Ten Thoughts (Sweet Sixteen Edition)

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. Tennessee vs. Ohio State is going to be an excellent game. It will be down to the wire no matter who wins. I think this is going to be the best game of the Regional Semi's.

2. If there is one person who can at least contain Turner, it's Prince. He has played very good defense as of late. His length, size, and quickness is going to give Turner some problems.

3. They have no size. For once, we have the clear size advantage against a power conference opponent. If we can get Dallas Lauderdale in foul trouble, it will be an excellent advantage we need to exploit.

4. Having said that, Ohio State double teams as well as anybody I have seen. They gave Georgia Tech hell on double teams. Hopefully we are able to get the ball out quick out of double teams and move the ball for open shots (something that cost Ga. Tech the game).

5. Offensive rebounding will be huge. Easy baskets will be hard to come by, because Ohio State defends well. The more you crash the offensive glass, the more easy bucket opportunities you will get.

6. The Vols have to get a hand in Diebler's face the entire game. He will knock down shots. He moves okay moving without the ball, but he gets a lot of them from drive-n-kicks and transition. UT has to locate him at all times.

7. It won't surprise me if Ohio State goes zone. We did a decent job against Ohio against the zone. But OSU is quicker and longer. Ball movement will be the key to beat the zone. Move the ball around for good looks.

8. David Lighty is a tough match-up. He is a wing playing the 4, and on offense can create problems. Something maybe Bruce should look into is to put Chism on Diebler, since Diebler doesn't drive the ball effectively and Chism can play off him a little because of his length. Chism also can move his feet well for a big man, so maybe not a bad idea. Then you can put Scotty on Lighty. Just something Bruce can look into. Also when OSU doesn't play zone, we need to get Chism or Williams the ball whoever Lighty is guarding.

9. To Scotty Hopson: Good job against Ohio. You played well, and you finished the game strong. There's an excellent chance Turner (a solid defender) will guard you. Don't let him get in your head. Come out strong, take the ball to the hole, and hit open shots. If you struggle offensively, don't let it affect your rebounding or defense. Like it or not, you are the key to the game. Play well, we have an excellent shot to advance. You don't, we lose.

10. I know this was long, but there's a lot to talk about. We have to make sure Diebler doesn't get good looks, Scotty plays well, and use our size to our advantage. It's going to be a great game, and I believe we match-up well with them. In an excellent game, I think the Vols are going to win.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Good post.

I just cant see a team that plays 5 players most of the game beating us. I think we win by 10+, but thats just my opinion.

GO VOLS!! Lets keep it going!

Lighty worries me the most. He is pretty dynamic. Turner will get his points, mainly because he shoots double the amount or even triple the amount of shots that any of his teammates take. Lighty is explosive and finds ways to get open.

Bruce knows that our bench will be the key. I think we may see Bone again this game and maybe even McBee. I hope not, but if it gives our other players a minute to rest and them down, it might have a significant impact. It will be a close game though. Play the underdog card again Bruce. We can win.

Bone should play. If he doesn't play over McBee, I'm going to be very pissed.

Could Bruce pull the press out of the bag for this game? Or did they completely stop practicing it?

Good post.

I just cant see a team that plays 5 players most of the game beating us. I think we win by 10+, but thats just my opinion.

Without reading what everyone else has to say, I think this is a very important point. Either we get them into foul trouble, or just wait until they tire out. As long as we are not down 20 at that point, we will be fine.

The teams that I dread are the ones who have a couple of reserves at every position, just waiting on the bench for their turn. I know very little about OSU, but Pearl almost always wins against teams with little depth.

Both teams should be well-rested, but we have had one extra day to prepare for them. I think that bodes well for Tennessee.

Good post.

Agree I dont think they can beat us with 5 players Thad Matta has to go to his bench early.

osu does have some very good players starting, but think of this.

osu has no bench.
tenn has one of the most involved benches around.

that right there is the advantage that should help us win the game. we will be able to foul often enough to prevent them from hitting shots and getting into rythym, yet have enough bodies to play to ensure none of our key players foul out.

9. To Scotty Hopson: Good job against Ohio. You played well, and you finished the game strong. There's an excellent chance Turner (a solid defender) will guard you. Don't let him get in your head. Come out strong, take the ball to the hole, and hit open shots. If you struggle offensively, don't let it affect your rebounding or defense. Like it or not, you are the key to the game. Play well, we have an excellent shot to advance. You don't, we lose.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Good post.

#9 is arguably true for pretty much every game we play. I really like Hopson and have defended his play (and his game generally) at various points this season. I love his game when he brings it. I hope he brings it.

Good post.

#9 is arguably true for pretty much every game we play. I really like Hopson and have defended his play (and his game generally) at various points this season. I love his game when he brings it. I hope he brings it.

I'd like for him to really make Turner expend some energy playing defense. So if I'm Pearl, I'm making very clear to Scotty that standing in the corner the whole game is not an option.

I have a feeling Cam Tatum becomes a integral part of this game. He is big for a guard, but still quick. You cannot have Chism on the perimeter because you lose the rebounding advantage and because of the fact that he is prone to foul trouble. So when Tatum is in, he can take over guarding a larger and athletic man. I can very well see him on Lighty. Chism will have to be on Lauderdale. I agree with Prince on Turner, Hopson on Diebler, and Maze on Buford. This way, you can run a 4 guard lineup sometimes, but still be dominant enough in the paint and have the rebounding edge. Steven Pearl will be in a rotation with Tatum. With this you lose speed, but gain determination and scrappiness. Williams' minutes will be limited because he just is not athletic enough to keep up with a game full of athletes.

This is all my opinion, but I see alot of it coming true.

I'd like for him to really make Turner expend some energy playing defense. So if I'm Pearl, I'm making very clear to Scotty that standing in the corner the whole game is not an option.

If I were coaching this team, Scotty Hopson would be *required* to take the ball to the basket at least 3 times per half.

I'm not sure how I would enforce this rule (because taking him out of the game to punish him would kinda defeat the purpose)...but I'm sure I could come up with something.

If I were coaching this team, Scotty Hopson would be *required* to take the ball to the basket at least 3 times per half.

I'm not sure how I would enforce this rule (because taking him out of the game to punish him would kinda defeat the purpose)...but I'm sure I could come up with something.

Exactly right. If he wants to mope around on offense, put Tatum in.

Could Bruce pull the press out of the bag for this game? Or did they completely stop practicing it?

Maybe in certain situations, but there's no need for a complete overhaul, especially when our defensive gameplan has done very well as it is now.

Get him involved early. Run some screens for him, some pick-n-rolls, maybe some iso's. Get him involved early so he can keep it up throughout the game.

Agree.

Get him involved early. Run some screens for him, some pick-n-rolls, maybe some iso's. Get him involved early so he can keep it up throughout the game.

I agree. You have to make Turner defend; he plays 40 minutes a game and making him really exert some energy defensively will take his legs at the end.

I agree. You have to make Turner defend; he plays 40 minutes a game and making him really exert some energy defensively will take his legs at the end.

Then I would pick him up full-court. Make him exert some more energy. I wouldn't trap him or anything, but pressure him and see what happens.

Then I would pick him up full-court. Make him exert some more energy. I wouldn't trap him or anything, but pressure him and see what happens.

I agree. I'm guarding him with Hopson, Tatum, Prince throughout the game (Prince primarily). And every time he puts the ball on the floor, I'm running a second guy at him.

VN Store

Back