A few thoughts on the season so far....

g8terh8ter_eric

No Disassemble!
1. Find a PG and stick with him. If your having this much trouble finding someone to run the offense through this late in the year, then you will exit the NCAA tourney rather quickly.

2. Light a fire under Scotty Hopson's butt. No seriously, light a literal fire under his butt so we can see some hustle. This guy was supposed to be the second coming of Chris Loften, except better, and he has yet to even come close in scratching the surface of his talent.

3. Keep McBee on the bench. He's a liability right now, just like Bruce Pearl's son. Give the kid another year, and he's will be an average player. It's not like he's going to be a Dane Bradshaw type player.

4. Kenny Hall hasn't progressed a lot. This really scares me honestly. As much as he's played, he hasn't really had the light go off yet. He will, just don't think it will be this season.

5. Swiperboy, I love ya man, but you have got to be more patient. You throw up more prayers than Bon Jovi.

6. Develop a resemblance of a half-court game Bruce. I've been complaining about this for sometime now, and honestly you are never going to go past the S16 if you don't, let alone dominate the SEC.

7. I am impressed when we play good teams, and thoroughly disappointed when we play the LSU's of the SEC. We just need to schedule Kentucky 8 times a year and then we would be better prepared for the NCAA tourney. Of course, they may beat us 4-6 times a year doing that, but at least the competition would be better.

8. The SEC is terrible, outside UT, Vandy, Florida, and Kentucky. The SEC West is doubly as bad.

9. Wayne Chism and JP Prince are the best two players on the team. The rest of the guys couldn't hit the broad side of consistency with a tank. These two have made some boneheaded plays, but they have been, by far, the most consistent.

10. Kentucky will win the SEC, the SECT, and make it to the Elite 8. I see them losing to a Big East team.

Pearl will take us past the sweet 16. Write it down . Not this year, but it will happen

I usually like your posts gator hater but not this one. Pearl has done an outstanding job this year. If you think otherwise you are lying to yourself.

1. Find a PG and stick with him. If your having this much trouble finding someone to run the offense through this late in the year, then you will exit the NCAA tourney rather quickly.

2. Light a fire under Scotty Hopson's butt. No seriously, light a literal fire under his butt so we can see some hustle. This guy was supposed to be the second coming of Chris Loften, except better, and he has yet to even come close in scratching the surface of his talent.

3. Keep McBee on the bench. He's a liability right now, just like Bruce Pearl's son. Give the kid another year, and he's will be an average player. It's not like he's going to be a Dane Bradshaw type player.

4. Kenny Hall hasn't progressed a lot. This really scares me honestly. As much as he's played, he hasn't really had the light go off yet. He will, just don't think it will be this season.

5. Swiperboy, I love ya man, but you have got to be more patient. You throw up more prayers than Bon Jovi.

6. Develop a resemblance of a half-court game Bruce. I've been complaining about this for sometime now, and honestly you are never going to go past the S16 if you don't, let alone dominate the SEC.

7. I am impressed when we play good teams, and thoroughly disappointed when we play the LSU's of the SEC. We just need to schedule Kentucky 8 times a year and then we would be better prepared for the NCAA tourney. Of course, they may beat us 4-6 times a year doing that, but at least the competition would be better.

8. The SEC is terrible, outside UT, Vandy, Florida, and Kentucky. The SEC West is doubly as bad.

9. Wayne Chism and JP Prince are the best two players on the team. The rest of the guys couldn't hit the broad side of consistency with a tank. These two have made some boneheaded plays, but they have been, by far, the most consistent.

10. Kentucky will win the SEC, the SECT, and make it to the Elite 8. I see them losing to a Big East team.

McBee and Pearl aren't what's killing us. I think it's much more the pathetic play of Hopson as of late. Steven Pearl is outplaying Woolridge right now.

Other than that, good analysis.

I usually like your posts gator hater but not this one. Pearl has done an outstanding job this year. If you think otherwise you are lying to yourself.

If you think they run a competent half-court offense, you're lying to yourself.

Hopson was a 5 star too. Maybe you mean they have the potential to be next year or two years, but certainly not this year.

the key to everything IMO, is Hopson...this was the year that if he stepped up and became a "stud" along with Tyler (if we still had him), and Chism, we could have been a very very tough team to contend with.

The PG play is still hurting us too, but Goins had a very good game against KY, and if he could consistently play like he did in that game, that will go a long way in helping us the rest of this season

the key to everything IMO, is Hopson...this was the year that if he stepped up and became a "stud" along with Tyler (if we still had him), and Chism, we could have been a very very tough team to contend with.

The PG play is still hurting us too, but Goins had a very good game against KY, and if he could consistently play like he did in that game, that will go a long way in helping us the rest of this season

Spot on

also, I think our half court defense has really improved as the season has gone along...they played a really good game against KY defensively... this will have to continue to progress if we want to finish the season well

Didnt say they were perfect but tell me, coach, what would you do with this bunch?

We would run a motion offense instead of passing the ball on the perimeter for 25 seconds and then jacking up a 35 foot three. We would have an actual offense rather than just a plethora of set plays that we call every single time down the floor.

S. Pearl logging as many minutes as he does is hurting. Yes, he hustles and has heart, but he is a liability - both on the defense and on offense in the half court game.

Hopson is down right pathetic.

McBee will be okay - in practice he is an All-American.

JP is very versatile and a tough player.

