Comments < Last Night's Officiating

TNLawVol

The lack of Basketball IQ on this site is the only thing worse than last night's officiating (and yes I know I will now receive many immature and lame "put-downs").

First, the vast majority of the ppl on here bash J.P. Prince, one of the few players creating offense. Last I checked we haven't been posting incredible pt totals, I think we should be valuing offense, not demeaning it.

The scoring opportunities last night came when we were able to penetrate the lane, and either dish down-low or convert lay-ups. A downside is that we become susceptible to charges. We proved that that offense does work against Kentucky. For some reason many posters on here brawl-beat a kid who actually executed the offense. Nice.

I don't know how many times I have seen on here, "Why don't we play Maze and Goins together?" or "Why is Woolridge getting more minutes than Maze and Goins?"

Wow, do the ppl who post these comments have a clue about basketball. We have two point guards. TWO. That's it. If you haven't noticed, we're a bit short handed. One must play, and carry the entire ball handling load, and then other must come in and not miss a beat. What happens if one gets into foul trouble? You cannot be playing them at the same time, that's awful.

As for Woolridge, he's a big body. Is he great, of course not, but he's needed to give Chism some fresh air, and help out Hall. Perfect situation, no, but comparing his minutes to Maze and Goins is illogical, they serve different purposes.

As for the lack of rebounding on the defensive side, well, when you play a 3-2 zone, it's usually to have the opposite guard play strong help-side defense while also containing penetration. We did that well. The vulnerability is the offensive rebounding and transition offense. Kentucky did that well.

I agree very much with the notion that Hopson has not stepped up or lived up to much this season. Where's Jon Higgins shot selection when you actually have a good shooter...

And lastly, Pearl and McBee are walk-ons. You're out of your mind if you expect either to compete against Wall, Bledsoe, and Cousins. It's unrealistic and just because they are getting minutes doesn't make them overnight All-SEC players. We should be commending them on how hard they play and for competing every night, which they both do.

Please bash this post with intelligent basketball theory and/or strategy.

I agree that S. Pearl works hard but he should not be on the floor 8 minutes into the UK game...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The lack of Basketball IQ on this site is the only thing worse than last night's officiating (and yes I know I will now receive many immature and lame "put-downs").

First, the vast majority of the ppl on here bash J.P. Prince, one of the few players creating offense. Last I checked we haven't been posting incredible pt totals, I think we should be valuing offense, not demeaning it.

The scoring opportunities last night came when we were able to penetrate the lane, and either dish down-low or convert lay-ups. A downside is that we become susceptible to charges. We proved that that offense does work against Kentucky. For some reason many posters on here brawl-beat a kid who actually executed the offense. Nice.

I don't know how many times I have seen on here, "Why don't we play Maze and Goins together?" or "Why is Woolridge getting more minutes than Maze and Goins?"

Wow, do the ppl who post these comments have a clue about basketball. We have two point guards. TWO. That's it. If you haven't noticed, we're a bit short handed. One must play, and carry the entire ball handling load, and then other must come in and not miss a beat. What happens if one gets into foul trouble? You cannot be playing them at the same time, that's awful.

As for Woolridge, he's a big body. Is he great, of course not, but he's needed to give Chism some fresh air, and help out Hall. Perfect situation, no, but comparing his minutes to Maze and Goins is illogical, they serve different purposes.

As for the lack of rebounding on the defensive side, well, when you play a 3-2 zone, it's usually to have the opposite guard play strong help-side defense while also containing penetration. We did that well. The vulnerability is the offensive rebounding and transition offense. Kentucky did that well.

I agree very much with the notion that Hopson has not stepped up or lived up to much this season. Where's Jon Higgins shot selection when you actually have a good shooter...

And lastly, Pearl and McBee are walk-ons. You're out of your mind if you expect either to compete against Wall, Bledsoe, and Cousins. It's unrealistic and just because they are getting minutes doesn't make them overnight All-SEC players. We should be commending them on how hard they play and for competing every night, which they both do.

+1 Great Post!

