Huggins Shows Interest

TroyCG

Russo says that there are reports that Bob Huggins wants out of Cincinnati and is interested in the UT job.

Yeah, all we need is this degenerate coming to the area. Guess we no longer value education when it comes to men's b-ball. Get the checkbook ready come recruit time.

Originally posted by TroyCG@Mar 22, 2005 11:34 PM
Russo says that there are reports that Bob Huggins wants out of Cincinnati and is interested in the UT job.

Not good. Not good.

Don't worry he's not on UT's list.

Although UT will now interview Dana Altman - Creighton

Yeah, all we need is this degenerate coming to the area. Guess we no longer value education when it comes to men's b-ball. Get the checkbook ready come recruit time.

So let me get this straight. Bob Huggins, who is coming from a school which according to the preliminary NCAA academic standards is passing, will cause Tennessee, which was failing, to no longer value education? Is that about right? Did I miss something? Also, to my knowledge, a Huggins program has "never" been on probation. We did sign Damon Flint, because Ohio State bought him a Big Mac illegally(no joke). If you dislike Bob Huggins, there are plenty of reasons to dislike him. There is no need to make stuff up. The reason his grad rates were so low during the late 90's was because of players going to the NBA or the European Leagues. That usually doesn't happen for schools who win less than half their games.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tennessee. I have been a big Tennessee fan since I saw my first Tennessee football game in 1982. I haven't missed a home game since about 1990. That is why I chose TN for Grad School. I wish Buzz was still the coach. Since he is not, I want a coach that will run a clean program, and WIN. I would like to see Bob Huggins or Bobby Knight come to Tennessee. Bob has a strong work ethic. He had a heart attack, and two weeks later he was back coaching. Thank God he didn't bet on baseball. sheeesh

BTW did Russo say what/who was the source of the reports?

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
John Adams

Originally posted by VolFantotheBone@Mar 23, 2005 5:51 AM
Since he is not, I want a coach that will run a clean program, and WIN. I would like to see Bob Huggins or Bobby Knight come to Tennessee.

:dlol:

The day Bob Huggins runs a clean program is the day hell freezes over. You can twist graduation numbers any way you want and it's clear he's failing. He'll cry you a river at the way those numbers are computed, but surprisingly, other schools still manage to "graduate" kids even under the "absurd" methods the NCAA uses. I really wish you could talk to someone that has been recruited by Huggins. It would probably open your eyes to what a corrupt individual this man is. He's a cancer to college b-ball and buys himself a team each year. We don't need that.

Originally posted by DrRosenRosen+Mar 23, 2005 9:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrRosenRosen @ Mar 23, 2005 9:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-VolFantotheBone@Mar 23, 2005 5:51 AM
Since he is not, I want a coach that will run a clean program, and WIN.  I would like to see Bob Huggins or Bobby Knight come to Tennessee.

:dlol:

The day Bob Huggins runs a clean program is the day hell freezes over. You can twist graduation numbers any way you want and it&#39;s clear he&#39;s failing. He&#39;ll cry you a river at the way those numbers are computed, but surprisingly, other schools still manage to "graduate" kids even under the "absurd" methods the NCAA uses. I really wish you could talk to someone that has been recruited by Huggins. It would probably open your eyes to what a corrupt individual this man is. He&#39;s a cancer to college b-ball and buys himself a team each year. We don&#39;t need that. [/quote]
Good to see that our fan base buys the silliness that the media heaps on every coach that doesn&#39;t bow before them. As someone who spends considerable time in Cincinnati, I am confident that if one talks to Anthony Buford, Darnell Burton, or almost any former Bearcat, they will all back Huggins. If his former players hate him so much, why do so many of them stay in Cincinnati after their playing days are over?

I&#39;m sure you&#39;d be loyal to the guy that paid you to go to college and was able to slip you past any rules and regulations that might have otherwise kept you away from college.

Huggins as a person might be fine. I&#39;ve never met him. He runs a corrupt program. He wont be leaving Cincy any time soon, because frankly, I doubt any other school would let him get away with some of the stuff he does.

The main reason I find any talk of Huggins coming to UT to be pure speculation is the shoe and apparel deal he has ay UC. Huggins is one of the headline coaches in the Nike/Jordan stable. I don&#39;t see him jumping ship to a school with an Adidas affiliation. Also, as evidenced by Dr.Rosen and other posters&#39; opinions, he would be a divisive choice.

