Tennessee Solid 4 Seed in NCAA's/ Breakdown

Big Orange Bo

Family of Vol Grads
Overall.. 23-7........In Conference..11-5

RPI....13

SOS....20

Quality Wins../RPI In ()

Kansas(1),Kentucky(4),Memphis(49),Mississippi(56),
Charleston(88),Charlotte(66),Florida(53)

Quality Losses

Purdue(11)

Bad Losses

Southern California, Georgia

Competition for 4 Seed..

Michigan State..24-7(26)--Georgetown..19-9(14)--Vanderbilt..22-7(15)--BYU..26-4(21)--Wisconsin..22-7(18)--Xavier..22-7(19)--Baylor..22-6(10)

I think Temple gets the Vanderbilt 3 seed after yesterdays loss to South Carolina(96) at home by Vandy...

I think Tennessee would have to beat Vandy or Kentucky in the SEC tourney to get a 3 seed and a 2 seed is not possible in my opinion even with a SEC tourney win. Tell me what u guys think... GBO

Rpi Updated Sunday @ Noon

Last edited:
I think we are a solid 4 seed also but I think if we play for a championship we are a good 3 but with a win we are a maybe 2...But whatever happens I want the Vols to play like champions........:rock::rock:

I think we are a solid 4 seed also but I think if we play for a championship we are a good 3 but with a win we are a maybe 2...But whatever happens I want the Vols to play like champions........:rock::rock:

Not sure with the Big East being as strong as they are and Ohio State and Purdue there that a 2 seed would be available for us even with a SEC tourney win..

Kansas State,West VA, Pitt, Villanova, Purdue, OSU,Temple, New Mexico, Vanderbilt, Butler...Those are alot of teams to jump IMO...

All but one have higher RPI's than us today. That would change though if we can win the SEC tourney.

Last edited:
We're a solid 4 right now unless we lose to LSU. Then it's questionable.

IMO, we have to make it to the championship game to have a 3 seed or have any shot at one.

IMO,I think we are a 4 seed right now depending on what we are going to be rank because a couple of teams ahead of us lost so we might get a 3 seed.I say we get a 2 seed if we beat UK in the SEC tourney because it really dosent matter in the championship game because we can say we beat a No.1 seed for the third time and the committee looks at that alot.

IMO,I think we are a 4 seed right now depending on what we are going to be rank because a couple of teams ahead of us lost so we might get a 3 seed.I say we get a 2 seed if we beat UK in the SEC tourney because it really dosent matter in the championship game because we can say we beat a No.1 seed for the third time and the committee looks at that alot.

Seeding aside, another win over KY would be special....

We will not be a 2 seed no matter what. Too many other teams with better resumes than us. If we make it to the tourney championship, I think we can get a 3 seed. Just being there means that we beat a quality opponent or 2 along the way. That will push us up to a 3 seed. If we lose against LSU thursday, we could fall back to a 5 seed though.

I respectfully disagree. IF we can beat UK again...it would give us 3 wins over #1 seeds. I think it is POSSIBLE to get a #2 seed with that on our resume'. At worst we would be the highest #3.

Right now I think there are 6-9 teams that are probably grouped together as 4/5 seed material and we are one of them. As long as we are a 4/5 (or higher) I don't care.

Truthfully, I'd rather be the 5 in with whoever that 4th #1 will be as opposed to a 4 in with Syracuse or Kansas, but that is just me.

I really don't see us getting to a 3 unless we win the SECT.

I know Vanderbilt beat us twice, but we have the same overall record, better RPI, played a tougher schedule, and beat two #1 seeds. Our seeding should be at least the same as Vandy's.

I know it's a different year, but getting a 2 seed is very possible considering that we got a 2 seed one year when we had a 22-8 record

I hate the RPI.

I don't hate it, but people need to realize it's just one of the tools the committee uses. It's not like they just line up the RPI rankings and then place teams according to the order. Last 10 games, road/neutral record, qualit wins, bad losses, etc. are tools as well.

I just hope we get to Kentucky and give them another run for their money. If we can do that our seed will be very good. I want to be watching the Vols play on Saturday and hopefully even Sunday!!

I am not an expert and NCAA seeding, but I think some people are too narrow in their range. What you do in the last week is important.

Losing ugly to LSU could knock us down to a 6, IMO. Winning over KY and Vandy would be a top #3 or very possibly a #2, IMO.

