Can we now say Billy D got lucky?

BasketVolKid

seriously... the last 3 years his teams play no defense and run around with their heads cutoff on offense.

yesterday... the guy uses up all his timeouts before the last 3 minutes of the game???

did he just get lucky with a good group of guys with horford, bruer, noah and company?

i don't watch every florida game... but over the last 3 years i just don't see what the hell he's trying to do. even bruce pulls a good game plan out of his arse once in a while... and usually once a game comes up with something good out of a timeout. billy d just doesn't seem interested.

seriously... the last 3 years his teams play no defense and run around with their heads cutoff on offense.

yesterday... the guy uses up all his timeouts before the last 3 minutes of the game???

did he just get lucky with a good group of guys with horford, bruer, noah and company?

i don't watch every florida game... but over the last 3 years i just don't see what the hell he's trying to do. even bruce pulls a good game plan out of his arse once in a while... and usually once a game comes up with something good out of a timeout. billy d just doesn't seem interested.

Brewer? :)

Feel free to say it. I have been saying it for a long time now.

The funniest part is reading on the ESPN convo how CBP outcoaches him every time, according to Gator fans... They wonder why Billy won't install that inbounds D, and why their press never works like ours does against them.. It made me think of hat and his dennis miller laugh track clonies. Apparently this blog is the only place in the universe where people think CBP is anything but a great coach.

I say he got talent more than he got lucky. That was a very talented group of players, and some have even carried over to the pros to have decent careers.

Bruce Pearl is the best basketball coach in Tennessee Vols history. He's not perfect but he is one of the best coaches in the country.

Recruiting/ A
Game Plan/ B
Marketing/ A+
Admin/ B+
Heart/ A
Work Ethic/ A
Knowledge/ A

He also coaches for the Vols with alot of class! He has been very loyal!

DON'T HATE ON THE BRUCE

He coached his way to 3 NCAA titles games in the last decade, winning 2 of them. The last one was only 3 years ago.

NO, I would not say he just got lucky.

I wouldn't say that he was lucky quite yet. I could see a team with great talent winning 6 games in the tournament and getting "lucky". But to win back-to-back championships is still remarkable in my books, I don't care who your players are. Everyone knows it gets that much harder to win a second time around. Not to mention the fact that he went to the Title game in 2000, so he's had other success. He's also put quite a few players in the NBA over his career, so he can certainly recruit.

I think these last couple of years have been an anomaly for him, he just struggled to recruit talented players and it shows on the court. But one of the reasons for that is people leaving early, including the unexpected departure of Speights and Calathes.

Bruce Pearl is the best basketball coach in Tennessee Vols history. He's not perfect but he is one of the best coaches in the country.

Recruiting/ A
Game Plan/ B
Marketing/ A+
Admin/ B+
Heart/ A
Work Ethic/ A
Knowledge/ A

DON'T HATE ON THE BRUCE

Ok hat, even this one makes me sick

And its luck I would love to have
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Recruiting/ A
Game Plan/ B
Marketing/ A+
Admin/ B+
Heart/ A
Work Ethic/ A
Knowledge/ A

DON'T HATE ON THE BRUCE

I agree with this assessment, except for Game Plan. Game Plan gets a B- from me. Just my two cents.

The funniest part is reading on the ESPN convo how CBP outcoaches him every time, according to Gator fans... They wonder why Billy won't install that inbounds D, and why their press never works like ours does against them.. It made me think of hat and his dennis miller laugh track clonies. Apparently this blog is the only place in the universe where people think CBP is anything but a great coach.

Sorry, but it's all about March. Regular seasons wins are fantastic and all, but if you don't win the big ones, who cares? I support Bruce and he's one of my favorite coaches and he's put UT on the map again, but can he take it to the next level? We'll see, I'm hopeful.

Recruiting/ A
Game Plan/ B
Marketing/ A+
Admin/ B+
Heart/ A
Work Ethic/ A
Knowledge/ A

DON'T HATE ON THE BRUCE
Amen brotha :eek:k:

Recruiting/ A
Game Plan/ B
Marketing/ A+
Admin/ B+
Heart/ A
Work Ethic/ A
Knowledge/ A

DON'T HATE ON THE BRUCE

That!

