The Section 103 Postgame Report

hatvol96

1. If you didn't enjoy the first 40 minutes, you don't like college basketball. There won't be many games more entertaining this regular season.
2. I can't imagine being a WCC coach. Those officials were utterly wretched. Ted Valentine and Bruce Benedict need to work that league.
3. Gee, where are all the folks to tell me how wrong I've been about JP Prince? Matt Bouldin showed everyone watching tonight what JPuke is all about.
4. I hope this series continues. It is obvious they just don't like each other.
5. Can we stop with all the talk about what a huge upgrade Bobby Maze is? His play tonight indicates he's regressing as fast as Ramar did.
6. Steve Forbes is a "defensive tactician" in the same way Hugo Chavez is a "humanitarian."
7. Kudos, Wayne Chism. Bring that game every night and I'll enjoy watching you in the NBA.
8. Holding Pargo to 6 and losing indicates how bad our overall defense really is. At any given point, at least two guys are open for good shots.
9. Tyler Smith will be sorely missed. He attacks the way a player should.
10. This team had better toughen up before next Tuesday. Meeks and Patterson are salivating.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

what i think is the stat of the game:

Bobby Maze: 0 assists, 0 turnovers...not being nearly aggressive enough.

For as good as Chism is playing, he's still good for a "WTF?" play or two every game. I'd say my favorite from tonight's game was when he was running back down the court, he ran into the guy (I forget who, Maze probably?) and forced a turnover by knocking the ball out with his knee.

hat do you really think there is a spot in the NBA for someone who makes a handful of threes yet shoots about 3-5 per game that he has no business shooting and is afraid to go down low offensively? If you say yes to both of those reasons, can he play enough D in the league to play there?

according to Pearl, Prince still isn't 100%. the fact he got lit up like he did was inexcusable regardless. i'm not sure why they went away from Tatum. he passed on a lot shots i though he could have taken.

best environment i've ever witnessed at TBA. i came into a ticket about 45 minutes before game time and i'm glad i went.

according to Pearl, Prince still isn't 100%. the fact he got lit up like he did was inexcusable regardless. i'm not sure why they went away from Tatum. he passed on a lot shots i though he could have taken.

best environment i've ever witnessed at TBA. i came into a ticket about 45 minutes before game time and i'm glad i went.
Heard that as well, but thought "Does it really make a difference? Really?"

Prince does not need to shoot 3s. i don't care if he's wide open shooting at a hoola hoop. i also couldn't believe the number of shots everybody missed around the basket. that fact plus the Zags inability to make a FT in the first half made for a close game.

hat do you really think there is a spot in the NBA for someone who makes a handful of threes yet shoots about 3-5 per game that he has no business shooting and is afraid to go down low offensively? If you say yes to both of those reasons, can he play enough D in the league to play there?
Wayne will be a 15 minute a night guy. Also, ask Josh Heytvelt how afraid Wayne is to come inside offensively. That big stiff could feel his NBA stock dropping each time Chism put his elbow into his throat and scored.

i am absolutely impressed with tyler smith's will to win. mark few's offense is always fun to watch. i agree that these two teams have no love for one another and that adds to the entertainment. even with the loss and our defense, this game was fun to watch.

Nice analysis, as always, Hat. The game was a lot of fun, save overtime, and the crowd was huge and fairly active. Not Florida or Kentucky active, but not too shabby for UT.

The big factor: threes. We were 1-for-18, exculding Tatum. When Woolridge, Chism, and JP are jacking the long-ball, we're doomed. Without a constant perimeter threat, we are just simply not a very good offensive team. Our opponents can play tight inside and collapse down on Tyler, as we saw for most of the first half. We absolutely MUST find a way to get him involved early and often. Also, it keeps our high-flyers from being able to slash, which is where they can make hay.

In JP's defense, he is said to still be suffering from the flu. We'll all hope that's not just an excuse.

Bobby Maze, errrr. . . .I don't really have an explanation for why he looked so mediocre. Hopefully, just an off-night.

All in all, we do not look like a very good basketball team right now. I know we are playing better competition now, but we actually looked like we had more chemistry at the start of the season, which is worrisome.

Oh, and the officials were terrible, both ways. Bad calls, missed possession calls, and too many "make up" calls. Lousy, all the way around.

Hat, could you tell what Few said, when Tyler was down and the crowd jumped all over him?

Tonight was the best atmosphere I've seen/heard at TBA this year. The only disturbing part was the people leaving before the end of regulation and before 2min remaining in OT. Why do you pay the money to go to the game if you are not going to see who wins?

I just want to know what in the world happened to the team that played UTC. We have regressed at a near impossible grade.

I will never understand why JP Prince starts, or even plays significant minutes.... he really doesn't do anything well.

I just want to know what in the world happened to the team that played UTC. We have regressed at a near impossible grade.
You can't play a 4-9 team with wins over the likes of Tennessee Temple and Tennessee Wesleyan every night...

Hat, could you tell what Few said, when Tyler was down and the crowd jumped all over him?

Tonight was the best atmosphere I've seen/heard at TBA this year. The only disturbing part was the people leaving before the end of regulation and before 2min remaining in OT. Why do you pay the money to go to the game if you are not going to see who wins?
I'm down behind the UT bench, so I don't know what happened. I do know the crowd across the floor from the Gonzaga bench was frothing at the mouth.

UTC is disgracefully bad. St. Bonaventure would look good playing them.

Very good points by all! At least BP admitted in post game he screwed up the rotations and subs the last 9 minutes of the game by trimming the lineup. We didn't have anything left in the tank. It was a tough loss, but keep in mind, we were still playing a team with 4 seniors!!!! We're just not experienced enough across the board to win a game like this.

The best thing for all of these guys, especially all of the freshman, is to take their lumps now!!! This team has no where to go but up!!!!

Very good points by all! At least BP admitted in post game he screwed up the rotations and subs the last 9 minutes of the game by trimming the lineup. We didn't have anything left in the tank. It was a tough loss, but keep in mind, we were still playing a team with 4 seniors!!!! We're just not experienced enough across the board to win a game like this.

The best thing for all of these guys, especially all of the freshman, is to take their lumps now!!! This team has no where to go but up!!!!

I enjoyed reading your optimism. I'm ready for the drive to Athens.

I'm down behind the UT bench, so I don't know what happened. I do know the crowd across the floor from the Gonzaga bench was frothing at the mouth.

From section 319, we came to the assumption that Few was calling for Tyler to be off the floor. If you happen to find out what was said, I'll ask if you would post or send me a PM. Thanks

Two more questions and this goes out to everyone. Are we going to see Pearl go to a 6-7 rotation and why doesn't Negedu get more minutes? He might be raw, but the kid hustles and might be one of the better defenders, if he gets the chance.

From section 319, we came to the assumption that Few was calling for Tyler to be off the floor. If you happen to find out what was said, I'll ask if you would post or send me a PM. Thanks

Two more questions and this goes out to everyone. Are we going to see Pearl go to a 6-7 rotation and why doesn't Negedu get more minutes? He might be raw, but the kid hustles and might be one of the better defenders, if he gets the chance.

I'm rather perplexed by Negedu not getting more time as well....He seems like the perfect replacement for Crews, but maybe he just needs a little more time. I believe what is really hurting this team RIGHT NOW is not having Daniel West to provide bona fide PG play along with Maze. BM hasn't exactly been an assist machine of late.

After the way he hustled and defended in the first half, it was a crime he didn't play more. I guess Bruce felt the need to leave his adopted son JP on the floor.

VN Store

Back