UT can make (and possibly make) the Final Four if...

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. Scotty Hopson plays out of his mind.

2. Wayne Chism stays out of foul trouble throughout the games.

3. JP Prince and Bobby Maze play consistent basketball throughout the tourney.

Thoughts?

2 and 3 are likely. 1 I dont see happening. But yes if this does happen we would make the final four.

I meant (and possibly will) instead of (possibly make) in the thread title. My bad.

I would not say 2 or 3 are likely.

Every game could be the last game for these 3 guys. I would expect them to play the best ball of their careers in these final games. Having been a senior playing in a do or die tournament to end my career, I know how it feels.

We go past the sweet 16 if: 1) Wayne is more aggressive on the boards than he has ever been, 2) Scotty Hopson loses his fear of contact and gets into the lane, thus getting the other team into foul trouble and upping his point total, 3) Bobby Maze comes into a groove as a facilitator, 4) JP does what he does best - slash to the rim and draw fouls, 5) we make teams beat us on the drive and not from 3 pt land. #5 being the most important in my mind

If UT takes care of business in the first game and Georgetown is sloppy when we play them, then it wouldn't be too crazy.

It would require an upset of an OSU team that is better than UT but it isn't crazy to think they may slip up.

Then it would require a huge upset over Kansas...

It's not impossible, but i still doubt we're playing after this weekend.

I have a difficult time imagining this team playing solid 2 games in a row, let a lone 3 or 4.

We go past the sweet 16 if: 1) Wayne is more aggressive on the boards than he has ever been, 2) Scotty Hopson loses his fear of contact and gets into the lane, thus getting the other team into foul trouble and upping his point total, 3) Bobby Maze comes into a groove as a facilitator, 4) JP does what he does best - slash to the rim and draw fouls, 5) we make teams beat us on the drive and not from 3 pt land. #5 being the most important in my mind

1, 3, 4, & 5 can be done and has been.

This is all on Scotty. UT will be a really tough out if he plays excellent basketball. If he doesn't, we are likely to be out by 12:30 a.m. friday

I have a difficult time imagining this team playing solid 2 games in a row, let a lone 3 or 4.

agree...Like we've said before "The only consistent thing about this team is their inconsistency."

1, 3, 4, & 5 can be done and has been.

This is all on Scotty. UT will be a really tough out if he plays excellent basketball. If he doesn't, we are likely to be out by 12:30 a.m. friday

I know, and we win when they happen simultaneously.

If UT takes care of business in the first game and Georgetown is sloppy when we play them, then it wouldn't be too crazy.

It would require an upset of an OSU team that is better than UT but it isn't crazy to think they may slip up.

Then it would require a huge upset over Kansas...

It's not impossible, but i still doubt we're playing after this weekend.

I would like our chances against OSU if JP can control Evan Turner (in my opinion, the best player in the country). But that is a Mark Mangino size IF.

OSU is good, but they needed a miracle to beat Michigan and some bad decisions by Webber to get by Illinois. They're good, but definitely capable of screwing this up.

OSU is good, but they needed a miracle to beat Michigan and some bad decisions by Webber to get by Illinois. They're good, but definitely capable of screwing this up.

They have no inside game either. Lauderdale is okay, and that's it. Chism could have a field day against them. After Turner, they really aren't that good (as we saw with their 3-3 stretch).

We have to shoot better than we have been. I'm actually pretty pleased with where the halfcourt defense is at right now, but Hopson, Tatum, Maze, and (to some extent) Chism have to demonstrate that they can hit some open jumpers here and there, or we are toast.

We can't afford Scotty to play like he has been. If he starts doing that we need Tatum to take his minutes asap or we will get bounced early.

Thing is...even if we pull the unthinkable and beat SDSU, Georgetown, and Ohio State, I just can't see us getting past Kansas.

Why oh why couldn't the NCAA tourney be played at Thompson Boling?

And yeah....we've never beat Kansas before.....

I'm hoping we do well, but it's up to the 5 on the floor, not me.

You know, it is easy to get caught up in individual player's performances, but one thing Pearl has been able to do is overcome one player's bad outing by beating other teams with numbers.

Williams and Tatum have been coming on lately. I hope everyone plays well, but I am hoping that Tatum and Williams keep stepping up their game. If the bench comes through, I just think we can win the first two with excellent bench play.

1. Scotty Hopson plays out of his mind.

2. Wayne Chism stays out of foul trouble throughout the games.

3. JP Prince and Bobby Maze play consistent basketball throughout the tourney.

Thoughts?

All of the above and Georgetown doesn't show up.

Long, long shot. There's always a chance, and crazier things have happened but UT is in a ridiculously deep bracket.

Why oh why couldn't the NCAA tourney be played at Thompson Boling?

Yes, I was going to add to the list:

(4) The NCAA tournament moves our games to TBA.

We haven't played 4 really good games on the road all season, much less play 4 games in a row.

VN Store

Back