Who Is Dr. Tom Davis?

OrangeNehi

An analyst on ESPN said on Saturday that Bruce Pearl had brought "Dr. Tom Davis basketball" to UT. Who is Dr. Tom Davis?

Boston College coach who Pearl learned a lot of his stuff under.

Coached Iowa for a number of years.

Boston College, Iowa, Stanford, Drake former head coach. Bruce Pearl was an assistant under him and is part of the Dr Tom Davis coaching tree. Davis' son (Keno -- HC Providence) was an assistant under Pearl

He was the head coach at Iowa when CBP was an assistant coach there. Pearl runs his offense now at UT.

He was the head coach at Iowa when CBP was an assistant coach there. Pearl runs his offense now at UT.

I think he was one of the early users of the "Flex." Makes sense because both Gary Williams and Pearl studied under him and both use the "Flex."

I think he was one of the early users of the "Flex." Makes sense because both Gary Williams and Pearl studied under him and both use the "Flex."

I thought so too, but wasn't sure so didn't say anything about it. Does Pearl use his press when/if we ever get back to it, or did he pick that up somewhere else? I don't remember Iowa s a pressing team, but they could have.

Pearl was a mascot/administrative assistant at Boston College majoring in business administration, and Davis was the head basketball coach. Davis saw something in Pearl gave him an opportunity to be an assistant coach then Pearl followed Davis to Stanford and Iowa. Not many coaches would give a "mascot" that kind of opportunity, so Pearl is very indebted to him.

Last edited:
He was a good coach, not great.

I don't know. Iowa has sucked hard since they ran him off. Even Steve Alford had trouble there.

Davis' problem at Iowa was simply that it was Iowa. You don't have much of a recruiting base there. His first year, he inherited a team with some future NBA players like B.J. Armstrong and Brad Lohaus, and made it to the Great Eight. After that, he'd finish in the middle of the Big Ten every year and then make it to the second round of the NCAAs and lose. After about a dozen years of this, Iowa decided they could do better and "retired" him. They haven't done better.

Let's just say I'm far more impressed with Tom Davis' coaching tree than I am with the rotten apples we've gotten from Dean Smith's.

Everything Pearl does is Tom's philosophy. Tom Davis was a damn good basketball coach, and we are lucky enough to have one of his products.

VN Store

Back