Turner or Lighty one on one and a kick to Diebler for a three point shot.

7. With respect to MSU and Northern Iowa, the good thing about those two teams is that neither can handle pressure. This may be the perfect storm for the Vols if we can beat OSU. MSU may have lost their PG (and leading scorer) Jai Lucas with an Achilles tear today. And N.Iowa absolutely looked feeble when Kansas starting pressing them. They couldn't get the ball in most of the time and when they did, they had a hard time advancing it. This would be the perfect scenario for Bruce to throw in the Vol press in the Elite 8.

This is quite an opportunity for the Vols. If JP plays great defense on Turner, Chism plays like a man in the low post, and Maze and Hopson come to play, we can beat OSU and then get a very favorable match-up in the Elite 8 with 40 minutes between us and the Final Four.

1. Very interesting mismatch for both teams. When the Vols are on defense, who does Chism guard? When the Vols are on offense, who guards Chism and Williams? Lighty was playing PF defense for OSU today. Can he handle Chism or Williams. I have to think because of Chism's footwork, this mismatch favors the Vols. I don't know who Chism guards. I'm sure it isn't Turner (JP likely gets him), or Lauderdale (except when Williams is on the bench) and I'm pretty sure it won't be Buford. So, can Chism handle Lighty or Diebler?

2. This may be the game where we don't have to play Baby Pearl. It seems to me that Tatum can get some minutes when Williams comes off the floor. OTOH, I don't think this is a game where Pearl is as much a liability on the defensive end. I think, however, with OSU's quickness and athleticism Pearl could be a bigger liability than usual on the offensive end.

3. OSU is one of the thinnest teams you will see. Hopson, Prince, Maze, and Chism all have the ability to create foul problems for the defense. If OSU gets any one of their starters in foul trouble, they become a very different team. I wonder if this late in the season, they aren't a bit tired.

4. OSU is not a dominant rebounding team. They would be right above middle of the conference in the SEC. When Lauderdale goes to the bench and Madsen comes in, there is a significant drop in rebounding for them.

5. OSU has no true PG. Turner is their PG. I believe they are susceptible to turnovers. They average 11 per game. Against Ga. Tech they had 18 and Georgia Tech was inept for most of that game.

6. As you can imagine, a team that has so many perimeter players, relies somewhat on the three point shot. They are in the top 25 in the NCAA in 3 point percentage. That is good because 3 point defense is our thing. They also don't seem to run many ball screens, which should also help us avoid further mismatches. Their offense seems to be a Turner or Lighty one on one and a kick to Diebler for a three point shot.

7. With respect to MSU and Northern Iowa, the good thing about those two teams is that neither can handle pressure. This may be the perfect storm for the Vols if we can beat OSU. MSU may have lost their PG (and leading scorer) Jai Lucas with an Achilles tear today. And N.Iowa absolutely looked feeble when Kansas starting pressing them. They couldn't get the ball in most of the time and when they did, they had a hard time advancing it. This would be the perfect scenario for Bruce to throw in the Vol press in the Elite 8.

This is quite an opportunity for the Vols. If JP plays great defense on Turner, Chism plays like a man in the low post, and Maze and Hopson come to play, we can beat OSU and then get a very favorable match-up in the Elite 8 with 40 minutes between us and the Final Four.

Great post.....what an opportunity for the Vols. This might be our best shot we have ever had to making a final 4.

Good post and great opportunity for the Vols. Of the remaining top seeds, OSU is probably our best match up.

Yes, excellent job by the Vols this season with all that has gone on. It would be absolutely incredible if we were to go to the Final Four. Heck, i'd probably have a party if we finally go to the Elite Eight. But one step at a time, lets get Ohio St. first. Hopefully, this program is finally turning the corner.

I just hope Tennessee finally gets over the hump and advance. It would be great to see them beat OSU.

The Lucas injury will really hurt MSU, understatement, I know.

I didn't realize just how thin OSU is, would not surprise me to see Bruce play an uptempo game at times, try and wind them.

So pumped for this game...I truly believe that we will win and make our first Elite 8.

All I have to say is Tyler Smith you idiot! If we had him as an extra player we could be in the catbird seat to get to the final four. Oh well, your loss. GBO

yeah they both really folded at the end of their games.

All I have to say is Tyler Smith you idiot! If we had him as an extra player we could be in the catbird seat to get to the final four. Oh well, your loss. GBO

I respectfully disagree. I think this is a much better team without T. Smith.

It was the best thing to happen to this team.

We look to be in pretty good shape for the rest of the region.

UNI got lucky that Kansas was looking ahead and they took advantage. However, they wont get that benefit the rest of the way and will probably lose to MSU

MSU has just enough talent to beat UNI but not enough to avoid the inevitable collapse by not having Lucas if they end up going against our defense.

OSU doesn't have the depth to go against us. Plus the announcers mentioned more than once that to beat OSU you need to perimeter defense which is what we are best at.

All in all we have a pretty good shoot to play into April. :good!:

I disagree. I think we have played better without him!

I agree...I think that whole incident galvanized this team....

As much as I still like Tyler Smith I have to agree. For the last two years we had the whole Lakers stand around and wait for Kobe to make a play thing going on with Tyler. Him leaving has forced everyone else to step up.

This is unfolding very nicely for the Vols. But they need to take it one game at a time. Focus on the task at hand.

Control what they can control. It's going to be a fun ride.

Great post.....what an opportunity for the Vols. This might be our best shot we have ever had to making a final 4.

In 2000 we were a 4 and the 1(Stanford),2(Cincinati), and 3(OSU) seeds all got put out in the 2nd round practically paving the road to the Final 4 and we choked. We drew 8 seed UNC in the Sweet 16 and blew it. We would have drawn Tulsa in the Elite 8 (a 7 seed). The kicker of it all is we would have drawn Florida in the National semis, a team we swept that year.

This year is shaping up pretty well but nothing will ever be as disappointing as that year. It makes me sick to think about it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Kalin Lucas is the MSU guard. Jai Lucas was the Florida guard who is now with Texas. I get their names confused as well.

VN Store

Back