The Pembroke Postgame Report.

hatvol96

1. That was as good an effort as could have been expected. The game plan worked perfectly for 32 minutes.
2. Wayne Chism made himself some money tonight. NBA people love guys who will suck it up and go play.
3. On the other hand, Scotty Hopson is proving to be softer than Brandon Crump. He needs to do some serious soul searching.
4. Bruce Pearl is in an incredibly difficult situation. He is forced to play three guys who have absolutely no business being on the floor against Top 20 competition.
5. Tonight was a stark example of what I fear will become a recurring theme in games against Kentucky. We recruit good prospects like Kenny Hall, while they pull in lottery picks like DeMarcus Cousins.
6. John Wall and Cousins will get all the pro hype. Eric Bledsoe will simply become a Gary Payton quality defender.
7. Kentucky will lose at least one game this week. Their lapses won't allow them to sweep Mississippi State and Vanderbilt on the road.
8. DeAndre Liggins was the X factor tonight. He made several defensive plays that got UK easy hoops when baskets were at a premium.
9. The Atlantic 10 should be very worried. Rick Majerus is about to have St. Louis built to his liking.
10. Cornell saved their season tonight. A loss at Princeton would have taken their fate out of their own hands.

2. Wayne Chism made himself some money tonight. NBA people love guys who will suck it up and go play.

I'm really impressed with Chism's effort also. He gave his all today, and if Hopson would have stood up we would have had a shot.

We might have a chance to beat them here in Knoxville but we'll see.

Hat, do at least 2 wins out of our final 6 games get us into the tourney? I really see us being lucky to get 2-3 wins out of our last 6.

It's going to be impossible for this team to succeed with Hopson, Woolridge and McBee playing the way they are with the minutes they are getting. It's just not gonna happen.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Does Pearl not evaluting HS talent well? It just seems like a lot of our "star" starters have far too many flaws in their game.

1. That was as good an effort as could have been expected. The game plan worked perfectly for 32 minutes.
3. On the other hand, Scotty Hopson is proving to be softer than Brandon Crump. He needs to do some serious soul searching.
4. Bruce Pearl is in an incredibly difficult situation. He is forced to play three guys who have absolutely no business being on the floor against Top 20 competition.
5. Tonight was a stark example of what I fear will become a recurring theme in games against Kentucky. We recruit good prospects like Kenny Hall, while they pull in lottery picks like DeMarcus Cousins.
6. John Wall and Cousins will get all the pro hype. Eric Bledsoe will simply become a Gary Payton quality defender.
7. Kentucky will lose at least one game this week. Their lapses won't allow them to sweep Mississippi State and Vanderbilt on the road.
8. DeAndre Liggins was the X factor tonight. He made several defensive plays that got UK easy hoops when baskets were at a premium.
9. The Atlantic 10 should be very worried. Rick Majerus is about to have St. Louis built to his liking.

9. I thought he'd never get them there, it's been a while.

Where do you think this team seeds with what's likely to happen down the stretch? Anything better than 8 is an improvement, but a 1 seed is certainly out of the question.

Hopson is still the key. Why he sulks around the court is beyond me. Goins has been impressive last couple games. I really hope Wayne gets some help from somebody down the stretch to carry this team into March because you can see him begging on the court for someone, anyone to step it up and play with some fire and WANT the ball.

10. Cornell saved their season tonight. A loss at Princeton would have taken their fate out of their own hands.

I wish he would realize he has the ability to take over a game a la John Wall-esque if he would actually exert himself.

I was actually somewhat proud of him. After he got his pocket picked early in the game, I figured he would mope around and do nothing. I actually think he got to double digit points.

Do you think UK is a legit Final Four team?

I think our problems go back to the 2006 recruiting class. Only Chism remains from the six that came in that year. Two never saw meaningful minutes before being disposed of, two were kicked off the team after showing promise, and one more ominously left the team before this season began.

And thats why you depend on transfers, jucos and walk-ons four years down the road.

(And you look up and Kentucky has three first round picks playing a ton of minutes to lead them to victory. All in one recruiting class. Talk about bang for your buck.)

1. That was as good an effort as could have been expected. The game plan worked perfectly for 32 minutes....

1. Yes, it was. UT took an outmanned team and went toe-to-toe, just not for quite long enough.

4. It would help if he had more scoring options, but he doesn't. The loss of Tyler Smith really shows in situations like tonight.

To add insult to injury, my standing bet had the spread tonight at an even 10. The last two meaningless posessions could have gone a bit better for my liquor cabinet.

I wish he would realize he has the ability to take over a game a la John Wall-esque if he would actually exert himself.
He's not that good. That's part of the problem. He's listened to people telling him how talented he is and has convinced himself he doesn't have to go hard all the time.

Lots of good stuff people, it is also killing us the Negedu and Smith are off the team. They would be getting the minutes Woolridge and Pearl are occupying. Bruce needs another recruiting class to fill those holes. We need another athletic center like Wheezy in next years class, as well as another shooter. McBee is not the answer on the wing.

He's not that good. That's part of the problem. He's listened to people telling him how talented he is and has convinced himself he doesn't have to go hard all the time.

I should have qualified that better.

He's not as good as Wall talent wise, but he's still capable of carrying the load for this team in stretches.

Let me put it like this, IMO - he's talented enough to be a guy I want to have the ball in his hands in crucial times because I know he will produce. Right now I'm not even sure he wants the ball in clutch situations and was more or less forced to take that shot against Florida.

I hardly ever complain about officiating, but that was absolutely atrocious tonight, just on one side. You can tell the refs were affected by the home-court.

I really don't think comparing Bruce's recruiting to Cal's is a fair assessment. Yes they're going to be our chief rival, but that job combined with Cal's somewhat shady connections is going to be something no one in America can match.

I know you would agree that Bruce has some shortcomings Hat, but would you not also agree that generally speaking Bruce has more than handled him strategically in their matchups so far?

So basically what I'm saying is that as long as we recruit at a high level(something Bruce is now doing), I don't think we'll see another talent disparity like the one we saw tonight. Negedu's heart problem, Tyler's stupidity, and the worthlessness of Brian Williams is a three pronged stick poking us right in the heart right now, and I doubt that's a situation we'll find ourselves in again anytime soon.

Cal may recruit well but he's not going land two top three picks every year.

"3. On the other hand, Scotty Hopson is proving to be softer than Brandon Crump. He needs to do some serious soul searching."

Woolridge is even worse. Man those 2 guys are super-soft! I am so tired of watching Woolridge jack up 3's and 18-foot jumpers.

Wonder why CBP didn't call a time out to calm eveyone down when KY started that big run at the end? Anyone know why he hates to call time outs?

VN Store

Back