Look, yes UT got screwed with their seeding....

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
but that doesn't matter anymore. If Pearl and company want to be an elite program, this is the weekend to do it. Take care of SDSU (an good, solid team), and beat G'Town you will earn respect around the country. The players and coaches cannot let this affect them. Get over it, prepare like you have never prepared before, and tell your players to prove everyone wrong, and if you want to be respected, then go ahead and earn it.

Agreed. Listen, we deserved the six seed. Yes, it was one game, but I would assume that all 5 seeds and above did not have a 30 point loss at any point this year. This team is so hit and miss it is infuriating to watch at times. No ranked team should EVER lose by 30 points....regardless of the situation.

Agreed. Listen, we deserved the six seed. Yes, it was one game, but I would assume that all 5 seeds and above did not have a 30 point loss at any point this year. This team is so hit and miss it is infuriating to watch at times. No ranked team should EVER lose by 30 points....regardless of the situation.

I thought this team deserved a 4 or a 5. You want to punish them for Saturday's game with a 5? I got no problem with that. But a 6? No.

Yes they were punished for the Ky game thats the way it goes. If they wanted a better seed they should have put a better fight. I'm not knocking them it just is what it is. time to go prove them wrong this team has done it twice before this season lets do it again.
I thought this team deserved a 4 or a 5. You want to punish them for Saturday's game with a 5? I got no problem with that. But a 6? No.

The fact that our losses were pretty much blowout(5 of 8 losses by at least 11 points), did factor in the decision. Guys, I was as extremely disappointed and upset by the seed as anyone, but let's face it the NCAA Selection Committee is not going to call Bruce Pearl anytime soon and say "We made a mistake, we are changing your seed to a 5. Sorry for the trouble." It's time for the team to show everyone on the court they deserved a higher seed so that in the future they are given the opportunity for an over-seeding. Reputation matters in these things. If we can go out and play for a couple of weeks like the Kansas, Kentucky, or even Mississippi State games then seeding won't matter. We've proven we are capable of those type of games where we can beat anyone, we've done it twice.

Go get 'em Vols.

A little perspective.

Raise your hand if you thought TN would end up being a 6 seed after Tyler et al were suspended.

Also, after the KY beatdown the day before selection Sunday, a 6 seed is not that surprising. Disappointing yes!

I agree. I think I finally got to the point I could think this rationally about 2 PM today, also. Up until then, I was really, extremely pissed.

Purdue?

Watching the Vols in the second half against Kentucky, when we had maze, pearl, goins, hopson and prince on the floor, was like watching boys against men--we looked like a high-school group, so outmatched physically that we were throwing up ridiculous shots because that's all we could get! Small and scared. That was not a pretty stretch.

Watching the Vols in the second half against Kentucky, when we had maze, pearl, goins, hopson and prince on the floor, was like watching boys against men--we looked like a high-school group, so outmatched physically that we were throwing up ridiculous shots because that's all we could get! Small and scared. That was not a pretty stretch.

I hate blaming officials, because most of the time it's a cheap excuse, but saturday night was a travesty. The players should never quit, but you can tell it was like "what can we do?." Same thing for Mississippi State sunday. It just was not fair.

True. Butler certainly wouldn't have had a late season 30 point beatdown at the hands of Wright State, Milwaukee, Valpo, or Siena.

Michigan State didn't have to worry about a 30 point loss to the closest team to a No. 1 seed they might see in the Big 10 tourney (Ohio State) because they got bounced early by an NIT team.

A&M didn't get beat by 30 in their tournament loss to Kansas; but, then again, A&M didn't have to play two games in two days before facing Kansas either.

Temple wasn't going to get beat by 30 by ST. Bonaventure, Rhode Island, or Richmond in their conference tournament.

Looking back at their schedules, of course, not many of those 5 seeds played #1 seeds (we had 4 games against #1 seeds). Temple, however, did face Kansas. No, they didn't lose by 29. They lost by 32...at home.

Butler, of course, didn't play any #1 seeds and the one #2 seed they did play was without their best player at the time.

A&M did play Kansas twice (and lose twice), once at home once on a neutral court, but neither after playing two games the previous two days.

Make no mistake -- the seeding the Vols got had nothing to do with what was deserved. It had everything to do with the Committee acting more like television program producers. They wanted a potential Cinderella upset. That's why they gave us a 6 when we should have had a 4 and that's why the SDSU game is scheduled at 10 p.m., to give SDSU an added time advantage. And, failing that plan, at least they get a Gtown/UT match-up, which will be good for the ratings as well. It's the same reason Duke gets treated like a favorite son in this tourney and why Wisconsin gets overseeded as a 4 so that either Wisconsin or Temple gets eliminated the first weekend; no one wants to see those teams play and no one wants to see Temple play Tennessee/Gtown or anyone else in the 2nd round that wastes television time.

The NCAA Selection Committee has been bought and paid for by adversiting and television dollars just like the SEC office and the referees. We should get used to it. The only time we'll get a seed we deserve or higher is when it plays into the script for good TV.

Yes and they lost there floor leader and second best scorer two weeks ago to an ACL Tear. They are clearly not the same team without him. That is the equivalent of losing Chism for the season a week before the SEC tourney.
The committee is supposed to seed teams that won't be at their best lower, not pretend their player will be back.

but that doesn't matter anymore. If Pearl and company want to be an elite program, this is the weekend to do it. Take care of SDSU (an good, solid team), and beat G'Town you will earn respect around the country. The players and coaches cannot let this affect them. Get over it, prepare like you have never prepared before, and tell your players to prove everyone wrong, and if you want to be respected, then go ahead and earn it.

Yes, we most definately got screwed. We are right up there with Virginia Tech( what a srewing they got). Kansas, the number one overall seed got screwed also with 7 top 25 rpi teams in their bracket and the two teams that beat them(Tn. and Oklahoma State). San Diego State got screwed being an 11 seed and playing a team that beat Kansas and Kentucky as a 6 seed. I think if you look at the brackets that we can easily beat Georgetown and Ohio state and make the elite 8 for the first time. These ball players are pumped up and ready to prove the committee wrong. Go Vols.

I'm rooting twice as hard for us now to make the Final Four so Bruce can ruin the plans of the antisemites who gave us this ridiculous seeding.

People need to understand that since they added Mike Slive to the selection committee 4 years ago all of our seedings have been on the negative side. Remember we were a 2 seed 5 years ago, but since then quite underrated in the tournament.

But I will say that Pearl has not exactly set the world on fire with his tournament teams either.

People need to understand that since they added Mike Slive to the selection committee 4 years ago all of our seedings have been on the negative side. Remember we were a 2 seed 5 years ago, but since then quite underrated in the tournament.

But I will say that Pearl has not exactly set the world on fire with his tournament teams either.

what does Slive have to do with this year's seed?

VN Store

Back