the irony with this season

RkyTopRenaissance

I find it ironic that what was Tennessee's strength was at the beginning of the season, depth, is what's killing us now. Unfortunately players who were playing well off the bench (JP, Woolridge[sometimes], etc.) can't handle the starting roles.

Who is going to be the player that steps up late this season? If we are going to make a run down the stretch like everyone hopes for, someone has to do something besides Chism on a bunk leg.

GBO

In The Kentucky game,the player that seem to step forward was Melvin Goins. Tennessee has to have someone that can shoot the three with accuracy. If this doesn't happen no respect is given to the outside. Thus it makes it harder for scoring to take place from the inside.

I find it ironic that what was Tennessee's strength was at the beginning of the season, depth, is what's killing us now. Unfortunately players who were playing well off the bench (JP, Woolridge[sometimes], etc.) can't handle the starting roles.

Who is going to be the player that steps up late this season? If we are going to make a run down the stretch like everyone hopes for, someone has to do something besides Chism on a bunk leg.

GBO

I think getting Tatum back will help tremendously. He simply allows JP to run back-up point if need be if they do allow Goins and Maze to play side by side and he can take some of the perimeter scoring pressure off Scottie. If BW could somehow get into game shape and allow for Hall and Chism to play side by side that would be clutch. I hope CBP is working those guys in practice and really shaping the squad for the post-season

Who would be better at the 2 position if maze and Goins play at the same time? I think maze has the better shot, but Goins was knocking them down against KY.

We've lost one player and now depth is a concern? No. It's roster construction and player development that is an issue. They are glaring concerns and never seem to get rectified. These are the issues fans have with the current staff and they've reared their heads for the last 3 years.

and how we try to play 10 guys 15+ minutes while UK, Duke, KU and most other teams with a halfway decent coach play 7 or 8 guys 20+ minutes.

Last edited:
We've lost one player and now depth is a concern? No. It's roster construction and player development that is an issue. They are glaring concerns and never seem to get rectified. These are the issues fans have with the current staff and they've reared their heads for the last 3 years.

The player development issue is so complex, at least to me. When you recruit these kids at 16, 17, 18 yrs old you have an estimated guess at best as to what their work ethic will be and how they will mature. I'm not by any means saying coaches have no affect on player development, I just think at times the players themselves must be accountable. I agree, it's a real issue and one that is often over-looked. I think Hall, McBee, and next yrs class will truly show Pearl's ability to develop his players.

As for the 2 guard spot, I really don't know. I like the upper body strength of Goins and I feel that is crucial at the point but for some reason, to me, Maze seems more natural at pg. Honestly, I'd rather see them continue to split time, have Scottie and Skyler work the 2, JP and Tatum at the 3, with all 4 of them interchangeable between the 2 and 3.

We have lost more than one player, pal

I think getting Tatum back will help tremendously. He simply allows JP to run back-up point if need be if they do allow Goins and Maze to play side by side and he can take some of the perimeter scoring pressure off Scottie. If BW could somehow get into game shape and allow for Hall and Chism to play side by side that would be clutch. I hope CBP is working those guys in practice and really shaping the squad for the post-season

Good point i sure hope you are right and tatum steps up to the plate

I agree. Roster construction is the key here. We have recruited shady characters and then act like we're shocked when they do something wrong.

the last 3 years?/ you mean like when they went to the sweet sixteen without any future NBA players (at this point) on the team, and with their best player undergoing treatment for cancer before the season, and a former walk-on playing as good as anyone in the SEC?

Yeah, that was really a terrible coaching job, you are right!! :eek:lol:

the last 3 years?/ you mean like when they went to the sweet sixteen without any future NBA players (at this point) on the team, and with their best player undergoing treatment for cancer before the season, and a former walk-on playing as good as anyone in the SEC?

Yeah, that was really a terrible coaching job, you are right!! :eek:lol:

yeah, that year when we beat memphis on their floor and then fizzled down the stretch and looked absolutely lifeless in the tourney and got completely drilled by Louisville after having the worshiped #1 ranking for 24 hours. yeah, that year when we let american U almost embarrassed us and then pearl started jp at the point versus butler and he had 5 TO's in 5 minutes. yeah, that year when we had our best shot to make a FF and then they completely fell asleep under the great motivator. yeah, that year.

Last edited:
The player development issue is so complex, at least to me. When you recruit these kids at 16, 17, 18 yrs old you have an estimated guess at best as to what their work ethic will be and how they will mature. I'm not by any means saying coaches have no affect on player development, I just think at times the players themselves must be accountable. I agree, it's a real issue and one that is often over-looked. I think Hall, McBee, and next yrs class will truly show Pearl's ability to develop his players.

As for the 2 guard spot, I really don't know. I like the upper body strength of Goins and I feel that is crucial at the point but for some reason, to me, Maze seems more natural at pg. Honestly, I'd rather see them continue to split time, have Scottie and Skyler work the 2, JP and Tatum at the 3, with all 4 of them interchangeable between the 2 and 3.

Coach to player: "Work hard, or find another place to play."

Simple fix.

Goins has obviously stepped up and Maze had his moments when Goins was suspended. I am just shocked at how Woolridge has become a total waste of a scholly. Scotty needs to be more aggressive and take the rock strong to the hoop. I can't wait to get Harris to Knoxville. He will be an inside force that the Vols have needed for some time now. Along with McCrae, Ware, and Jones(if he makes it) Vols will be taking a big step forward. I am just not that big on Golden. Seen him play multiple games and he did not impress. For those of you who think Golden is our answer at PG, you are sorely mistaken. Way better fit at SG.

VN Store

Back