Alan Houston?????

rockydoc

I don't venture on the basketball forum much so I'm sure this a redundant thread, but when will UT retire his number along with King's and Grundfeld's? It would be great to see Alan back at TBA.

I don't know when, or if, it is scheduled, but it should be done tomorrow. In fact, it should have been done already.

I suspect Dale Ellis would be the next to have his number retired, but Allan shouldn't worry, his time will come.

I totally agree! Allan was one of the better basketball players at UT.

I don't know when, or if, it is scheduled, but it should be done tomorrow. In fact, it should have been done already.

I don't think we will ever see that type of offensive production ever again at UT. I think he averaged 20 points all four years he was here. Second all time SEC scorer I think.

I suspect Dale Ellis would be the next to have his number retired, but Allan shouldn't worry, his time will come.

Ellis is one of my favorite UT players of all time; I went out of my way last year after the Vandy game to wade through most of the all-century team and meet him.

That being said, there is no scenario that should see his jersey hanging from the rafters in TBA before Houston's. I do believe that both belong, however.

Houston has to be next. Ellis was a great player in his own right, but the school's all-time leading scorer's jersey needs to be in the rafters imo.

That being said, there is no scenario that should see his jersey hanging from the rafters in TBA before Houston's.
I disagree. Team accomplishments matter. Ellis played on an SEC champion and 4 NCAA Tournament teams. Houston's teams sucked with or without him.

Ellis is one of my favorite UT players of all time; I went out of my way last year after the Vandy game to wade through most of the all-century team and meet him.

That being said, there is no scenario that should see his jersey hanging from the rafters in TBA before Houston's. I do believe that both belong, however.

Oh I agree. I thought when Hamilton started all this though they were going to move in chronological order after the Ernie and Bernie inductions, paving the way for Ellis, Houston and then I presume Lofton.

What players currently have their numbers retired?

Didnt they retire King last year when he came to the game??

What players currently have their numbers retired?

Didnt they retire King last year when he came to the game??

They retired King's either Pearl's first or second year. And then Grunfeld the year following King.

I disagree. Team accomplishments matter. Ellis played on an SEC champion and 4 NCAA Tournament teams. Houston's teams sucked with or without him.

Team accomplishments matter, but in a team game, they don't detract from a great player who had no help.

When listing the greatest Volunteer basketball players, I think Houston has to be above Ellis. Actually, I think Houston has to be above everybody save King, although I understand honoring Ernie and Bernie consecutively and don't really have a problem with it.

Team accomplishments matter, but in a team game, they don't detract from a great player who had no help.

When listing the greatest Volunteer basketball players, I think Houston has to be above Ellis. Actually, I think Houston has to be above everybody save King, although I understand honoring Ernie and Bernie consecutively and don't really have a problem with it.
To me, you retire numbers because of the impact a player had on your program. UT could have just as easily been garbage without Houston. In fact, the history of the program tends to indicate they'd have been better without him.

Objective question. Did those of you for Houston's jersey hanging before Ellis ever see Ellis play at UT? He was a complete ballplayer that did some incredible stuff scoring, rebounding and defensively.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Objective question. Did those of you for Houston's jersey hanging before Ellis ever see Ellis play at UT? He was a complete ballplayer that did some incredible stuff scoring, rebounding and defensively.

When I got to see Ellis play, he was wearing a Nuggets or Sonics jersey by then and his game was totally different than his game at UT.

That being said, I am not arguing that one should go before the other, only that both belong.

To me, you retire numbers because of the impact a player had on your program. UT could have just as easily been garbage without Houston. In fact, the history of the program tends to indicate they'd have been better without him.

Seeing as how we hired an absolute disaster of a coach to get him, I concede your point.

However, I think you honor players because of the quality of their play. Houston's was terrific, even if the play of the four guys on the floor with him sucked.

There is always going to be some disagreement about the value of individual accomplishment in a team sport, but the knife cuts both ways. I wouldn't, for instance, advocate anybody's number from the '00 SEC champion team having their number retired.

Yes.

Seeing as how we hired an absolute disaster of a coach to get him, I concede your point.

However, I think you honor players because of the quality of their play. Houston's was terrific, even if the play of the four guys on the floor with him sucked.

There is always going to be some disagreement about the value of individual accomplishment in a team sport, but the knife cuts both ways. I wouldn't, for instance, advocate anybody's number from the '00 SEC champion team having their number retired.

I agree.

Very good, then. I can see where Houston would be preferred. I am in the Ellis camp, but would love to also see Houston and Lofton get up there. Those five (with King and Grunfeld) would then be about the extent of the list to date for me.

As someone who grew up a Knicks fan with Alan Houston's poster on my wall as a child, I always wonder when his 20 will be raised to the rafters when I go to Thompson-Boling Arena

Allan should have his number retired. I don't blame Allan Houston for the fact that his dad was, roughly speaking, the worst head coach in the history of college basketball.

However...the only reason he's UT's all-time leading scorer and not someone else is because he played on such lousy teams. If we're just going by points scored, then we need to retire Tony White's number, too. White scored a lot of points on bad teams. If his last bad team had played just one more game, he probably would have passed Grunfeld.

Dale Ellis should get the honor first. And yes, I saw both of these worthy gentlemen play, and Tony White too.

I'm not into all the retiring Jersey's and naming streets but Dale ellis should have his jersey retired before Houston. IMO..

This debate highlights why it is dumb to retire numbers to begin with.

Don't have a problem with it in basketball. As for football, it still disgusts me that they broke with tradition and retired players' numbers for football performance, when for 50 years the only men to have their numbers retired were the ones who gave their lives in World War II. As I said a few days ago, I've always been disappointed in Doug Atkins and Peyton Manning for going along with this.

VN Store

Back