You know what I want to see. An article sayin that Bob Huggins Payed off one of his players in his stint there. Last time I checked there isn&#39;t.

And oh by the way, he was in the ncaa tournament this year whle we were on this board praying we get a good coach.

Yeah, cause if you can&#39;t find an article, it didn&#39;t happen. Bonds isn&#39;t on Roids either.

I mean this is the first time I hav EVER heard Bob Huggins runs a bad program. Sure his gradutaion rate is low, but who cares. I have never heard one thing about him paying off players. I&#39;m sure if he was there would be an article about it just like there is an article about speculation of barry bonds taking steroids. If you say he pays off players, then prove it. If you can&#39;t, then freaking don&#39;t say it.

Can I prove it? No. That&#39;s fairly irrelavent, though. Can you prove Bonds is on roids? No, but that doesn&#39;t stop anyone from commenting on it.

Maybe he has cleaned up his act. Maybe, but I doubt it. It&#39;s probably just better hidden now.

Who really cares. Pointless argument and neither of us is going to "win." Agree to disagree here. Not looking for a fight. If you believe he runs a clean program then I&#39;ll say you&#39;re in the minority on that one. But, that&#39;s your choice and you&#39;re more than welcome to make that choice.

Why even bring a man like this to UT? Maybe he did, maybe he didn&#39;t. I can round up a ton of folks that think he&#39;s a corrupt bastard. I&#39;m sure you can round up folks that think he&#39;s a great coach that maybe has one too many at the bar some nights. Why not avoid that altogehter and get someone that isn&#39;t clouded in controversy whether or not it&#39;s true or false? UT just needs to go in another direction. Not like Huggins can win the big games anyway.

I think Huggins runs a fairly clean program. I&#39;ve been around him a little bit and I find him to be a straightforward man. Admittedly, some of his players have run afoul of the law. That comes with the territory when you coach at a major urban university, because the mission of places like UC is to give chances to students that "ivory tower" schools won&#39;t consider bringing on campus. That said, I don&#39;t think Huggins and UT would be a successful partnership. I tend to think that someone like Dana Altman may be the type of coach that will gain approval across the diverse factions of Vol Nation. I would love to see Knight or Huggins here, but I think too many Vol fans lack the stomach for any coach who is remotely controversial.

No flaming please, but accusing Bob Huggins of running a dirty program without proof is no different than all the accusations Bama hurls at us every time a thought hits their brain cells

Originally posted by 9296potsguy@Mar 23, 2005 4:05 PM
No flaming please, but accusing Bob Huggins of running a dirty program without proof is no different than all the accusations Bama hurls at us every time a thought hits their brain cells

Excellent point.

Can I prove it? No. That&#39;s fairly irrelavent, though. Can you prove Bonds is on roids? No, but that doesn&#39;t stop anyone from commenting on it.

Thanks Rosen, I was afraid I wouldn&#39;t read anything stupid today, but you came through in good fashion. Some proof of your allegations is all I ask. Otherwise, I think you would fit in quite well with all of our bamma friends. I suspect they could use a guy like you.

As a few people have stated, I don&#39;t think Huggins would come to Tennessee. If he said he was interested, I think it maybe for leverage on his contract. I would actually like to see some of these reports and articles that claim he is interested. The only thing I have seen is people saying so but hearing it second or third hand.

It was certainly interesting reading the comments in this thread. Wonder how people feel about this now?

I was imagining this showing up in the basketball forum. Sorry, guys. Mods, if you don't care, move this thread.

I doubt any opinions have changed. You either like Huggins or not - he's a polarizing coach. Besides, he's not leaving WV. Ever.

Agreed. No way he walks away from Michael Beasly and the number 1 class to go to a school that he would leave for Tennessee a few years later.

It's his alma mater, right?

He was interested in UT when we hired Pearl. However, we didn't want him as we wanted someone of high integrity who would never embarrass the university or violate any NCAA rules.

He was interested in UT when we hired Pearl. However, we didn't want him as we wanted someone of high integrity who would never embarrass the university or violate any NCAA rules.

Can someone who is a beter searcher than me pull up hat's initial reponse and thread to Pearl being hired? I think that would be quality reading.

VN Store

Back