Ron Slay

I was pretty young when Ron played so I don't remember a lot.But the one thing I do remember was his buzzer-beater against Clemson.

If you guys are complaining about the attitude of guys on this team, you'd hate Slay. He sliced up Syracuse at the Carrier Dome beautifully, though, and was the best player in the SEC by his senior year before tearing up his knee.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you guys are complaining about the attitude of guys on this team, you'd hate Slay. He sliced up Syracuse at the Carrier Dome beautifully, though, and was the best player in the SEC by his senior year before tearing up his knee.

I was at the game when he tore his knee up. It sucked.

That's a great name to have in sports. Newpaper headlines could be so sweet. "Clemson Slayed at the Buzzer" haha

Ron Slay...so many great moments. SEC officials had it in for him; I remember when he got a "T" from one particular zebra...when the ref was asked why he gave it to the Slay, the reply was classic: "He was jumping."

Just think if we had Ron Slay and Vincent Yarbrough. Yarbrough is one of my top 3 fav. players.

He tore up his knee his junior year not his senior year.

My favorite thing about Ron Slay was at Midnight madness he came out and dunked over the ball rack wearing the mask from the movie Scream. Dude was a showman. Too bad in that NIT game he was not interested against Georgetown or that team could have made the elite eight of the NIT to hang a banner in the rafters of TBA. j/k

When i was a kid I first started really getting in to basketball Slay was my favorite i can remember sitting in the car listening to the Florida game on the radio cause it cause it wasnt on tv ..... and we won :dance2:

Chism wears it better because of the mystique. How does it stay on? But I loved it when Slay got ticked and pulled the headband down around his neck... classic. Maybe my favorite Vol in the last decade because of his intensity & attitude.

VN Store

Back