Wes Rucker/Bruce Pearl Interview

Heavy defense of McBee's minutes. Sounds like Pearl is hearing the rumblings from the fans.

Q: Will you look into the possibility of playing point guards Bobby Maze and Melvin Goins at the same time?

PEARL: “I don’t know whether I said it before the Vanderbilt game — I think it might have been before the Vanderbilt game, maybe it was right afterwards — that we needed more productivity at the 2. And we still do. Bobby and Melvin both played well again (at Kentucky). Melvin’s played well since he came back with great consistency, so I do think there is a possibility of getting Bobby a rotation at the 2. It won’t come from Skylar McBee’s minutes. It won’t, because Skylar’s still earned his spot. In the first half against Kentucky on the plus/minus chart, I think Skylar led us with plus-9. He had four rebounds at half, six rebounds for the game, and he did a lot of little things in there that don’t show up on the stat sheet.

“I think there’s a chance, because here’s the deal: Yes would I like more production at the 2. If Bobby and Melvin are both going to play well and compete and step up and play tough on the road, then 40 minutes is not enough for them, so the minutes are going to have to come at the 2. And I’m not taking Skylar out of the regular rotation, so therefore Scotty Hopson’s minutes could drop some.

Q: What would be the biggest possible downside of playing Maze and Goins at the same time?

PEARL: “I think the only downside would be, ‘Where do the minutes come from?’ That’s why I answered the question with, ‘If Bobby gets a rotation each half at the 2.’ If he does, then the minutes will come from Scotty and J.P. They’ve been playing 32 or 33 minutes, and maybe then they’d play 29. But those minutes won’t come from Skylar.”

This is curious. Skylar gets minutes, I think, because of work ethic. Why else? SERIOUSLY! I think Skylar is a work in progress and I hope it is fruitful in the years to come. It is obvious that he has impressed Pearl some how.

I noticed that comment also, I guess he's read a few posts on here about Skylar..ha. I think it would be a good idea to play maze and goins at the same time. If they left in JP, that'd be three "slashers" or players able to take it to the basket and maybe it would open up some threes for Scotty or Skylar. Something will have to change next time we play UK. I don't think UK will get off to such a slow start next time.

Skylar needs to give up some minutes, unless Bruce is trying to acclimate him to the college game for future shooting purposes. Who knows...I would love it if his son didn't play at all.:dance2:

Skylar needs to give up some minutes, unless Bruce is trying to acclimate him to the college game for future shooting purposes. Who knows...I would love it if his son didn't play at all.:dance2:

exactly what he's doing with the Skylar minutes. Player development for the future. Anything he can contribute now is good. I'm thinking that Woolridge, and maybe Pearl, are the ones that will give up some minutes.

exactly what he's doing with the Skylar minutes. Player development for the future. Anything he can contribute now is good. I'm thinking that Woolridge, and maybe Pearl, are the ones that will give up some minutes.

Why would Woolridge and Pearl give up minutes for Skylar? They don't really compete over minutes. This is the question everyone seems to be asking, why don't we play Goins and Maze at the same time. I guess I never thought he would take minutes away from Scottie but I do agree with developing McBee because he could contribute an enormous amount in the future and unlike Scottie he is tough and physical.

Why would Woolridge and Pearl give up minutes for Skylar? They don't really compete over minutes. This is the question everyone seems to be asking, why don't we play Goins and Maze at the same time. I guess I never thought he would take minutes away from Scottie but I do agree with developing McBee because he could contribute an enormous amount in the future and unlike Scottie he is tough and physical.

I'm guessing like anyone else would outside the inner circle. I would say Pearl has (or assistants) have multiple programs where every single aspect of the game is put in. Player combos, +/- traits of every combo ever on the floor, etc. These would show the least productive combination of players and offense/defense schemes. I'm guessing that the production might fall off with those two. I really don't know. And, I'm not saying it fails, just maybe tapers. I'm up for anyone playing on this team and fully support them when they take the floor. And, I know that Bruce is looking for answers that he will find.

Heard Pearl on VolCalls Monday night. He went through this again with Kesling. Sounded like the minutes would come from Hopson. He stated again that McBee's minutes would not be cut.

VN Store

Back