Why we won't make it past the Sweet 16, again...

BigOrangeArsenal

BLEED ORANGE!
This is just my opinion so please TIFWIW... I am a Pearl fan, but I just feel he lacks the fundamental knowledge of the game, as well as, a discipline for his players to get Tennessee to the next level. So here goes...

#1 - Flex Offense is not an offense! We pass the ball back and forth around the arch then look for an opportunity inside. Most of the time there is little movement inside and we run down the shot clock and force a bad 3! We need to have a set offensive system, especially if we are not running and gunning anymore!

#2 - Bad substitutions! We continuously are putting the wrong line-up on the floor or making substitution faux pas. Examples: (1) Chism is subbed in with 1:00 left on the clock at the end of the first half versus Kansas! He picks up his 3rd foul, forcing him to be on the bench a majority of the game! (2) With 5-to-10 minutes left in the game against Vandy (at Vandy) and us being down 20+, not once was the starting line-up inserted in order to cut the lead! Mcbee is continuously over-played! Why is Pearl playing at all? Why are Hall & Maze not getting more minutes?

#3 - Why is Woolridge starting in front of Kenny Hall? Kenny Hall is the team's future and ultimately Chism's replacement down-low! Woolridge has been shooting terribly, lacks rebounding ability, and is essentially a tall guard out there! Conversely, Hall has been playing great in the little minutes he gets out there! Hall is young and a bit raw, but possesses a lot more natural ability than Woolridge.

#4 - Terrible Free Throw Shooting! Again, another fundamental that Pearl is not stressing! Did you see Vandy's free throw performance the other night?! That should be the standard for our team! Take entire practices shooting free throws if that's what it takes!

#5 - Why no press? For a team that boasts the nation's best in-bounding defense, we barely press anymore! We got to play our strengths and we're just not doing that!

#6-- because we don't have the personnel in our current roster.-- Pearl deserves some serious criticism over the Vandy games, USC game, etc. But I'm not sure that anyone could do much better with this current roster. So, I'll give him a pass.

My suggestion: Just expect nothing more from this team. This season is pretty much shot and just prepare for a first round exit in the tourney this season. Next year should be much better.

Why is it that the last couple of seasons, when one predicts the season will play out below expectations they are a bad fan, but when one complains about not meeting expectations they are again not being realistic and are a bad fan?

I am thoroughly confused by the schizophrenic nature of the UT basketball fan base.

My suggestion: Just expect nothing more from this team. This season is pretty much shot and just prepare for a first round exit in the tourney this season. Next year should be much better.

I agree... I lost all hope in this team when I watched (in-person) us getting embarrassed by Vandy... I just gave up!

At this point, we would be fortunate to even make it TO the Sweet 16. Our play, as of late, has us one bad matchup or poor shooting game away from a first round exit.

I forgot to add...

#6 Lack of Player Development! Prince, Tyler Smith, Hopson, Tatum are all the players they were in years past or worse! Williams and Chism have only improved slightly!

#7 Bad evaluation of recruiting talent! How many 5-star busts have we racked up?!? ....enough said!

I forgot to add...

#6 Lack of Player Development! Prince, Tyler Smith, Hopson, Tatum are all the players they were in years past or worse! Williams and Chism have only improved slightly!

#7 Bad evaluation of recruiting talent! How many 5-star busts have we racked up?!? ....enough said!

I forgot to add...

One?

Unless we really get some more contribution from our guards and our forwards can hit anything besides layups, I don't see us making it to the second weekend. We may win the first game, but just can't get by a team with quality BIGS. With Tyler we could have maybe squeezed out a game or two. But even with him in the lineup, I don't see us getting past the Sweet 16.

Ehh, he has pulled in three I believe, and every one has been overrated or trouble or both.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I forgot about Crews and Smith. And I wasn't disputing the bad evaluation of recruits. I just hate when people randomly throw out incorrect statements to prove a point.

Last edited:
At this point, we would be fortunate to even make it TO the Sweet 16. Our play, as of late, has us one bad matchup or poor shooting game away from a first round exit.

Fortunate? Given the fact the only reason we're a lock to the tourney is because of a win against Kansas, it would be damn near a miracle to reach the sweet 16.

I was wrong. There are 3: Crews, Ramar Smith, Scotty Hopson.

Hopson has been our only consensus 5 star. Ramar smith played out of position, he was no PG. Duke Crews would have had significant PT this year and probably would have exploded with his energy.

Hopson has been our only consensus 5 star. Ramar smith played out of position, he was no PG. Duke Crews would have had significant PT this year and probably would have exploded with his energy.

Exploded may not be the best word with Crews' heart problem.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Maybe it is because we don't have enough talent. With the loss of Tyler we just don't have the talent to make it that far.

VN Store

Back