Way too early look at 2011 SEC basketball

cmelton7

This is my way too early prediction for the SEC next season. There are some predispositions here.
1. John Wall, Cousins, and Patterson will all leave this year.
2. Jaymichal Green, and Trey Thompkins will be back.
3. Whatever Brandon Knight does could have a huge impact on this list. So without further ado

SEC East
1. Tennessee- Losing Chism hurts, but expect big contributions from freshmen and a big year from Scotty Hopson.
2. Florida- The Gators have everyone coming back from a pretty good team.
3. Kentucky- They may get Knight or Selby, but replacing Wall, Cousins, Patterson, Perry Stevenson won't be easy. Still a top 20 team.
4. Vandy- The only loss is Beal, but that is huge for Vandy. Watch for Jeffrey Taylor and John Jenkins to both avg. 15 pts. next year. The softy Aussie (Ogilvy) is back too.
5. Georgia- Thompkins and Travis Leslie are great. They don't have much help though.
6. South Carolina- they lose everyone from a team that didn't have much outside of Downey.

SEC West
1. Mississippi State- Sidney provides more offense than Varnado. Defense will not be as good, but State returns 4 that played alot last year. Dee Bost is an above avg. point guard.
2. Ole Miss- Best trio of guards in league if Terrico White is back. Should take advantage of the west being down again. Chris Warren is the most underappreciated player in the conference.
3. Arkansas- This is where the drop-off happens. Fortson and Marshawn Powell will have to carry this team to the NIT.
4. Alabama- Should be better, but not much. Lucky to get an NIT bid.
5. LSU- They were terrible this year with Tasmin Mitchell. They will be worse this year.
6. Auburn- Returns one player (Frankie Sullivan) that could play on any decent team. They will be worse than LSU, and that says something. Charles Barkely may be the coach (kidding) by 2012.

Ranking 1-12
1. Tennessee 2. Mississippi State 3. Florida 4. Kentucky 5. Ole Miss 6. Vandy 7. Arkansas 8. Georgia 9. Alabama 10. South Carolina 11. LSU 12. Auburn

All-SEC
G- Courtney Fortson - Arkansas
G- Chris Warren - Ole Miss
G- Scotty Hopson - Tennessee
F- Trey Thomkins - Georgia
F- Chandler Parsons - Florida

2nd Team
G- Erving Walker - Florida
G- Eric Bledsoe - Kentucky
F- Jeffrey Taylor - Vandy
F- Terrico White - Ole Miss
F- Marshawn Powell - Arkansas

Just Missed- AJ Ogilvy, JaMychal Green, Darius Miller-KY, Travis Leslie-GA, Alex Tyus-Fla

This is way early and I did not consider freshmen in the all conference teams. I did take into account those players that have signed already though when ranking the teams. Brandon Knight's school choice could have an affect, but both Florida and Kentucky have point guards that will not just sit quietly on the bench. Thanks for any feedback!

Vanderbilt is going to be very good next year. Probably top 3 in the SEC. I don't believe we will be the #1 team in the SEC either. We are losing too much leadership.

I agree that Vandy will be really good, but the East is going to be so hard to pick. Admit that I am a TN homer, but really expect us to have a great shooting team next year. I really put a lot of stock in Tobias being good (10 pts 6-7 rbds. per) off the bat. I just think that Beal really makes Vandy go.

Losing Chism will be big, but people are really undervaluing the loss of Prince. That is going to hurt seriously. I think Goins can step in for Maze (hopefully a recruit can provide depth), but Prince and Chism are big shoes to fill. Harris is highly recruited enough that he may be able to do the latter, but Cam Tatum is going to have to be the 3, and he brings quite a different skill set. It'll be interesting to see how all that works out.

KY will be good. Liggins and Miller are going to break out. Bledsoe will be the best guard in the East.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

KY will be good. Liggins and Miller are going to break out. Bledsoe will be the best guard in the East.
But there is still a chance Bledsoe goes pro. There is also a chance Cousins returns. We can't know much about them right now.

Brandon Knight's decision will have impact things quite a bit. I think he ends up at Kentucky or Florida.

And it will help to soften the blow somewhat of losing Wayne. J.P. is going to be the hardest player to replace next year. Just nobody on the horizon that I see who can do some of the things he does. That said, I'm hoping that our perimeter shooting goes up significantly, which will help counter his loss offensively as a penetrator. Not sure who can provide what he does defensively.

We will really need Williams to step up bigtime in his senior year. I like what I have seen lately.

People seem to forget that there was more to that last class than Cousins and Wall. Hell, I think Orton is going to thrive in a much bigger role.

LSU will be worse next year? Thats BS LSU has 4 ESPNU top 100 recruits coming in. You fail, try again.

LSU will be worse next year? Thats BS LSU has 4 ESPNU top 100 recruits coming in. You fail, try again.

The Tigers do have 3 top 100 recruits on ESPN coming in for next year. However, you lose your best player in Mitchell. Bo Spencer is the only other player that LSU had last year that could even see the court for most SEC teams. None of the recruits you have coming in are in the top 40. No knock on LSU, but this year's team was one of the worst I've seen. Keep in mind I was a UT fan during the Wade Houston years. I did say you guys were better than Auburn next year, hey maybe even Alabama.

VN Store

Back