Advantage or Disadvantage Matchup with OSU?

BasketVolKid

do we go small or stay big?

lauderdale - F 6-8 260
turner - PG 6-7 210
lighty - G/F 6-5 225
diebler - G 6-6 210
buford - G 6-5 200

chism
JP
tatum
maze on diebler since there is no way flop will stay with diebler. not that diebler is quick... but flop won't want to run around and follow diebler since he's pretty good at moving without the ball to get open.
flop on buford

The key will be shutting down Diebler. Wayne will likely be on Lighty, and I like his size advantage on him. We can't afford to leave Diebler open all day.

uh.... wayne on lighty is not a matchup i like. wayne on lighty is 2 fouls for chism in the first 5 minutes guaranteed.
You might be right, but I like our size advantage with Wayne and Brian out there.

i said we should start smaller lineup.

I disagree. We want to neutralize our size advantage in order to close the quickness gap? Let's just play our game, use our customary advantages and deal with the deficiencies we know how to deal with.

so who starts on Lighty?

yeah it will be interesting to see what matchups pearl goes with to start. our size advantage becomes a quickness disadvantage... giving us an edge on Offense and on the boards... but a disadvantage on D because Dieb and Lighty are both SG/SF's.

i think we can make use of our size advantage at some point. but Lighty is a real matchup problem.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about Lighty at all, I'm worried about Diebler...he gets out in transition and drills spot up 3's with ease...looking at their line-up, they have good size from top to bottom but having only one real interior player will hurt them...I see Wayne having a big day.

I wonder if we may put a guard on Lighty and use Wayne/Pearl on whichever guard has the least quickness (Diebler?). I doubt we'll ever see Williams and Hall in the game together. Prince will have to guard Turner. I'm not sure who would fare best against Lighty. It may be Maze. After all, despite being a forward, he's the shortest guy on their team. That would leave Chism and Hopson to guard Diebler and Buford.

Question: how did we play Mississippi State during their long stretches of four guard play?

I wonder if we may put a guard on Lighty and use Wayne/Pearl on whichever guard has the least quickness (Diebler?). I doubt we'll ever see Williams and Hall in the game together. Prince will have to guard Turner. I'm not sure who would fare best against Lighty. It may be Maze. After all, despite being a forward, he's the shortest guy on their team. That would leave Chism and Hopson to guard Diebler and Buford.

buford is a 6-5 guard
Dieb is a 6-6 G/F who plays strictly on the perimeter.

we have flopson and chism to guard both of those guys.

chism out on the perimeter shadowing diebler effectly takes away our advantage on the Defensive Glass... and puts chism guarding a guy out on the 3 point line where he's certainly not used to being on defense... which means early foul trouble for chism.

buford is a 6-5 guard
Dieb is a 6-6 G/F who plays strictly on the perimeter.

we have flopson and chism to guard both of those guys.

chism out on the perimeter shadowing diebler effectly takes away our advantage on the Defensive Glass... and puts chism guarding a guy out on the 3 point line where he's certainly not used to being on defense... which means early foul trouble for chism.

But don't they have four guys who play chiefly on the perimeter? Chism has to guard one of them. I'd put him on whichever one has the least mobility. If I'm incorrect on the facts about their system, then obviously the suggestion is wrong. Am I?

Ohio State is not a good team. Their fans and entire coaching staff (not to mention Turner--flopping on every play) lobby for calls more than anyone I've ever seen in my life.

The referees took two top 15 NBA first rounders out of the game, and that's how OSU had any chance.

Take away Turner (or limit him) and get out on Diebler (who is in his own right a douche) and the Vols will win this...

Make sure you don't hand check, or try to post up aggressively (the referees will call a foul).

Yes, I'm bitter about today.

bam: Arribes Grandes (Or Big Ups for our English only readers...) on the avatar!!! I wonder how many folks recognize Stanley Morgan? I wish thePatriots (even though I hate 'em!!) would go back to the old Red White & Blue uni's.....

Throwbacks are beautiful, and Stanley Morgan was amazing.

But don't they have four guys who play chiefly on the perimeter? Chism has to guard one of them. I'd put him on whichever one has the least mobility. If I'm incorrect on the facts about their system, then obviously the suggestion is wrong. Am I?

yes they do. which is why i think we should start tatum over williams.

jp on turner
chism or bwill on lauderdale
flop on dieb
maze on buford
chism or tatum on lighty

i just think chism following dieb or lighty out on the perimeter is foul trouble for chism guaranteed.

Last edited:
Ohio State is not a good team. Their fans and entire coaching staff (not to mention Turner--flopping on every play) lobby for calls more than anyone I've ever seen in my life.

The referees took two top 15 NBA first rounders out of the game, and that's how OSU had any chance.

Take away Turner (or limit him) and get out on Diebler (who is in his own right a douche) and the Vols will win this...

Make sure you don't hand check, or try to post up aggressively (the referees will call a foul).

Because you wanted the easier matchup?

whats your problem with hopson??? he is by far not a flop.. yes he didnt live up to his 5 star rating as of now but a very solid player who can finish and shoot.. just needs to work on his dribbling and IQ and i think will be a very good 4 year starter at ut

The scariest matchup to me is how many Vol fans will travel to St. louis. Ohio St will travel well. We might get more of the Michigan St fans cheering for us which could help.

jp on turner
chism or bwill on lauderdale
flop on dieb
maze on buford
chism or tatum on lighty

i just think chism following dieb or lighty out on the perimeter is foul trouble for chism guaranteed.

How did Williams work out against the perimeter-heavy lineup of Ohio? I doubt the starting lineup will change.

Oh and on the subject of "flop" whom I'm assuming is Hopson. Didn't he shut down one of the two Ohio guards yesterday? But he can't stay with Diebler? Give me a break.

I'm not in any way discounting what you just wrote, but shooting under 30% and heavy turnovers in the first half didn't help GT's cause any.

Off subject, but their fans are total douche bags:

Scout.com: Vol Fan Here

I've seen worse. At least a couple of the Ohio St. fans came to his defense. But the whole "backwoods hillbilly" thing really just shows the utter ignorance of some of them. The funny thing is, is when they say stuff like that, they're making themselves look more ignorant than they think we are. The even funnier thing is, is that the vast majority of them have probably never even been to the south.

Now, about the game, i love our chances. I really just don't see them beating us, and if they do, it won't be by much and i think we'll have to have a bad game. They simply don't have enough depth. Once we get their starters tired/in foul trouble, they'll have one hell of a time trying to keep up with us. Not to mention, just looking at them player vs. player with us, we match up really well with them. I'd like to see Prince on Turner.

And I respect that idea, because it seems like it ought to work. That said, we've tried starting four guards twice this year and it failed miserably both times. I think Chism is quick enough to guard a perimeter player without picking up fouls, just as long as the perimeter player isn't particularly quick. Thus, Diebler seems like an easier assignment than Lighty. We lose a little bit of our advantage on the defensive boards, but we keep our size advantage on offense, which is where we need it. I'm confident in our D.

Oh and on the subject of "flop" whom I'm assuming is Hopson. Didn't he shut down one of the two Ohio guards yesterday? But he can't stay with Diebler? Give me a break.

yes it's well known flop is a lock down defender... and a 5 star one and done.

hopefully by the time he's a SR he'll be draftable.

VN Store

Back