What is wrong with SEC refs?

cibai

Coogarvol
I don't want to gripe about wins and loses caused by refs. However, they are really making the games frustrating to watch. There have been so many idiotic calls this season. It feels just like last years football season.

The problem with his logic here is that these stats don't take no-calls into account. Really, the only way to determine who is getting the bad calls is to watch the game. If it isn't obvious, then I'd say the game is fair and the refs are trying to be just. That said, when watching a UT game it is obvious that at least one ref at every game seems to be employed by the other team, regardless of venue.

This year, whenever I've watched SEC games in which UT is not playing, I've watched mainly to gauge the officiating.

It is awful. Inconsistent. Blown calls. Showboating referees. And, if you can believe such a thing, Kentucky gets most all the calls at home and away. Shocking. It is like watching a Duke game in Cameron.

is not the number of fouls called in a game. And, that's what the stats show you. It's not the number of fouls called, it's when they're called that can hurt a team and control parts of the game. Chism and Prince got several early (and some bad) calls. Did that affect our game at the time? Yes. They both finished with the 2 fouls each. So, in the end, it doesn't look bad. But, at the time, it was large.

The other is not the number of calls, but the number of attempts. There were a number of bad calls that went against us today. At crucial times. In the end, SC had 18 fouls and we had 13 fouls. We went to the line 32 times to their 15 times. So, all I can do is judge the officiating at the time during the game and not the stats after the game.

Officiating will continue in it's present trend until there are official complaints from coaches. And, they are taking anything to the SEC.

That's just my take on it. Probably got flaws but so do I.

TENNESSEE never gets home cooking i think the officals just hate the big orange ,cause ut hardly ever if at all gets home cooking like other sec schools and teams like kansas ,duke,and north carolina and big east schools in basketball and everyone knowes who gets all the breaks at home and on the road in collage football,

I have to agree that it is more about "no-calls" and the timing/situation of the calls.The game of basketball is relying more on the refs "making an appearance" when there should not be one.My take on it is either call them all no matter where or when or call nothing simple as that...:dunno:

First, basketball officials are NCAA officials, not conference officials if I am not mistaken(something football needs to consider as well). As a fan and former coach at the intramural level, the one thing I always asked of those officiating the game was consistency. Call the same game for both teams and both halves. It is maddeningly impossible to gain any kind of flow as a player and team if the game is being called inconsistently. I see a good deal of inconsistency in the officiating at the NCAA level and that is honestly hard to watch. As a fan, it's always easy to say when the calls go against the Orange it is easy to claim bias, I do it too. But, the more aggressive teams tend to get the more questionable calls. I don't like the officiating, and anyone who says that certain teams don't get calls(watch the replay of the Miss. St. and Kentucky game, Varnado got jobbed on several calls) hasn't been watching sports, Jordan got calls because he was Michael Jordan and teams get calls because of their reputation good and bad.

My biggest complaint is this: The refs are often out of position and that always leads to bad officiating. Many of the refs simply can't keep up with the stronger, faster athletes of today and are out of position to make calls because of it. You can't expect every call to be correct, but if you are 30 feet behind the play and call a foul when the player's back is to you, you are out of position. This isn't a new trend, and until money is lost by someone that matters it won't change. I always think of TV(Ted Valentine) who often gave me the impression that he truly believed the fans came to watch him and not the game, or baseball umps who do their silly little punch outs and act like they are the stars. This problem isn't isolated to college sports, it is in the pros too.

I believe the 2nd foul on Prince today was a clear block and not a charge. It was awful. The replay clearly showed the defender's feet moving as they collided.

There were two calls today that were blatantly horrible:

1. The goaltending on Prince - he didn't even touch the ball. Refs need to call what they actually see, not what they think probably happened.

2. The non-call when Downey had the ball on the sideline, trying not to fall out of bounds, and hopped on one foot twice. No travel?

Another I'm not sure what the rule is: Chism tipped a rebound out of bounds, where it hit an SC player who had fallen down. Wouldn't that make it out on the guy on the floor, since it hit him last? Or is he considered part of 'out of bounds' at that point.

After getting back from a MAC vs. Horizon game today, I will no longer complain about SEC refs.

MAC refs are 10000000 times worse.

My understanding of the rule was that if a player has fallen out of bounds and the ball makes contact with him before contacting the floor or another item out of bounds, it is out on the player who is on the floor. But we are expecting the refs to actually know the rules, something I'm not too sure they do anymore.

NCAA Rulebook Section 7.1, Article 2
The ball shall be out of bounds when it touches a player who is out of
bounds; any other person, the floor or any object on or outside a boundary;
the supports or back of the backboard; or the ceiling, overhead equipment
or supports.

Section 7.2 Article 2
When the ball is out of bounds because of touching or being touched
by a player who is on or outside a boundary, such player shall have caused
the ball to go out of bounds.

Last edited:
SEC refs remind me of Northeast TN high school refs (Big 9 refs or whatever it's called now).

I was at the game and had a pretty close seat, about 15 rows from the floor. A bunch of the stuff that got called on us today was crap. Refs were calling fouls down low when they were standing at half court. There is no way they could have seen it, foul or not.

There was one specific ref, the bald white guy, he got rocked early n the game by Halll I think, and after that, he was calling all kinds of bad calls. Maybe he got a concussion.

I guess the stripes thought Vandy could shoot at least 30% from the field during this game. It's gonna be hard to call enough fouls on KY to give the Commode Doors the win.

Can't both lose? Oh, I wish. :p

I guess the stripes thought Vandy could shoot at least 30% from the field during this game. It's gonna be hard to call enough fouls on KY to give the Commode Doors the win.

Can't both lose? Oh, I wish. :p

UK won't make it past the Sweet 16. The have struggled against almost every SEC team. I can see a lot of the Big East teams blowing them out.

VN Store

Back