Recruiting/ A
Game Plan/ B
Marketing/ A+
Admin/ B+
Heart/ A
Work Ethic/ A
Knowledge/ A

DON'T HATE ON THE BRUCE

My 2 Cents:
Recruiting/ A- Great High Ranking Pick-ups, too many 5* Busts.
Game Plan/ C- No half-court offense at all, Pearl seems like he doesn't know what to do if he can't run and gun.
Marketing/ A+ Best in the business.
Admin/ B Players lack discipline on and off the court.
Heart/ A+ True passion for the game.
Work Ethic/ A- Devotes a lot of time to the program.
Knowledge/ B- Player development under Pearl has been minimal

As for Donovan, I believe he is a good coach, but has not recruited well in the last few years. He desperately needs talent and there is no excuse for not recruiting well at UF with 2 back-to-back championships just a few years ago and a location like Florida.

My 2 Cents:
Recruiting/ A- Great High Ranking Pick-ups, too many 5* Busts. true... this should then be B at best.
Game Plan/ C- No half-court offense at all, Pearl seems like he doesn't know what to do if he can't run and gun.
Marketing/ A+ Best in the business.
Admin/ B Players lack discipline on and off the court. this should be C-.
Heart/ A+ True passion for the game.
Work Ethic/ A- Devotes a lot of time to the program. C-... can you say maccabi games?
Knowledge/ B- Player development under Pearl has been minimal

As for Donovan, I believe he is a good coach, but has not recruited well in the last few years. He desperately needs talent and there is no excuse for not recruiting well at UF with 2 back-to-back championships just a few years ago and a location like Florida.

fixed.

Billy D had one of the best teams in recent memory. 2 Nat'l Championships and several future NBA players. The only way he was lucky was when those guys decided to come back another year. Give him credit the man can coach, but he hasn't had the talent the last few years to do very much. He has had pretty good starters but not a very good bench. Any man that has been a coach in the Nat'l Championship game 3 times and won 2 of them is not lucky, he knows how to win and how to do things the right way. I hate Florida as much as anyone but i respect his coaching abilities. His only problem is that he can't beat us! Go Vols!

granted he hasn't had very many good players the last 3 years but his team has played no defense for 3 years and their offense is pure chaos.

Familiarity breeds contempt.:ermm:

Looks like a 3rd straight NIT for donovan---UF fans will be getting tired of this pretty soon.

Looks like a 3rd straight NIT for donovan---UF fans will be getting tired of this pretty soon.

I think you are jumping the gun a little. Its possible, but with 4, maybe 5, more SEC wins, they are probably in.

Last edited:
IMO, the problem with Donovan has always been that he does not effectively recruit size.

Speaking to a friend of mine about this the other day, I have maintained that Donovan does not try hard enough to get the big men. He recruits too much in his own image, which is guard play. You would think that after the 2 NCAA titles he would realize what wins that tournament, which is front court play. We end up year after year living and dying by the 3. Can't stop anybody. Don't even really try.

My friend says Donovan does recruit them, they are just too rare a commodity and the best end up going to Big East and ACC schools.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Donovan does well with what he has. I mean, look at this team and the lack of athleticism and size. Still, they took you down to the wire this year, despite your superior size and overall talent. A single point on the road to a Top 25 team is not a bad thing.

Billy boy will look back on leaving the Magic at the alter as the biggest mistake of his life.

The biggest surprise to me is the lack of talent he's recruiting. His teams prior to the NCs were loaded with talent - talent that underachieved. Looks like recruiting is a problem.

Regarding BD vs BP - I think it's one of those things were one guy has the other guy's number. In a battle of styles, something about the BP style works against the BD style.

No one is lucky enough to win back to back National Championships. His recruiting has fallen off, but he will be back.

The biggest surprise to me is the lack of talent he's recruiting. His teams prior to the NCs were loaded with talent - talent that underachieved. Looks like recruiting is a problem.

Regarding BD vs BP - I think it's one of those things were one guy has the other guy's number. In a battle of styles, something about the BP style works against the BD style.
Billy D lives and dies by the 3, save that period where he had an incredible combo of players that dictated a consistent winning style. Just so happens that his title teams also had some serious individual toughness that overcame the typical BD softness. UF is one of the few teams that BPs teams can essentially out-tough.

BD is never going to be accused of winning more with less.

VN Store

Back