There's a big difference in being a 4 & a 5. With a 4 seed, you're the highest seed in your bracket until the Sweet 16. But there may be an even bigger difference in being a high 4 versus being a low 4. With a lack of quality teams on the west coast this year, some higher seeded teams east of the Mississippi will be shipped out to Spokane or San Jose. With several East coast teams fighting for higher seeding and to play closer to home, being the top 4 may be the difference in playing in New Orleans and playing in Spokane.

Michigan State..24-7(26)--Georgetown..19-9(14)--Vanderbilt..22-7(15)--BYU..26-4(21)--Wisconsin..22-7(18)--Xavier..22-7(19)--Baylor..22-6(10)

I think Temple gets the Vanderbilt 3 seed after yesterdays loss to South Carolina(96) at home by Vandy...

I think Tennessee would have to beat Vandy or Kentucky in the SEC tourney to get a 3 seed and a 2 seed is not possible in my opinion even with a SEC tourney win. Tell me what u guys think... GBO

Rpi Updated Sunday @ Noon

They usually dont give two teams from the same conference the same seed number. If Vandy slides to#4, UT would slide to 5 etc.

I think Vandy will keep the #3 seed and UT will get the #4, barring some major upsets in the SEC tournament.

Last edited:
Right now I think there are 6-9 teams that are probably grouped together as 4/5 seed material and we are one of them. As long as we are a 4/5 (or higher) I don't care.

Truthfully, I'd rather be the 5 in with whoever that 4th #1 will be as opposed to a 4 in with Syracuse or Kansas, but that is just me.

I really don't see us getting to a 3 unless we win the SECT.

True, but 5 seeds have a long history of being upset by 12 seeds. Seems to happen every year.

They usually dont give two teams from the same conference the same seed number. If Vandy slides to#4, UT would slide to 5 etc.

I think Vandy will keep the #3 seed and UT will get the #4, barring some major upsets in the SEC tournament.

Just can't see Vandy getting a 3 seed with the loss to South Carolina. RPI has dipped to 22 and SOS is 25. The loss was at home and I think thats a killer for them at 22-7.

Baylor, Villanova, Pitt,New Mexico, Mich. State,BYU,Wisconsin,Temple,Butler,Ohio State, Kansas State,West Virginia,Purdue. Thats 13 teams looking for a
2 or 3 seed.

IMO Vandy is outside the top three Seeds...

Only BYU,Mich State and Ohio State have lower RPI's than Vandy and we know OSU and MSU will be 3 seeds or higher...

Just can't see Vandy getting a 3 seed with the loss to South Carolina. RPI has dipped to 22 and SOS is 25. The loss was at home and I think thats a killer for them at 22-7.

Baylor, Villanova, Pitt,New Mexico, Mich. State,BYU,Wisconsin,Temple,Butler,Ohio State, Kansas State,West Virginia,Purdue. Thats 13 teams looking for a
2 or 3 seed.

IMO Vandy is outside the top three Seeds...

Only BYU,Mich State and Ohio State have lower RPI's than Vandy and we know OSU and MSU will be 3 seeds or higher...

Barring an epic Big Ten Tourney collapse, OSU should take the last #1 seed. IMO, it is going to be a nightmare for the selection committee to sort the seeding for all of those other teams that you mentioned. Just my two cents.

i want to know why if tennessee lossess they drop 5 to 9 spots in polls and villanova lost last 2 games of the season and dont drop but maby 1 spot.and duke lost didnt drop kansas state lost dropped 4tennessee should be ranked atleast in the top 8 in final polls ,there are no teams ranked in top 15 besides ut too have beaten a number 1,2 and if they had hit free throws then number 7 now 6 purdue.there is no way any 3 or 4 big east,and 3 big ten teams finish above ut nor get higher seeds ,ut should be a lock for a2 not just a 4 did villinova,or west virgina either one play saryacuse 2 times like ut played ky.so actually ut played 3 top 2 teams ky 2 times ,and kansas,1 and number 6 purdue,and if we beat lsu and mississippi then we play the number 2 team again,and if we are a 4 right now and win 2 games and play good but loose a close game to ky we shoud get a 3 by merit for winning 25 games and playing ky a good game,we no that villanova and west virginia wont both loose to saryacuse in big east tourny tennessee at the least should be a 3 and if they win a few a 2 .im sick and tired of the big east and big ten and acc getting useually 2 number 1 seeds 2 number 2 seed and 3 number 3 seeds,kentucky is young and a 1 seed and ut is as good as any conferences 2 or 3 place teams

VN Store

Back