The Park Central Hotel Postgame Report.

hatvol96

1. That was a complete asskicking. UK was just too good today.
2. I said it earlier this year and I'll repeat it now. Losing is one thing, flat out quitting is another.
3. Brian Williams was the only player in orange who could be considered impressive. He physically and mentally held his own against the most talented frontline in college basketball.
4. Wayne Chism has to be better than allowing himself to be baited and frustrated by a guy with the maturity of a five year old. Daniel Orton shouldn't be important enough to make a player of Chism's caliber lose his focus.
5. Tennessee's point guards were horrible. The competition had something to do with that, but there were numerous unforced mental errors.
6. Directors of Officials across the countries should splice and watch every block/charge call made this year over the summer. Guys who can't identify a flop, I'm talking to you Doug Sirmons, should be terminated immediately.
7. If Kentucky defends and hits perimeter shots the rest of the way as they did today, it'll be another John Calipari-Bill Self title game. Kansas is the only team in America that can play with UK when they guard and hit threes.
8. The UT-Uk rivalry is taking on an old school Syracuse-Georgetown nastiness. I like that.
9. Congratulations, Tom Penders. That's a nice accomplishment in the twilight of a career.
10. I am at a loss to figure out why West Virginia is a 3' point favorite tonight. I fully expect to see a Georgetown rout tonight.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I agree on #8 this rivalry is only going to get better and better. Hopefully Pearl can reel in some talent to at least hang with Calipari in the years to come.

I just saw number 9. Great for him to get 4 different teams to the tourney

Did he leave coaching Texas or did they make him leave?

Every time I see Brian on the court, I think about him suiting up next to Montori Hughes on the DL....

Depth and fatigue was definitely an issue today. As soon as the double technical was called I knew that was all she wrote.

I too enjoyed the nasty tone of the game.

If Kentucky defends and hits perimeter shots the rest of the way as they did today, it'll be another John Calipari-Bill Self title game. Kansas is the only team in America that can play with UK when they guard and hit threes.

I was gonna ask if anybody from the Big East could play with Kentucky?

I just saw number 9. Great for him to get 4 different teams to the tourney

Did he leave coaching Texas or did they make him leave?
There were a bunch of off court problems that led to his departure from Texas. He didn't leave willingly.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

1-5: Agreed. I just witnessed a failure to execute at ANYTHING today. No effort, no focus, the team was simply not ready in any way to play a basketball game today. The inability to play away from TBA has me worried about this teams success in the tourney.
6: The guys on the court lost this one, and even if the Vols got help from the zebras (or even a fair game), still would have lost by double digits.
7. I just said the same thing in another thread. Even then, I give Kentucky the edge in that contest.
10. Just because people still aren't sure what to make of Georgetown. If I were a gambler, I'd run out and put money on Georgetown right now.

Pretty much spot-on, as usual, Hat. I do like #8 and I was glad to see Melvin do what needed to be done. Physical play is one thing but the team in white was way over the top and the officials just let it go. In my day, there would have been a lot more guys who were wearing white on the floor late in that game.

If Cousins hits his free throws this game is even worse. Did he get hit square in the balls or did he flop? Tennessee guards were not very good today. I think the Wildcats hit at least 10 triples. Good luck to the Vols in the NCAA tourney.

We have to learn to play smart ball. They hit a contested 3 or Wall hits a jumper in transition, and we feel like we need to. It's not our game. It's frustrating to watch us play with little-to-no plan on offense. The more I watch, the more I think it's not necessarily that Pearl can't coach half-court offense, it's that our guys refuse to play it.

Every once in a while we run some great set plays. Far too often we stand around expecting something good to happen.

Of course, given today's outcome what is more motivation for our squad? A close loss with the refs as the scapegoat, or a terrible asskicking? We won't see a squad like that for 4 or 5 games. There's no reason we can't rattle off a few. On the other hand, it's possible we give up the ghost completely. Hard to tell with this bi-polar squad.

The officiating was pretty deplorable, but when Kentucky went on that run to make it 58-41, it looked like we threw in the towel.

Sometimes basketball is like this, one team can't hit a shot and the other can't miss. That is why I enjoy football much more. I do think that this loss will help us, you could tell our guys were disappointed. Hopefully it works out for the best.

Chism's missed layup that would have cut it to 7 with about 8 mins to go was a back breaker. We got our rears handed to us though in the last 7-8 mins. This game was in reach if Chism had made that easy layup.

Sometimes basketball is like this, one team can't hit a shot and the other can't miss. That is why I enjoy football much more. I do think that this loss will help us, you could tell our guys were disappointed. Hopefully it works out for the best.

They did look tired and it might smack them in the face enough to get them ready for the NCAAs.

UK, as I see it, has the highest ceiling and lowest floor amongst the national title contenders. If they play like they did today, they'll win it all. I could also see them coming out cocky and flat in the Sweet 16 round against a motivated team and lose, as they did vs. UT in Knoxville. But they are the most talented team in the country, no question.

VN Store

Back