Chism is Chism - he needs to demand the ball down low more.

Goins has surprised me the most - not sure if it is luck or skill at this point. Let the man play.

Maze has played hard, but against good competition disappears.

K. Hall has improved but he needs to get some intensity.

Coach Pearl has done a fabulous job this year. You just can't say otherwise.

1. Find a PG and stick with him. If your having this much trouble finding someone to run the offense through this late in the year, then you will exit the NCAA tourney rather quickly. Totally agree but losing point production from everyone

2. Light a fire under Scotty Hopson's butt. No seriously, light a literal fire under his butt so we can see some hustle. This guy was supposed to be the second coming of Chris Loften, except better, and he has yet to even come close in scratching the surface of his talent.Pleanty of talent, but it seems that he hasnt been given the keys to the car yet?

3. Keep McBee on the bench. He's a liability right now, just like Bruce Pearl's son. Give the kid another year, and he's will be an average player. It's not like he's going to be a Dane Bradshaw type player. One thing is for sure they cant be on the floor at the same time

4. Kenny Hall hasn't progressed a lot. This really scares me honestly. As much as he's played, he hasn't really had the light go off yet. He will, just don't think it will be this season. With the flex you dont always get into what I would call "his shot type selection"

5. Swiperboy, I love ya man, but you have got to be more patient. You throw up more prayers than Bon Jovi. I always said shoot to score...dont just shoot to be stooting

6. Develop a resemblance of a half-court game Bruce. I've been complaining about this for sometime now, and honestly you are never going to go past the S16 if you don't, let alone dominate the SEC. Flex, doenst always look pretty if you dont move the ball...it takes dribbling, passing and spacing to make it work at best...but alot of teams run it.

7. I am impressed when we play good teams, and thoroughly disappointed when we play the LSU's of the SEC. We just need to schedule Kentucky 8 times a year and then we would be better prepared for the NCAA tourney. Of course, they may beat us 4-6 times a year doing that, but at least the competition would be better..It always seems they will play when they know It will take a full team effort to win, they play hard

8. The SEC is terrible, outside UT, Vandy, Florida, and Kentucky. The SEC West is doubly as bad.Yep

9. Wayne Chism and JP Prince are the best two players on the team. The rest of the guys couldn't hit the broad side of consistency with a tank. These two have made some boneheaded plays, but they have been, by far, the most consistent.JP has so much talent if the full effort was there all game..it seems he has brain farts...Chism...what a player...plays hard 24/7

10. Kentucky will win the SEC, the SECT, and make it to the Elite 8. I see them losing to a Big East team. WE are just having to re-arrange playing minutes to make up for smith bone head mistake

Last edited:
S. Pearl logging as many minutes as he does is hurting. Yes, he hustles and has heart, but he is a liability - both on the defense and on offense in the half court game.

Hopson is down right pathetic.

McBee will be okay - in practice he is an All-American.

JP is very versatile and a tough player.

Chism is Chism - he needs to demand the ball down low more.

Goins has surprised me the most - not sure if it is luck or skill at this point. Let the man play.

Maze has played hard, but against good competition disappears.

K. Hall has improved but he needs to get some intensity.

Coach Pearl has done a fabulous job this year. You just can't say otherwise.

I agree with all....Pearl is a hustler, but should not see the floor no more than 2 or 3 minutes, if even that.

Kenny Hall needs to work on improving the rest of this season, because he will be one of our "bigs" next year along with Tobias!!

I really think the problems with this team start with Scotty Hopson. If he could do what he was supposed to do we would be alright. He was supposed to be a guy that could be counted on as a big time scorer, a guy that averages 20-25 ppg. If he could knock down 3's and make the jump shot consistently this would be a completely different team. That would open up the inside and driving lanes for JP; it would also open up more looks for McBee, Hall, etc. Since Scotty Hopson can't do anything, this team struggles. If he ever steps up his game, this team will be alright, until then we will struggle.

Last edited:

An outstanding job would be to be playing with some consistency on a nightly basis. We aren't, and this team has no identity, and won't until Hopson shows up and claims his team. This team relied too much on Smith and Chism, when we had Smith. The most dominate player we have won't even take this team under his wings. We may lose in the First Round if this team keeps going the way it is.

An outstanding job would be to be playing with some consistency on a nightly basis. We aren't, and this team has no identity, and won't until Hopson shows up and claims his team. This team relied too much on Smith and Chism, when we had Smith. The most dominate player we have won't even take this team under his wings. We may lose in the First Round if this team keeps going the way it is.

Chism is by far the most dominant player on this team. Don't believe all the hype surrounding Hopson. He's not as good as some of the media would have you believe. He was simply overrated coming out of HS.

Chism is by far the most dominant player on this team. Don't believe all the hype surrounding Hopson. He's not as good as some of the media would have you believe. He was simply overrated coming out of HS.

He has all the tools to be a VERY dominant player. The problem is, he doesn't know it yet. When he figures out that if he actually applies himself and tries to take this team over, he will be Loftenesque.

He has all the tools to be a VERY dominant player. The problem is, he doesn't know it yet. When he figures out that if he actually applies himself and tries to take this team over, he will be Loftenesque.

he's never going to dominate like Lofton......he can't even hold Lofton's socks......he simply doesn't have the personality to dominate anything.......not sure how they are giong to motivate him or convince him otherwise......although if there is a way to do it, now would be a good time to try.....:eek:lol:

VN Store

Back