We have to Earn the Committee's respect

Lizzard28

As much as I think we got a raw deal this year with our seeding and matchups, I honestly don't think the committee will take us seriously until we make a legitimate run or pull an upset or two in the tourney. I know they aren't supposed to base it on previous years, but ever since they gave us that two seed and we blew it against Wichita St. they seem to have it out for us to prove ourselves. Just my opinion TIFWIW

I think you are right. That's what happens when you let a "committee" make the calls. Their pride and bias' get in the way.

I don't agree with the seeding, but I hope Pearl and the players learn a lesson from this in the future. You have to go hard every game, every minute. There were moments during the season where this 6 seed could have been considered a blessing. Yea we beat UK and KU, but blowout losses against USC, Vandy and UK are tough to over come. This team decided they wanted to quit a few times this season and they are now paying for it.

I would think beating the overall #1 seed with half your team in the stands would EARN you some respect.

As much as I think we got a raw deal this year with our seeding and matchups, I honestly don't think the committee will take us seriously until we make a legitimate run or pull an upset or two in the tourney. I know they aren't supposed to base it on previous years, but ever since they gave us that two seed and we blew it against Wichita St. they seem to have it out for us to prove ourselves. Just my opinion TIFWIW

I said this same thing to my buddy the other day. I don't think that we have earned the respect of the committee based on our past year's performances. Further, we absolutely gave up against Kentucky yesterday. I think the committee saw this, realized that we don't play nearly as well away from home and called it as they saw it.

On a historical note, we always play better coming off of a bad loss. I look for this team to do well on the first weekend and make it to the Sweet 16. My .02.

I think you nailed it lizzard... We've got to prove we can win convincingly in tourney settings
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I would think beating the overall #1 seed with half your team in the stands would EARN you some respect.

I feel like since we have kind of laid eggs the last 4 years, with the exception of the Ohio St heartbreaker, even then we went as far as we were supposed to, that the committee will not take us seriously until we prove we can win and make runs in the tournament itself. We need to knock some people off when it counts the most then the committee will give us the seed we deserve

yeah, but let's face it........what did we really do on the road?? we didn't beat any top teams on the road, and got crushed by some BAD teams on the road.......blowouts at GA, USC, KY, FL, and then KY at the SEC tournament.......

I personally still think we should have gotten a 5 seed, so they were "off" by 1....but I'm pretty sure our lousy road efforts didn't help us much.......:hi:

The Vols record away from home, bad losses, RPI, poll rankings, wins against top 100 teams and any objective criteria puts them higher than any other 5 or 6 team and better than some of 4's. We were shafted plain and simple; and have been now 3 years in a row. Hopefully our players will play w passion and up their capabilities and get us to elite 8 - huge challenge.

Duke hasn't beaten anyone higher then a #5 seed in 12 years, yet they got the easiest rode to the final four. Previous performance in the NCAA tournament made no difference.

The problem is no one on the selection committee was from the SEC or the Big 12. That's why teams like Kansas and UT got the shaft.

Last edited:
Until the NCAA tells exactly what criteria is used in selection, we don't know what to do. And, they're not telling. Part of the plan, I guess.

I don't think this is how it should work. But the real world isn't always fair...

How has Duke earned the committees respect by failing to beat a team higher than a 5 seed for over a decade now.

I'll hang up and listen.

I think the seeding in this tournament is the most perplexing ever. Giving us a 6 is questionable....Gonzaga a 8 seed? After they have been ranked all year? Seriously? Butler a 5? Wow...and New Mexico a #3. I just don't get it.

And "tabrams" i don't know who the girl is in your avatar but I am jealous and I need to go there....give it up

I can see why I would have to remind you, considering it was 10 years ago. Hell, it's been 6 since they made it out of the sweet sixteen. Now that is what I call recent tourney success, right there.

You are spot on my friend. We have shown no heart or consistency what so ever since Lofton and Juan Smith graduated. We don't go after loose balls like when they were here, we don't have even ONE consistent player that can knock down shots, and we are soft in every aspect of the word, except for Chism when he really wants to play.

I've said for two years now that Hopson is a bust, he proves me right every time the level of competition is raised. If this team had any character instead of moaning and b****ing about their seeding, they would keep their mouths shut and prove the analyst wrong on the court, the only place it matters.

As for pearl, he has elevated TN in basketball w/o question, but can he take us to the next level? Like some here I have my doubts. Sure he can beat the teams we should beat and on a consistent basis, which is something that couldn't be said prior to his arrival. But in college basketball in order to reach elite status you must be able to win at crunch time. This means against the top teams in your conference and the nation come tourney time. In that respect he has failed miserably. His teams are soft in big games, lose focus, lack intensity and heart. All the qualities championship teams possess. I honestly think the fact that Pearl yells constantly is part of the problem. The players are so used to hearing it 24/7 they just let it go in one ear and out the other. Thus when they screw up and he chews their ass, it's just common place. I think he needs to force himself to be more reserved like Coach K on the bench, so when the team does screw up or needs a good butt chewing, he gets their attention. TIFWIW

Last edited:
Sure he can beat the teams we should beat and on a consistent basis

Losing TWICE to Vandy, on the road to a bad UGA team, on the road to a bad Florida team, and getting smoked by UCSw does NOT back up this statement.

How has Duke earned the committees respect by failing to beat a team higher than a 5 seed for over a decade now.

I'll hang up and listen.

I think it has something to do with all of Coach K's National Titles and Final Four appearances, just a hunch...The Duke program has the respect of just about any unbiased College basketball fan

Losing TWICE to Vandy, on the road to a bad UGA team, on the road to a bad Florida team, and getting smoked by UCSw does NOT back up this statement.
I was referring to mid-majors like ETSU, Middle Tennessee State etc., teams we did not beat consistently prior to Pearl. If you think we should beat Vandy, SC, etc. twice every year you are delusional. SC beat UK this year for God's sake, and Vandy can and has beaten the best of the best in Nashville.

I can see why I would have to remind you, considering it was 10 years ago. Hell, it's been 6 since they made it out of the sweet sixteen. Now that is what I call recent tourney success, right there.

At least they have actually been past the Sweet Sixteen in their history. You can't really blame these guys for seeding us a 6 if they see it that way. I think it is ridiculous. Duke should be a 2 or at least not have the easiest path and we should be a 4 or at worst a 5, but we have no track record that says we can get it done no matter what seed we get. Teams with more history of tournament success include Western Kentucky, Dayton, Tulsa, Davidson and Vanderbilt.

Our greatest season in my memory ended with a blowout loss to Louisville. The year before that, we were about to pull a huge upset and blew an equally huge lead to Ohio State. That was our best tournament showing in my opinion. The year before that Wichita State took out a very questionable 2 seed. And then there's last year... I think our level of respect, and our seeding, might be as much about our coach as our team. Throw wild inconsistency and an absolutely terrible SEC West that provided no competition until the SEC Tournament into that mix and you could get a 6 seed. This is the hand we were dealt. If the team whines as much as the rest of our fans then I also predict an upset.

That doesn't mesh with your comment.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I partly agree with this. Let's face it, other than Pearl's second season, UT has not shown up for the NCAAT. The first year we were an overseeded 2, and we needed a Lofton save to even escape the first game; then of course lost the second. The second year we actually started playing well come NCAAT time yet we let a 19 point lead get away to OSU. Our best year in forever happened the 3rd year, and both our NCAAT wins that year were very unimpressive and we got taken to the shed by Louisville. And of course last year was awesome.

I'd like to see us go on a nice run but with this team I just can't see it happening.

VN Store

Back