Predictions thread

emainvol

Giver of Sexy
Since the better part of the discussion in this forum has been about predictions for this season, I figured I would hit you with some of my own. Feel free to add your own bold, not so bold, or plain ridiculous predictions.

1. There will be no 5-12 upset. Not this year. The 5s are too good, and while some of the 12s are underseeded, it won't make a difference after 40 minutes of play. UTEP and Cornell will scare Butler and Temple, respectively, but in the end the high seeds will advance. In fact...

2. There just won't be many upsets in the first round. BigPapaVol noted that there are a ton of vogue upset picks right now. The problem is, there have to be. Upsets are what make everyone tune in for the first round. Hell, upsets are what took me from a casual CBB fan to a rabid one. So, don't expect too much to come from anything beyond the 6-11 matchups, and don't expect too much deviation from the chalk on those either. Which brings us to...

3. Tennessee WILL beat SDSU. Everyone on this board knows I am not a homer, so you can get behind me on this. Bruce Pearl has lost once in the first round so far at UT, and that was last year to OSU. The team came off a bit of a let down then, but nothing like the absolutely embarrassing loss to Kentucky. You think this team doesn't want to do something in the tournament? I don't think the emotions are good for more than a fairly comfortable victory over the MWC tourney champ, although a Sweet 16 appearance is certainly doable, but we'll at least be watching Chism play two more games for the Vols.

4. The Big 12 will get at least three (and maybe 4) into the Elite Eight. Kansas, Kansas St, and one of Baylor and Texas A&M. Along with the Big East they will dominate the list of participants in the regional finals. Makes sense, they were easily the two best conferences in the country.

5. Kansas will win this tournament over Kentucky. Sorry guys, I know you hate it, but it's going to happen. Rematch between two of the best coaches in the land, and Bill Self will take part deux (albeit it with a little less drama than part one).

Last edited:
I am 100% on board with your numbers 4 and 5.

Some folks thought you were crazy, I looked at my bracket and saw a completely feasible scenario.

Of course, I am actually rooting against my number 4 since the bracket I already turned in for my money league only has 2. I think I have time to change it

I don't make up my mind until Thursday morning, at least as it pertains to how I think it will all play out. Well, usually at least.

Last edited:
I was also planning to slow play any upsets in the 1st round. Not sure this bodes well for your prediction, though. :)

1. There will be no 5-12 upset. Not this year. The 5s are too good, and while some of the 12s are underseeded, it won't make a difference after 40 minutes of play. UTEP and Cornell will scare Butler and Temple

Shiz.. Both Cornell and UTEP will win.

Some folks thought you were crazy, I looked at my bracket and saw a completely feasible scenario.

Of course, I am actually rooting against my number 4 since the bracket I already turned in for my money league only has 2. I think I have time to change it

I don't make up my mind until Thursday morning, at least as it pertains to how I think it will all play out. Well, usually at least.

I just don't see it. Baylor will not beat Duke, OK State will lose to Tennessee/Georgetown and K-State will lose to Xavier.

3, 4 and 5 are all right on, IMO. I believe there will be, at least, one 5-12 upset. The two games you noted were upsets in a couple of my brackets. I'm going on record as saying that Cornell will beat Temple.

Tennessee will win by 10+. It has the makings of a mid-major beat down, though.

If Cornell does win in the first round, they will not beat Wiscy.

It will be a good one. Wisconsin just doesn't have enough fire power on O to overcome lights out shooting, which I am banking on Cornell doing for the first two games. Here's to Wittman having a Stephon Curryesque type performance in this year's tourney.

I picked Louisville to beat the 8, then upset Duke. They are much like us in the fact that depending on what team shows up, they can look like a final 4 team or a first round loss team.

Since the better part of the discussion in this forum has been about predictions for this season, I figured I would hit you with some of my own. Feel free to add your own bold, not so bold, or plain ridiculous predictions.

1. There will be no 5-12 upset. Not this year. The 5s are too good, and while some of the 12s are underseeded, it won't make a difference after 40 minutes of play. UTEP and Cornell will scare Butler and Temple, respectively, but in the end the high seeds will advance. In fact...

2. There just won't be many upsets in the first round. BigPapaVol noted that there are a ton of vogue upset picks right now. The problem is, there have to be. Upsets are what make everyone tune in for the first round. Hell, upsets are what took me from a casual CBB fan to a rabid one. So, don't expect too much to come from anything beyond the 6-11 matchups, and don't expect too much deviation from the chalk on those either. Which brings us to...

3. Tennessee WILL beat SDSU. Everyone on this board knows I am not a homer, so you can get behind me on this. Bruce Pearl has lost once in the first round so far at UT, and that was last year to OSU. The team came off a bit of a let down then, but nothing like the absolutely embarrassing loss to Kentucky. You think this team doesn't want to do something in the tournament? I don't think the emotions are good for more than a fairly comfortable victory over the MWC tourney champ, although a Sweet 16 appearance is certainly doable, but we'll at least be watching Chism play two more games for the Vols.

4. The Big 12 will get at least three (and maybe 4) into the Elite Eight. Kansas, Kansas St, and one of Baylor and Texas A&M. Along with the Big East they will dominate the list of participants in the regional finals. Makes sense, they were easily the two best conferences in the country.

5. UK will win this tournament over KU. Sorry guys, I know you hate it, but it's going to happen. Rematch between two of the best coaches in the land, and Cal will take part deux (albeit it with a little less drama than part one).

Emain spot on my friend, well said...FYP just a tad, but I couldn't agree more with you sir. :)

Nice job emain. Excellent points. I agree with you on everything except UK. I think Wisconsin takes them out.

VN Store

Back