Selection committee is a farce.

JohnWardForever

1.----Vols ranked #14 & get a 6 seed?
2.----MSU Beats UF in the tourney--UF gets in--MSU doesn't?
3.--- MSU gets robbed in the finals & doesn't get in?
4.--- V-Tech has a better record than Wake, beats WF head to head and they put Wake in--VTEC out?
5.---Kansas draws the toughest region
6.---Duke draws the easiest region
7.---Vols draw the toughest opening opponent
8.---Bobby Knight stated that members on the committee know nothing about basketball. I agree.

Last edited:
4.--- V-Tech has a better record than NCST, beats ST. head to head and they put NCST in--VTEC out?
8.---Bobby Knight stated that members on the committee know nothing about basketball. I agree.

Wake got in over VT. But no doubt you are correct about the committee issuing several screw jobs.

All this energy in hating this and that...etc.
Some years it appears that certain teams get the shaft so to speak, but life isn't fair.
It's what you do with the opportunity provided you that defines you.

Wake Forrest has twice as many wins vrs RPI top 50 then VT does. With that said I think VT deserved to get in but...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Tennessee has a higher RPI than any of the other 4 seeds, not to mention they beat 2 1 seeds in he regular season.

All this energy in hating this and that...etc.
Some years it appears that certain teams get the shaft so to speak, but life isn't fair.
It's what you do with the opportunity provided you that defines you.

Don't worry about my energy usage. I ran a mile this am, will run another this pm, got plenty, thank you vm. :)

I said before the selections were made yesterday that if there was a way for them to screw us they would....and they did.

I agree. This committee is a total farce. Is there a list somewhere of who these clowns are?

My biggest problem is there is no continuity to their explanations. No real rhyme or reason. For some teams they explain their recent success is why they were rewarded, but then turn around and award teams who have been terrible lately. Some teams they throw out their conference tournament performance, and some they weigh heavily. The real truth is that they do whatever the hell they want. And considering most of these guys aren't basketball guys, it's troubling. Forget expanding the tournament, start with fixing the selection committee!

I said before the selections were made yesterday that if there was a way for them to screw us they would....and they did.

Agreed. The chairman of the committee contradicted himself numerous times yesterday regarding how they made decisions. First he would say its about the "whole body of work", and next sentence he would say, "well this team won conference tournament." Its a crock

Tennessee has a higher RPI than any of the other 4 seeds, not to mention they beat 2 1 seeds in he regular season.

Why do we even talk about the RPI anymore? Several years ago that was all the committee preached. That is until Tennessee was #1 in the RPI. They need continuity. They need have prescribed methods for seeding. Not what Pearl calls "moving targets"

I think they way we lost our games is the reason we're a six seed... Each loss was a blowout, whether it be Vandy, USC, Florida... You look at San Diego St even, their losses were close, competitive games to the end (2-5 pt losses)... I have a feelng the blowout vs Kentucky solidified our seed

When you look at point spreads on 10/7, 11/6, and 12/5 games... the spreads indicate a remarkably evenly matched tournament.

Last edited:
4.--- V-Tech has a better record than NCST, beats ST. head to head and they put NCST in--VTEC out?

What tournament are you talking about??? NCST did NOT make the tourny.

I think they way we lost our games is the reason we're a six seed... Each loss was a blowout, whether it be Vandy, USC, Florida... You look at San Diego St even, their losses were close, competitive games to the end (2-5 pt losses)... I have a feelng the blowout vs Kentucky solidified our seed

I don't doubt this, but if that is true, how about the way we won games? If they are punishing us for the KY blowout in the SEC, shouldn't they award State? State had one heckuva a tournament and anyone watching that should have formed the impression that on any given day, they could beat any team in the country.

The process of choosing the at larges is inherently subjective. The process of selecting the seeds is inherently subjective. Even the things you think are objective, like RPI, are not completely pure.

They take into account a number of variables, such as bad losses, good wins, conference finish, head -to-head, non-conference schedule and results, last 5, last 10, and on and on.

You can say that MSU beat Florida by 6 in mid-March. But I can point out to you that Florida beat MSU by 8 just a month earlier. You can say you beat Kentucky in the regular season, but they trounced you in the tournament.

All of these things matter, but you'll drive yourself crazy if you start trying to explain or reason out why the brackets are the way they are based on a perspective of one, two, or three of these criteria.

I was thinkin the same thing. Plus Purdue and Temple have harder first round opponets than we do imo.

I agree. I don't mind playing a conference tourney winner. Often they aren't good enough to get in otherwise. This is a hot team with a lot of size, but it's not a terrible matchup.

BTW, besides having the toughest bracket, if KU is the #1 overall seed, why aren't they playing the winner of the play-in game?

VN Store

Back