Well I see JP has his first member of his fan club.
I've never gotten the hate for JP. You know he's going to scrap, play good defense, distribute the ball, slash . . . and about 3 times a game he's going to make you want to pull your hair out. He just is what he is and you have to accept the bad with the good. All in all I think he bails out the offense more than he hurts it.

I agree that S. Pearl works hard but he should not be on the floor 8 minutes into the UK game...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

In most situations, no; however, I feel last night it was probably the right call. We needed a physical presence, and not in the sense of a "big man" but more so along the lines to show that we weren't going to back down and we were going to be scrappy and fight. He comes in, smacks Cousins across the arms, grabs a couple fouls, and gets some energy flowing. It's tough to be a critic when there isn't often a better solution to provide. That's the unfortunate position CBP is in.

I've never gotten the hate for JP. You know he's going to scrap, play good defense, distribute the ball, slash . . . and about 3 times a game he's going to make you want to pull your hair out. He just is what he is and you have to accept the bad with the good. All in all I think he bails out the offense more than he hurts it.

I will give it to him, last night he played one of the best games of the year for him. Now onto the bad, have you forgotten about all the stupid turnovers, bad jumpshots, missed free throws, silly fouls on jump shots, the taunting in the Memphis game, and the complaining that he has NEVER fouled another player?

Nice post.

As I've said many times before, JP will be missed by this team next year. He does some things that can be questioned but his good far outweighs his bad. It's just that people love to focus on his negatives.

I will give it to him, last night he played one of the best games of the year for him. Now onto the bad, have you forgotten about all the stupid turnovers, bad jumpshots, missed free throws, silly fouls on jump shots, the taunting in the Memphis game, and the complaining that he has NEVER fouled another player?

Those can be used as descriptors for almost everyone on this team.

I like the intensity. And he showed up to play the game, why do you care if he taunts other players? How the hell is that going to impact a game?

I clicked on this thread to see what you were going to say about the officiating....Did I miss something ???...

BTW...I'm glad I have you to tell me how good JP Prince is though....

Again, how does that impact the game?

JP averages 2 turnovers a game. For someone who handles the rock and drives as much as he does, that's not bad.

A long post doesn't show you have basketball knowledge. I have never been a JP supporter just for the fact he is one dimensional and tends to play stupid most of the time. Does he create open shots for others NO, he can only go left and tend to be a weak sister once he gets to the rim. At 6'9" with his wingspan, he should rarely have lay-ins it should be dunks.

I think Hopson plays timid and I think its due to lack of HS competition. He dominated KY HS ball but has yet to live up to standards in college. On the AAU circuit he had great players around him unlike at Tennessee. This hurts him cause since he's timid against top notch comp. it is hard for him to create his shot. Now against the ETSU's of the world he can beat his man off the dribble but not against big time players. He'll be here 4 years.

I don't expect much from Pearl or McBee, not because tehre walk-ons but because they are just not that talented. Pearl plays hard and works his tail off of defense. He stays within himself on offense and knows what he can and can't do. I think McBee loses alot due to the competetion level. In HS he never played against great players where he had to play hard 100% of the game, now he loses his legs because he has to, which in turn hurts his shot. That being said, I think once Pearl learns how to use him he will contribute. Remember when Florida had Humphrey? Noah, Green and Horford all found ways to get him open looks, playing a 3 man game, post ups and kick outs or beating the man off the dribble. We don't do that.

Woolridge needs to leanr his role and realize he shoots 13% from the 3. Him and Kenny Hall both need to become deadly from the elbow (the lost art of a mid-range jumper.) Once they both get that down it will open things for them on offense. They both need to get some meat on them cause there not quick enough to guard a good2 or 3 and not big enough to guard 4's or 5's.

All this being said, I like you analogy but don't agree with you on some things, especially JP.

I clicked on this thread to see what you were going to say about the officiating....Did I miss something ???...

BTW...I'm glad I have you to tell me how good JP Prince is though....

Yes, you missed a lot. I think it is safe to say last night's officiating was mediocre at best and I was comparing to the comments posted about our team to last nights officiating by using the < (a mathematical symbol meaning "less than")

Unfortunately, yes, someone must show just how good our assist leader, #2 rebounder, and #1 offensive creator is.

