Some Thoughts on the Tournament So Far

Wise-Vol

1. Forget seeding. I'm now convinced that the Committee utilizes no criteria whatsoever in seeding. They simply try to go for the best match-ups and at this level it is all about match-ups. That is why so many of these games are so close. Vandy would eat a team like us (or SDSU) alive; so the Committee gives them Murray State. Florida and BYU wasn't a 7/10. It was a match-up between two teams that go right at each other's weaknesses; thus, creating an amazing match-up.

2. There is a heckuva lot more parity in CBB when the Committee imposes its made for television match-up criteria. One of the worst calls you will ever see propelled Nova past the first day over RM. So far, we've had only two runaways (Baylor and St. Mary's and the St. Mary's game was close for 30 minutes).

3. The Big East isn't somehow head and shoulders above other conferences. ND and Nova showed that. I have a feeling that picking Marquette was a bad move and that someone in the West is going to be very happy that Cuse is the 1 in their region.

4. As bad as I feel about my Vandy to the Elite 8 pick, I'm feeling pretty good right now about my St. Mary's to the Sweet 16 pick. How can they not be favored over Villanova?

5. After watching these games, I'm now convinced that I have no idea what is going to happen tonight (other than that Kansas and Kentucky are going to roll).

So far the losses by Vandy and Fla confirm my fear--that the SEC isn't very good, outside of Kentucky. And I can't stand Kentucky

I will be scouting Georgetown this evening. Have to get ready when the Vols face them in rd 2. ;)

Last year Villanova almost got beat in Round 1. Then they made a run to the Final Four. Close losses have a way of waking teams up.

Two things: First, lower seeds tend to be very competitive in the early rounds--and even more so this year. Second, the SEC sux--bad. We got four teams in the tourney--and even tho most people knew or suspected that florida wasn't very good--two are quickly out, and I frankly doubt the Vols last very long either. I'd also bet that Kentucky will get bounced--when, I'm not sure, but they will be bounced. Kentucky dominated the SEC this year despite being very young and despite the fact that there two best players, or two of three, were true freshmen. That really shouldn't happen--and wouldn't if the SEC were a better conference. I'm sorry to say it--hope i'm wrong--but sometime during the 2nd half tonight, we'll probably be saying: Yep, we actually weren't underseeded by the committee after all. If we win by 12, I'll take my punishment!

Two things: First, lower seeds tend to be very competitive in the early rounds--and even more so this year. Second, the SEC sux--bad. We got four teams in the tourney--and even tho most people knew or suspected that florida wasn't very good--two are quickly out, and I frankly doubt the Vols last very long either. I'd also bet that Kentucky will get bounced--when, I'm not sure, but they will be bounced. Kentucky dominated the SEC this year despite being very young and despite the fact that there two best players, or two of three, were true freshmen. That really shouldn't happen--and wouldn't if the SEC were a better conference. I'm sorry to say it--hope i'm wrong--but sometime during the 2nd half tonight, we'll probably be saying: Yep, we actually weren't underseeded by the committee after all. If we win by 12, I'll take my punishment!

I don't see how the Florida result today proves anything about the SEC. They played a higher seed and lost in double overtime. That result, if anything, makes the SEC look good.

Vandy, on the other hand, stunk up big-time. A lot of teams would look dominant playing a 16 seed. Once you get inside those 15 seeds, however, every team is very capable of getting it done.

You are not giving Murray State enough credit....

Murray St was the quicker team and they were the more disciplined team....Every time Vandy made a run the Racers answered....They out-hustled Vandy and played like they wanted to be there....This team has won 31 games...They are not going out without a fight....

Every coach in every locker room should be telling his guys, regardless of who they're playing, "you'd better be ready to go, because cinderella is ready to break curfew!"

Beware the ides boys. This has been a great start.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back