Player Development

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
I often hear (and feel) that one measure of coaching ability is the development of players' talent. That being said, Tyler Smith stuck out like a sore thumb on Pearl's resume. However, retrospectively, there may have been more to that story than initially met the eye.

After Smith's dismissal and the performance of the Vols through the second half of the season, it appears to me that we have really had some guys come along: Hopson, Maze, Goins, JP, Cam Tatum, (and even Steven and Williams, to some extent). What does everyone else think about the progress we have seen with this squad?

I often hear (and feel) that one measure of coaching ability is the development of players' talent. That being said, Tyler Smith stuck out like a sore thumb on Pearl's resume. However, retrospectively, there may have been more to that story than initially met the eye.

After Smith's dismissal and the performance of the Vols through the second half of the season, it appears to me that we have really had some guys come along: Hopson, Maze, Goins, JP, Cam Tatum, (and even Steven and Williams, to some extent). What does everyone else think about the progress we have seen with this squad?

I think Pearl does a great job of developing players in his system. He really knows how to get them to work as a team. I think Maze and Williams have improved significantly since the first stepped on campus. At this level of basketball, though, what is important (especially for recruiting) is being able to develop players for the NBA. He hasn't had much NBA potential to work with, so we'll see what he can do going forward. It would nice to have been able to see what Tyler would have done. Wayne Chism won't get drafted, but I'm not sure any other coach could have developed his game as much as Pearl has in order to get him there. I'm waiting to see what happens with Hopson. Maybe he was a little overrated coming out of high school, but he's still the only player Pearl has recruited so far that had legitimate first-round potential. So far he hasn't done a whole lot to improve his stock. Some fundamentals of his have improved, in defense and ball-handling, but his jump shot is still spotty. Pearl inherited some great shooters in Lofton and Smith, but I'm still waiting for him to develop one. We'll see what he can do. BTW, I'm not one of those Pearl bashers. I think he's done a great job, but this is one area where the verdict is still out.

They're doing the best they can right now with what they have. The guys are playing pretty well, shot selection has looked a ton better and there is actually some continuity to the offense. I don't feel good about their chances of running off 4 straight in the SEC tourney, but they might make a little noise hopefully in the NCAA tourney.

You don't think Wayne will get drafted golf? I think he could get picked up in the 2nd round easy. It will be tough for him to make a roster, but he has a shot.

You don't think Wayne will get drafted golf? I think he could get picked up in the 2nd round easy. It will be tough for him to make a roster, but he has a shot.

He's got a shot. If he impresses during the tournament and at pro workouts then he might go later in the 2nd round. But right now I don't see it. He plays well in Pearl's offense, but his game isn't NBA-ready. He needs to improve his ball handling and mid-range game, because he sometimes struggles against big, athletic post players.

Like golf said, he hasn't had any NBA players save Tsmith. That's like me saying we've never beat UNC under pearl, duh we haven't played them! BTW if Bobby Maze and the rest of that class had stayed at OU- they would be REALLY REALLY GOOD.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:

i think he could make a roster down the road, but it might be similar to the CJ Watson route.

Like golf said, you he hasn't had any NBA players save Tsmith. That's like me saying we've never beat UNC under pearl, duh we haven't played them! BTW if Bobby Maze and the rest of that class had stayed at OU- they would be REALLY REALLY GOOD.

Maze would have been a backup to Willie Warren

I echo what everyone said about the mental aspects of the game. There really seems to be a large improvement in the thinking side of the game.

Physically I still have some questions about Pearl's coaching abilities. It just seems to me like for the time he was here, T. Smith either didn't improve or even regressed somewhat. I can't say for sure if that was due to Pearl, or Smith being unwilling to put in the work. I don't have the knowledge to say either way. Steven Pearl has definitely improved throughout the year, as have Maze and Goins. Similarly, Hopson and Tatum seem to be stepping up their game and confidence. I've also noticed an improvement in B. Williams' physical presence; still got to work on the layup though.

All in all I'd say he does a great job when he draws a tough hand like this season. When he has a team full of talent and athleticism, character issues always seem to be the downfall and not his coaching abilities.

Like golf said, he hasn't had any NBA players save Tsmith. That's like me saying we've never beat UNC under pearl, duh we haven't played them! BTW if Bobby Maze and the rest of that class had stayed at OU- they would be REALLY REALLY GOOD.

We played UNC in the 06-07 year in the NIT season tip-off.

VN Store

Back