Rank Bruce Pearl as a basketball coach.

MikeHamiltonFan

I understand the arguments that he is overpaid on here so what I am wondering is who people think should be here who would be more fun to watch, would generate excitement, would have good national profile and recruiting for a non traditional basketball power etc.

I would be interested in hearing where Hat thinks he stacks up in the SEC. Billy D has two NCs but he then promptly dropped off the face in a way that Bruce Pearl has not for his whole career.

Who is better than Bruce Pearl as a HC in the SEC?

What about the Big 10? The ACC? Who is a better coach than Bruce Pearl?

Personally there are not that many coaches I would prefer in that I hate slowed down basketball with intentional desires to limit the number of possessions. I am praying we get a good PG finally so we can press effectively, but I do not want to watch Wisconsin style basketball ever again. O'Neill sucked even on nights when we won.

By the way, N.C. State and Clemson both looked horrifically coached in their games in the Big 10 challenge and if Bruce Pearl did with the talent he had what GT's coach has done in the last few years he would be hated by more than just 5 posters here. Paul Hewitt has 1 good year (2004) surrounded by years of great talent and horrible results.

I am not saying Bruce Pearl is the best coach in the SEC BTW, I am asking others who they think is better, and who they think is worse. Some people seem to think Final 4 is everything, and they may put Hewitt above Pearl. I would rather have consistent success than 1 good year every decade.

If I understand you correctly, you would prefer a decade of Sweet 16 exits over 9 years of 1st round exits and a NC; correct?

No, I said that Bruce will have disappointed me if we do not get at least an Elite 8 this year. Hewitt lost to UConn he did not get a NC.

He also did not have 9 years of 1st round exits, he missed the tournament multiple times. Lets not talk about the talent disparity (Hewitt has squandered multiple players whose ability Pearl has never had) lets pretend they had equal talent. Paul Hewitt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would rather have 9 years of some Sweet 16s, an Elite 8 or two, some first round flameouts than 1 NC game appearance and lots of years where you do not make the tournament and have no relevance in March.

Why even make a BB thread?

You will only get Hat and his disciples on here, they will rip Pearl and that will be that.

I love what Pearl has done for UT basketball and love the energy he brings to the players and fans. There will always be haters no matter what. Forget them, I'm having a good time watching these guys play and I can tell they all enjoy themselves too. Oh yeah, we're also consistently in the Top25, and when is the last time you could say that about UT basketball (or football now haha)

For the sake of debate, it sure would interesting to see at least a top 3.

Caveat- Consider our lack of tradition and/or football school status, I think it's an interesting exercise.

1. Miller from Butler (Horizon conference)
2. Few from Gonzaga (10 years does not a tradition make)
3. Matta from Ohio State (probably my biggest reach)

Did you happen to watch Wednesday's game? Its becoming more and more obvious that he cannot develop talent. It is what is...if he can bring in guys like Harris consistently.

Why on Earth would anyone with any sense stick with this spread/flex offense that he runs? Its one thing if you've got the guys to run, but Pearl does not. I can sit in the stands and tell you that the offense will never be more that a defensive rest until guys start moving off-ball.

Sorry...I'm just not seeing his greatness.

In SEC play I don't believe I have seen Pearl consistently be outcoached. He has beaten very talented Florida teams that won 2 NC's despite being overmatched at every position. I would say that has a great deal to do with his coaching ability.

Beav thanks for throwing out some names. What about in the SEC? Do you think Pearl is top 3-4? That is the level where he is paid. Do you think Pearl is better or worse than the coaches I mentioned in the ACC?

Top Salaries for Basketball Coaches

College Basketball's Bargains and Busts - WSJ.com

By the way, the guy is not in a great position to leave to go anywhere else, but Jim Boeheim seems to be the most underpaid coach in college basketball.

Also when you factor in salary, make sure to figure in the fact that TN is top 5 in tickets sold every year under Pearl.