The scoring opportunities last night came when we were able to penetrate the lane, and either dish down-low or convert lay-ups. A downside is that we become susceptible to charges. We proved that that offense does work against Kentucky.
Did you also notice the tremendous amount of shots they had blocked when they did get to the basket?

Yes, you missed a lot. I think it is safe to say last night's officiating was mediocre at best and I was comparing to the comments posted about our team to last nights officiating by using the < (a mathematical symbol meaning "less than")

Unfortunately, yes, someone must show just how good our assist leader, #2 rebounder, and #1 offensive creator is.

I saw the game..I saw the fouls...

The title of your thread is more than a little misleading...

Maybe it should have been titled "Here Look At Me I Know More About Basketball Than Anyone On VolNation"...

Ironic, sort of the way JP plays...

I like the intensity. And he showed up to play the game, why do you care if he taunts other players? How the hell is that going to impact a game?

Yea, he was acting realy classy. He was bouncing around like an idiot, while everyone in the country was calling him an fool.
JP needs to shut up and play instead of complaining about everything and talking smack all the time.

A long post doesn't show you have basketball knowledge. I have never been a JP supporter just for the fact he is one dimensional and tends to play stupid most of the time. Does he create open shots for others NO, he can only go left and tend to be a weak sister once he gets to the rim. At 6'9" with his wingspan, he should rarely have lay-ins it should be dunks.

I think Hopson plays timid and I think its due to lack of HS competition. He dominated KY HS ball but has yet to live up to standards in college. On the AAU circuit he had great players around him unlike at Tennessee. This hurts him cause since he's timid against top notch comp. it is hard for him to create his shot. Now against the ETSU's of the world he can beat his man off the dribble but not against big time players. He'll be here 4 years.

I don't expect much from Pearl or McBee, not because tehre walk-ons but because they are just not that talented. Pearl plays hard and works his tail off of defense. He stays within himself on offense and knows what he can and can't do. I think McBee loses alot due to the competetion level. In HS he never played against great players where he had to play hard 100% of the game, now he loses his legs because he has to, which in turn hurts his shot. That being said, I think once Pearl learns how to use him he will contribute. Remember when Florida had Humphrey? Noah, Green and Horford all found ways to get him open looks, playing a 3 man game, post ups and kick outs or beating the man off the dribble. We don't do that.

Woolridge needs to leanr his role and realize he shoots 13% from the 3. Him and Kenny Hall both need to become deadly from the elbow (the lost art of a mid-range jumper.) Once they both get that down it will open things for them on offense. They both need to get some meat on them cause there not quick enough to guard a good2 or 3 and not big enough to guard 4's or 5's.

All this being said, I like you analogy but don't agree with you on some things, especially JP.

I do remember Humphrey at Florida, I played with him at Maryville. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone who is going to break the NCAA tournament 3pt record anytime soon (Humphrey did).

I appreciate you pointing out the length of my post doesn't show my basketball knowledge, yet, you immediately attacked my analysis of JP by stating you were not a supporter of him. Way to prove your point. Does he create for others? I think you meant to answer, yes. The answer is yes shown factually through his team leading 3.3 apg. Please do not argue facts through flawed opinions, you must be living in a video game world if you believe every 6'9 guard should have rare lay-ins but rather more dunks. Of all the things JP does it safe to say his dunking has been one of our few highlight reels.

Agreed though on Hopson.

Its so refreshing to see that some TN fans to understand basketball. Very true. Ive said some of the same things all year and everyone bashed me, saying "I dont care about this team, they are a bust, should be blowing everyone out, I remember when mears... etc". Ive coached basketball for 13 years, and its just refreshing to hear this. You should post more often.

Got an issue? Here's a tissue. :cray:

I saw the game..I saw the fouls...

The title of your thread is more than a little misleading...

Maybe it should have been titled "Here Look At Me I Know More About Basketball Than Anyone On VolNation"...

Ironic, sort of the way JP plays...

Haha, I rest my case. And thank you for the JP comparison, love him or hate him, he's the 2nd or 3rd best player on the team pending your thoughts on Scottie. I apologize for the title confusing you. Of everything that's been posted I didn't foresee the title drawing much recognition.

VN Store

Back