The Section 103 Postgame Report.

hatvol96

1. That's what it sounds like when 20,000 people collectively exhale. If Tyus' shot goes down, so does Tennessee's season.
2. That game was as aestheically pleasing as a bikini contest between Queen Elizabeth and Aretha Franklin. It made the Knicks-Pistons '92 playoff gorefest look like Swan Lake.
3. Scotty Hopson taking Tennessee's last shot without hesitation represents major progress. If you're going to be an impact player, that's a shot you have to want to take.
4. Your best players have to make plays at the end of games. Chism and Hopson did exactly that on UT's final possessions.
5. Doug Moe once told me "You can hide your team's pimples for a little while, but eventually the makeup starts to run." Tennessee and Florida are both proof that assessement is accurate.
6. It's time to realize Billy Donovan is going to be the Richard Marx of coaching. A couple of big hits, followed by a long stay in Irrelevantville.
7. Florida is a medicore team. They will be able to thank Michigan State's injuries and a slop 70 footer for their inclusion in the bracket on Selection Sunday.
8. Einstein the Parrot, followed by the dance team doing a routine to a Miley Cyrus song. If they have halftime shows in Hell, I'm pretty sure they look a whole lot like that atrocity.
9. The crowd was a pleasant surprise. Not the most enthusiastic bunch, but the awful quality of play had something to do with that.
10. Ohio State is going to make serious noise in the NCAA Tournament. The light has come on for Matta's bunch.

We played well for about 6 total minutes. If we ever decide that we can play inside, "which we can", we have hope. A good win against a solid opponent.

As soon as I heard the announcer say "Einstein the Parrot", I looked over to Section 103 expecting to see Hat's head explode.

Really happy for the win. You have to win some games ugly. Prince's bonehead plays and the whole team's inability to make free throws will doom us in future games. Chism was outstanding down the stretch.

1. That's what it sounds like when 20,000 people collectively exhale. If Tyus' shot goes down, so does Tennessee's season.
2. That game was as aestheically pleasing as a bikini contest between Queen Elizabeth and Aretha Franklin. It made the Knicks-Pistons '92 playoff gorefest look like Swan Lake.
3. Scotty Hopson taking Tennessee's last shot without hesitation represents major progress. If you're going to be an impact player, that's a shot you have to want to take.
4. Your best players have to make plays at the end of games. Chism and Hopson did exactly that on UT's final possessions.
5. Doug Moe once told me "You can hide your team's pimples for a little while, but eventually the makeup starts to run." Tennessee and Florida are both proof that assessement is accurate.
6. It's time to realize Billy Donovan is going to be the Richard Marx of coaching. A couple of big hits, followed by a long stay in Irrelevantville.
7. Florida is a medicore team. They will be able to thank Michigan State's injuries and a slop 70 footer for their inclusion in the bracket on Selection Sunday.
8. Einstein the Parrot, followed by the dance team doing a routine to a Miley Cyrus song. If they have halftime shows in Hell, I'm pretty sure they look a whole lot like that atrocity.9. The crowd was a pleasant surprise. Not the most enthusiastic bunch, but the awful quality of play had something to do with that.
10. Ohio State is going to make serious noise in the NCAA Tournament. The light has come on for Matta's bunch.

:lolabove:

As soon as I heard the announcer say "Einstein the Parrot", I looked over to Section 103 expecting to see Hat's head explode.
I am convinced they are trying to make these haltime shows as absurdly awful as possible. The only way that silliness could have been salvaged would have been for the Davey Crockett guy to shoot the parrot and its handler.

Only thing was, it was a "dumb" shot, not a high percentage one.

hatvol96 said:
8. Einstein the Parrot, followed by the dance team doing a routine to a Miley Cyrus song. If they have halftime shows in Hell, I'm pretty sure they look a whole lot like that atrocity.

We really have hit the bottom of the barrel. I can maybe see that for a Tuesday night December game against UNC-Asheville, but a weekend game against Florida? They're not even trying now.

I saw it like the beauty of an abstract painting! It wasn't out front for everyone to see, but I saw it none the less. The most important thing I saw was them going to Chism early and Chism posting up effectively. The only problem was he wasn't finishing, which outside of a couple of forced shots looked like some unlucky roles and Florida not being called for contact below the waist. The second thing was improved PG depth with and decision making. The third was the variety of defenses they ran and confused Florida in the second half. Lastly, Scotty and Skylar shooting with more confidence.

Looked to me like he recognized they were going to sag down on Chism, daring an outside shot.

Only thing was, it was a "dumb" shot, not a high percentage one.
Not really. That's a shot good players take and make with regularity. Da'Sean Butler has won two games for West Virginia this year with pretty much that exact shot. Scotty Reynolds has a career full of those.

I am convinced they are trying to make these haltime shows as absurdly awful as possible. The only way that silliness could have been salvaged would have been for the Davey Crockett guy to shoot the parrot and its handler.
Now that would've been something to see.

That game was as aestheically pleasing as a bikini contest between Queen Elizabeth and Aretha Franklin.

Didn't need that image floating around in my head...

Not really. That's a shot good players take and make with regularity.

In that situation, I think our first option is to feed Chism in the post and see if he can score or draw a foul. A Hopson jumper is lower percentage. Plus, Florida had a lot of time left and could have hit a game winner.

Not really. That's a shot good players take and make with regularity. Da'Sean Butler has won two games for West Virginia this year with pretty much that exact shot. Scotty Reynolds has a career full of those.

While I agree that it is good to see Scotty Hopson taking confident shots. Taking that shot with that much time left on the clock - is that ideal?

Hopson with another 4 for 15 ish performance. But he made it when it counts.

While I agree that it is good to see Scotty Hopson taking confident shots. Taking that shot with that much time left on the clock - is that ideal?

Hopson with another 4 for 15 ish performance. But he made it when it counts.

I think you do want to get off a shot with some time left. Leaves time for a rebound or a foul. Take it with no time left and it's do or die time

9. The crowd was a pleasant surprise. Not the most enthusiastic bunch, but the awful quality of play had something to do with that.

I agree with your Number 7.

But I pause to ask this question. If 1, 5, and 7 are all true, then doesn't that by definition also mean that Tennessee is also medicore and doomed to an early March exit?

But I pause to ask this question. If 1, 5, and 7 are all true, then doesn't that by definition also mean that Tennessee is also medicore and doomed to an early March exit?

There are not many around here that will argue with that statement.

Where have I implied they aren't?

Hatvol, I've complained about some of your posts in the past so it's only right I tell you the above and your list were great! Made me laugh out loud! Go Vols!!!

VN Store

Back