In SEC play I don't believe I have seen Pearl consistently be outcoached. He has beaten very talented Florida teams that won 2 NC's despite being overmatched at every position. I would say that has a great deal to do with his coaching ability.

What do disappointing losses (i.e., last year at Auburn, SECCG, early NCAA Tourney exits) and inability to develop talent say about his coaching ability?

Based on their overall records,
Little Billy would be #1---no one else has won a National championship
Cal #2
Pearl #3

Losses like that are to be expected in college basketball. Not saying there is an excuse to lose to Auburn but when other schools (north carolina lost to maryland and boston college last year, then FSU in conf. tourney) no one was calling for Roy Williams job. I think given the previous state of mens basketball at UT people just need to calm down and be grateful for how far Bruce has take the program instead of complaining about a few bad losses.

did not want to get in another basketball argument with VolDad but I would take Pearl in his four years over the last 20 years combined....

at least we made it farther in the tourney than any other team in Vols history.

did not want to get in another basketball argument with VolDad but I would take Pearl in his four years over the last 20 years combined....

at least we made it farther in the tourney than any other team in Vols history.

Word.

Based on their overall records,
Little Billy would be #1---no one else has won a National championship
Cal #2
Pearl #3

I think this is fair. Billy D is the most puzzling guy to me in college basketball unless basically he got lazy. I think that level of self satisfaction and lack of hunger and fire happened to Fulmer and I think it may have happened to Billy D. Having a couple bad years and having people kick him around a little bit may have gotten him back awake which is bad for us. He was Pearl's nemesis when he took the job and Pearl put more emphasis on the games against UF than Billy did and Pearl won with less talent. Now Pearl and Billy are both struggling to keep up with Cal. If Pearl and Billy and Cal keep recruiting the way they did this year and they stay in their programs (all of which I think is likely) then in the next decade you will see those 3 teams regularly advancing a good bit in the tournament, making deep runs. TN loses lots of seniors and so may follow up an Elite 8 season with one that is less than a Sweet 16 run, but no matter who they lose, all 3 programs should be consistently in the top 25 as long as those coaches stay.

Vol Dad, disappointing losses? Really in college basketball? You seem very reasonable when you talked about basketball IQ on the other thread, so I will just remind you that every coach has those in college basketball no matter how excellent they are. Does Izzo suck now because of their disappointing losses?

What do disappointing losses (i.e., last year at Auburn, SECCG, early NCAA Tourney exits) and inability to develop talent say about his coaching ability?

sorry, but the last time i checked knoxville wasn't the basketball mecha everyone on here seems to think it is.

roy williams and bill self arent knocking down doors to coach here. be happy with what we have... wade houston and jerry green CBP is not

Losses like that are to be expected in college basketball. Not saying there is an excuse to lose to Auburn but when other schools (north carolina lost to maryland and boston college last year, then FSU in conf. tourney) no one was calling for Roy Williams job. I think given the previous state of mens basketball at UT people just need to calm down and be grateful for how far Bruce has take the program instead of complaining about a few bad losses.

It is my understanding that “in the previous state of UT basketball” we were not paying for final four results like we are now. Am I wrong?

So, if we were not paying for final four results in the past, then we were getting what we paid for.

If we are not getting final four results now then we are not getting what we pay for.

The continuing theme that I take from reading thread after thread, is this:

"Were never going to be great, and thats alright. I'm just glad we don't suck anymore."

Why bother?

.... Vol Dad, disappointing losses? Really in college basketball? You seem very reasonable when you talked about basketball IQ on the other thread, so I will just remind you that every coach has those in college basketball no matter how excellent they are. Does Izzo suck now because of their disappointing losses?

I am sorry but with everything we had riding on that game, and how horribly Auburn played, there is no excuse for the Auburn loss last year.

Then with the pizz poor performance we had at the end of the SECCG, and to duplicate it in the Tourney loss, also no excuse.

VN Store

Back