Thursday - Sat - Tues games

StarRaider

Register & Vote for me
Ron Higgins: Tennessee's Bruce Pearl perplexed by schedule The Commercial Appeal

I checked the composite SEC schedule....

Tenn has two of these 3 game sets (home-home-road; road (LSU)-home(SC)-road (Vandy))

Miss, Ala, Miss St, Fla, Vandy have one set like this.

Kentucky gets/got Mississippi, gets Alabama, gets Miss St at the end of the three game sets.

Tenn plays at Fla at the end of their 3 game set.

Laying the groundwork for an excuse for a probable 4-6 record in the final 10 games ??..Just a thought...

I thought Pearl liked having a couple games close together because he said it makes us more tournament ready? At least, he used to say that about those early season tournaments.

I thought Pearl liked having a couple games close together because he said it makes us more tournament ready? At least, he used to say that about those early season tournaments.
Early season tournaments are held in the same venue as are the NCAA tourney weekends. The complaint stems more from the fact that travel is involved and doesn't allow for the day of rest the day after a game before picking up practice in specific preparation for the next opponent.

Playing @LSU late Thursday means an early Friday morning (2AM) return to Knoxville and with players going to class on Friday, it leaves the dilemma of practice a weary squad to prepare for SC or let them rest and try to implement a game plan Saturday morning. In all, the team will be overly tired or ill prepared come Saturday. Pick your poison.

I'd say he's a little upset since they will be traveling so much. In the tourney, you play 2 games at a time at 1 location. I'm not trying to make an excuse, but if I were a player I'd get a little tired, too having to switch time zones so frequently.

Why doesn't the league play the teams who play on Thursday on Sunday rather than Saturday?

Why doesn't the league play the teams who play on Thursday on Sunday rather than Saturday?
Sunday is reserved for the CBS SEC game of the week (same with ESPN on Tuesdays). They don't care if one of the teams played Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. They just want the game that will make them the most money (the highest rating).

To hell with kids and short schedule. They're young and can take it. Love the hypocrisy of the NCAA when this comes about and they say the players don't deserve a little monthly stipend to have a little fun with... that, however, is for another arguement at another time.

Look at the schedule the Spurs play the next 3 1/2 weeks, then tell me a bunch of college age kids should have a problem playing 3 games in 6 days.

Look at the schedule the Spurs play the next 3 1/2 weeks, then tell me a bunch of college age kids should have a problem playing 3 games in 6 days.

Its not that they should have a problem, its just that they shouldn't have to if no one else is (not sure if they do).

Spurs games in the next 3 1/2 weeks are not as important to their season as our next 3.

Its not that they should have a problem, its just that they shouldn't have to if no one else is (not sure if they do).

Spurs games in the next 3 1/2 weeks are not as important to their season as our next 3.
If UT wants to cry about getting two national ESPN appearances in 6 days, I'm sure there are plenty of other teams in the league who will be glad to fill those openings.

If UT wants to cry about getting two national ESPN appearances in 6 days, I'm sure there are plenty of other teams in the league who will be glad to fill those openings.
The TV exposure is great for the program in the big picture, I am not denying that. I am also not creating a built in excuse for a possible bad stretch. I am well aware of what this team is and is not.

I was just answering a question that was posted. The schedule isn't fair, but neither is life.

If anything, it's good preparation for March. Between conference tourney, and a run deep into the NCAA which everyone is hoping for, the Vols could play as many as 7-8 games in a 16 day stretch. Plus the national exposure is nice, directv hasn't added espnu in HD yet, so i'm glad their on the main network.

I don't think it's too much to expect the league to not have a team playing a Thurs-Sat set have to face an opponent who didn't play a midweek game.

If someone plays on Thursday and then Saturday, the Saturday game should be at home against a team that played a midweek game. That shouldn't be hard to do.

Given our shooting thus far tonight, either we are tired or the rims are 10' 6" in Nashville.

VN Store

Back