Kevin Ware

wcm100690

Went and watched him play lastnight. Major hops, scored around 15 points i believe and had one hell of a pack that was sent to about the 5th row. I believe he has tremendous upside and not to mention he looked liked a decent free throw shooter. He didnt take to many shots and im not sure why could be that he's a good team player and not selfish, but who knows.

Some of his highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBjzKC6ztK4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJbTQqy6jvs

Last edited:
Went and watched him play lastnight. Major hops, scored around 15 points i believe and had one hell of a pack that was sent to about the 5th row. I believe he has tremendous upside and not to mention he looked liked a decent free throw shooter. He didnt take to many shots and im not sure why could be that he's a good team player and not selfish, but who knows.

Hallelujah

His competition wasn't that great so im sure I didn't see anywhere near his best game. I think the team he faced was 2-17.

He sounds pretty good. Lets hope he sticks to his committment.

YES! Really looking forward to this kid. It's too bad that the two PGs Pearl had committed for this coming year backed out. We found a true diamond in the rough with Aaron Craft, who after we offered him, got the attention of big schools. Then of course Selby. Anyway, just bad luck. Can't wait to see this kid and hopefully Harris on the same floor. With McRae, Tatum, and Hall. They could be great.

What kind of a shooter is he? I have heard he is more of a slasher. Is this accurate?

What kind of a shooter is he? I have heard he is more of a slasher. Is this accurate?

From Scouts, Inc:
...showed an improved pull-up jump shot on several occasions to go with his finishing ability in the open floor. He was deadly off one or two dribbles inside the three-point line for pull-up jump shots that has been missing from his repertoire in the past.

Is inconsistent from 3-point range.

He is more of a slasher, but he's got a pretty nice jumper as well. I don't know anything about him from the 3-point range.

John Wall isnt the best shooter in the world either. Slasher's arent bad as long as he knows when to dish it off instead of taking an ill advised shot.

John Wall isnt the best shooter in the world either. Slasher's arent bad as long as he knows when to dish it off instead of taking an ill advised shot.

Yeah and he still has 1 more year before he comes here to improve his shot.

This kid is sick! I can't wait to see him in orange. He and C. Jones will be quite the combo!!

Kevin Ware making strides as combo forward - ESPN

This past spring and summer he seemed to struggle to find a good rhythm and looked uncomfortable while spending a good amount of time playing the point guard position. In fact he looked hesitant and unconfident much of the time, while running the point which are both uncharacteristic of the high-level athlete's game.

However, after watching Ware this past weekend it is obvious that the summer experiment has paid off. Playing more like a combo-guard, Ware unselfishly dominated the game while making plays for his teammates off the dribble. His decision making was confident and crisp choosing to pass or pull up for the jumper and he still excels in the open floor attacking the basket.

Yeah and he still has 1 more year before he comes here to improve his shot.

He can definitely improve his shot in High School, but chances are he improves even more at UT under the right direction from staff. Rod Strickland worked wonders with Wall, Miller and Pattersons jumpers last season. Many people think that its just practice, practice and more practice that makes the difference. Sometimes it takes a proven shooter that can relay and teach the proper technique to the kid, and you just can't get that in high school on a consistent basis.

If he can't shoot by now chances are he never will. The rest of his game is great, though.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Name some good players who developed a shot to make them even greater. It's rare. If you can shoot you can shoot, if you can't then you can't.

You're ignoring the point and using extremes to try and validate your viewpoint. Nobody is saying that you can turn Mutumbo into Ray Allen. It's a simple statement that kids with bad mechanics and bad form can improve their jumper with proper technique. Not to mention much better instruction and feedback, coupled with the access to practice facilities. If you can't see that, then I don't know what else to tell you.

You're ignoring the point and using extremes to try and validate your viewpoint. Nobody is saying that you can turn Mutumbo into Ray Allen. It's a simple statement that kids with bad mechanics and bad form can improve their jumper with proper technique. Not to mention much better instruction and feedback, coupled with the access to practice facilities. If you can't see that, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Not many people make big leaps at shooting. Look at UT, Hopson isn't a much better shooter than when he arrived. Look at you, John Wall improved his shot a little, but he's not going to show significant improvement. It's just something that either you have, or you don't.

Lofton was a great shooter when he arrived on campus as a freshman. When you shoot at that level, you can't really get much better.

Lofton was a great shooter when he arrived on campus as a freshman. When you shoot at that level, you can't really get much better.

What? I'm saying that if you're a 30% shooter coming out of high school, you're not going to suddenly be busting it at a clip of 45% during your college career.

What? I'm saying that if you're a 30% shooter coming out of high school, you're not going to suddenly be busting it at a clip of 45% during your college career.

What I said basically supported your argument. You're not going to become a pure shooter in one season or in one's career unless you spend the night at the gym for 6 months.

You said "If you can shoot you can shoot, if you can't then you can't."

Last edited:
I tend to agree that some players are shooters and some aren't and never will be. That's not to say there can never be improvement with tinkering with mechanics or practice. But great shooters are generally born, not developed.

If you can shoot you can shoot, if you can't then you can't.

I disagree.

Obviously there are some folks with natural hand-eye coordination and depth perception who can throw it up there backwards and blindfolded and they hit everything (Lofton).

And obviously there are some folks who are spazzoids who will never be able to shoot.

But most college athletes are in the middle.

Take a guy like Tatum. Against Georgetown his freshman year, he went 5-6 (83%) from the 3-piont arc, and might have been our MVP of that game. Later he went 5-10 against Gonzaga from the arc (in Knoxville), and in the first half in particular he seemingly couldn't miss.

But for the year, he only shot 32%. What gives?

Probably mechanics. He's got good hands and eyes, and when he's on, he can really shoot. But if there's a mechanical hitch, it can really throw you off to the point that some nights you can't find anything. And then you start overthinking, and you don't trust your hands and eyes anymore, and it gets worse.

That can be fixed. Get the mechanics sorted out in the offseason, and then cement the correct mechanics with repetition until it feels natural again, and then you (a) you can start trusting your hands and eyes again, and (b) you get a more consistent shot.

Cam's percentage jumped from 32% his freshman year to 39% last year.

I think McBee is a similar case. He shot 31% last year, and then in the Summer when he took the basketball trip to China, he shot nearly 50% from the arc.

As regards Ware, there's no way to tell by looking at HS stats whether he's a bad shooter, or whether he's potentially a good shooter who needs polish. Safe to say he's somewhere between Lofton and Wingate, and exactly WHERE between them we might not know until roughly his soph year.

VN Store

Back