Grant Williams rated the No. 11 returning player by Andy Katz

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Great to see Grant getting some off season hype.

[twitter]1014204532111228928[/twitter]

Reactions: 3 people
Congrats, Grant Williams!

He definitely deserves each honor and recognition he's had and that he'll continue to get as he always works hard and contributes to team success even when it appears to go unnoticed sometimes.

That's probably what's most impressive to me, how humble and patient he is.

He's more mature than a lot of players would be in his position and it should pay off for him soon enough. After a crazy successful season this past year, this upcoming season should be a dream season for the Vols.

After that, Admiral Schofield will go to the league and with a good season under his belt, before you know it, Mr. Williams will be there too. It's refreshing when your favorite team has players with a good head on their shoulders like the Tennessee squad, because they model a good example of how things should be done. All the hard work will pay off in due time and because he owns it, it's something that will serve him the rest of his life.

Good to see Grant Williams getting props. Great player. Excited to see if this team can improve and have a memorable season this year.

Reactions: 1 person
Awesome news...great to have such a complete player on our team in terms of both athletic ability and leadership integrity! If reports are accurate that he was limited by injury late last season but has regained his strength then we may be in for a very special season.

I think Schofield will have a bigger impact. Grant has got to improve his conditioning and work on post moves.

I think Schofield will have a bigger impact. Grant has got to improve his conditioning and work on post moves.

I’d actually say the opposite. Grant’s conditioning is a major strength, he’s led the team in minutes per game in back-to-back seasons. You don’t see that very often from post players.

Admiral has a lot more untapped potential and needs to work on his consistency. He can’t have games like he did last year against NC State where he finished with 0 points in 22 minutes. Additionally, 4 out of the 7 games he scored 20 or more points were in our final 8 games of the season. He also fouled out 5 times, which can’t happen to a backcourt player.

Two different things.
exactly so. Williams won't be a high draft pick because of size. But, at the collegiate level, he is likely rated as a better/more impactful player for his team.

Scofield has a wings body (6'5" 240). Which is great since he is a wing.

Williams has wings body (6'5" 240) but plays power forward/post. he is very generously listed at 6'7 on some sites though..

its kinda funny because in picturers where i've seen them side by side Admiral is same size as Grant.

vanderbilt-tennessee-basketball-knoxville-usa-shutterstock-editorial-9332751w.jpg

Last edited:
exactly so. Williams won't be a high draft pick because of size. But, at the collegiate level, he is likely rated as a better/more impactful player for his team.

Scofield has a wings body (6'5" 240). Which is great since he is a wing.

Williams has wings body (6'5" 240) but plays power forward/post. he is very generously listed at 6'7 on some sites though..

its kinda funny because in picturers where i've seen them side by side Admiral is same size as Grant.

vanderbilt-tennessee-basketball-knoxville-usa-shutterstock-editorial-9332751w.jpg

Grant Williams is 6'7". Your image is not accurate because they aren't side by side.

I have stood next to Grant and I am 6'6 and he was slightly taller than me. (Unless his shoes were just much taller than mine)

Grant is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches taller.

I think we'll see an expanded game out of Grant this year as he steps out to the high post/free throw area and consistently hit the Karl Malone jumper.

Last edited:
Mark Agguire 6 ft 6 in. small forward but scored inside. 13 seasons NBA
Adrian Dantely 6 ft 5 in. small forward but scored inside. 15 seasons NBA.

You never can tell how much better Williams can get.

Looking forward to seeing if an offseason of weight training has him rebounding with more aggression, he seemed almost too nice sometimes.

Mark Agguire 6 ft 6 in. small forward but scored inside. 13 seasons NBA
Adrian Dantely 6 ft 5 in. small forward but scored inside. 15 seasons NBA.

You never can tell how much better Williams can get.

all season reminded me of Dantley --- would love to see GW add the 3pt shot the way Chism did

Reactions: 2 people
The staff is preparing as if Grant will leave after this year. I understand all the variables with height, speed, athleticism and potential the NBA requires (he may leave for overseas and make money for all I know). It surprised me to hear it from them, but that is how they are playing it. If he returns his senior year then it's icing on the cake.

The staff is preparing as if Grant will leave after this year. I understand all the variables with height, speed, athleticism and potential the NBA requires (he may leave for overseas and make money for all I know). It surprised me to hear it from them, but that is how they are playing it. If he returns his senior year then it's icing on the cake.

Not what I’ve been told at all...in fact Grant has told staff and his academic counselors he wants to graduate this year so he can pursue his masters next year at UT.

Reactions: 2 people
Seems like the NBA just drafts for potential these days. Grant is too short for the 4, not quick enough or not enough of a shot for the 3. Admiral is too short for the 3 and not quick enough for the 2. Alexander might be the player the NBA likes the most, but his shot will hold him back.

Surprised you to hear it from who? The staff?

Seems like the NBA just drafts for potential these days. Grant is too short for the 4, not quick enough or not enough of a shot for the 3. Admiral is too short for the 3 and not quick enough for the 2. Alexander might be the player the NBA likes the most, but his shot will hold him back.

Disagree here, he's more than physical enough to make up for whatever slight height difference their may be at the 3. jmo

VN Store

Back