Anyone been watching Jarnell Stokes in the NBA Summer league?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I caught a little of his game tonight against the Hawks.

He finished with 6 points on 3-5 FGA and grabbed 3 rebounds in 12 minutes.

Reactions: 3 people
I caught a little of his game tonight against the Hawks.

He finished with 6 points on 3-5 FGA and grabbed 3 rebounds in 12 minutes.

He seems to be doing well, but they sure are limiting his minutes. I'd love to see him make it, but it's going to be tough.

He seems to be doing well, but they sure are limiting his minutes. I'd love to see him make it, but it's going to be tough.

When he was drafted by Memphis, his role was to be the next Zack Randolph. Rebounder and scorer off the rim.
I thought that his playing time would increase slowly, but he only lasted a season in Memphis.
He has to show the NBA something or he will soon be out of a job. New talent comes in every off season and if he doesn't impress people, he will be yesterdays news.

When he was drafted by Memphis, his role was to be the next Zack Randolph. Rebounder and scorer off the rim.
I thought that his playing time would increase slowly, but he only lasted a season in Memphis.
He has to show the NBA something or he will soon be out of a job. New talent comes in every off season and if he doesn't impress people, he will be yesterdays news.

The reason why he lasted only a season in Memphis was because most of the basketball people there were against Stokes (Nikola Jokic was the guy) but they got overruled by Wallace/ownership.

Reason 999,999 to fire Wallace....

In another era, Stokes would have had a good shot to have more meaningful NBA career. Doesnt have range, length, or jumping ability to be a #5 today in NBA.

The reason why he lasted only a season in Memphis was because most of the basketball people there were against Stokes (Nikola Jokic was the guy) but they got overruled by Wallace/ownership.

Reason 999,999 to fire Wallace....

In another era, Stokes would have had a good shot to have more meaningful NBA career. Doesnt have range, length, or jumping ability to be a #5 today in NBA.

I think we're way beyond that number

Reactions: 1 person
the reason Jarnell Stokes won't make it in the NBA is that he is the same weight as Lebron James and 1 inch shorter. We thought he was a huge dude when he was here, but the NBA is full of huge dudes who can run like deer and jump like grasshoppers. He is too slow and not enough burst.

Reactions: 2 people
Can't guard well enough on the switch or shoot the three well enough for today's game.

While this is a sample size, he hit a three the other night, and has done pretty good on switches. I might be making a highlight clip of his summer league plays if I can find the full games

While this is a sample size, he hit a three the other night, and has done pretty good on switches. I might be making a highlight clip of his summer league plays if I can find the full games

If his playing time doesn’t go up, I doubt the best mixtape in the world would make a difference.

6 minutes lol . I mean, seriously? If he played 20 minutes he would lead them in scoring and be top 3 rebounding. It’s hard to impress if you’re not given the opportunity to do so.

They have big rosters in this league. I don't see how everyone can get a fair chance. Was unaware of Stokes location. Definitely will try to watch.

6 minutes lol . I mean, seriously? If he played 20 minutes he would lead them in scoring and be top 3 rebounding. It’s hard to impress if you’re not given the opportunity to do so.

Pro teams play guys they have money invested in. No one has money invested in Stokes. He's an insurance policy now for teams that need a player after an injury or suspension. I wish him well but its a business.

the reason Jarnell Stokes won't make it in the NBA is that he is the same weight as Lebron James and 1 inch shorter. We thought he was a huge dude when he was here, but the NBA is full of huge dudes who can run like deer and jump like grasshoppers. He is too slow and not enough burst.

Winner winner. Too short. Too slow. Not enough range.

I don't remember us ever thinking he was huge. I remember openly saying he would have a difficult time in the NBA because of his height unless he vastly improved his outside game. He was good here because most teams only have one elite post player, and even then they usually aren't elite post defenders, and his size allowed him to make up for his lack of height in getting rebounds. At the NBA level the shortest posts are three inches taller than him, and the ones who aren't are far more athletic or better skill players.

He never really had a chance in the league without skill improvement, the fact he was drafted so high was a shock to begin with really.

I agree.

I think its going to be really tough for him to make it. I wish him the best. He sure was fun to watch while he was here.

I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to pro basketball, but wouldn't it be more advantageous for both his career and bank account to go play overseas?

I get chasing the dream, but at some point you've gotta see the writing on the wall.

VN Store

Back