Barnes expects healthy Fulkerson 'to have a terrific year'

kamoshika

A year later than expected, John Fulkerson is getting his first full offseason as a college basketball player. And Tennessee coach Rick Barnes is expecting it to pay off. “I think in his mindset, he’s gotten over what happened,” Barnes said Thursday at the Big Orange Caravan Stop in Fulkerson’s hometown of Kingsport. “That was pretty tough. I really expect him to have a terrific year this year.”

...Barnes stressed routinely last season that Fulkerson could bring a new dimension to Tennessee. At other points, the Vols coach stated that to be the best version of themselves they would need Fulkerson to play up to his abilities. With a healthy offseason on tap now, that possibility seems more likely now for the sophomore forward.

UT Vols: Rick Barnes expects John Fulkerson 'to have a terrific year'

Reactions: 5 people
Fulkerson showed so much potential early on his freshman year. Excited to see what he can do this year

Reactions: 6 people
Barnes was saying he expected him to be great all last season.

I really hope he gets back to where he was as a freshman, but we will see what happens.

Reactions: griffdog14
This season, if we get the Fulkerson of 2016-17, then he's a welcomed and much needed addition. If we get the Fulkerson of 2017-18, then he probably won't be around for 2019-20.

Fulkerson could see some minutes at small forward, power forward and center depending on foul trouble and match up situations next season.

Half of VN would have to get a new user name if he developed like CRB expects in light of all the crap that's been thrown his way on this forum

You never know how a player is going to develop from one year to the next, but I think it is so short sighted to call him a failure less than a year after major injuries.

If you will recall, the statements about lack of talent are reminiscent of what was being said before he stepped on the floor his freshman year. He pretty much tromped on those expectations, by running ahead on fast breaks, blocking shots, etc. I expect all that and more.

It is going to be interesting to watch unfold (or not, haha).

Reactions: 2 people
Pre-injury Fulk showed so much potential. Hope he can get back to that after a good offseason

You never know how a player is going to develop from one year to the next, but I think it is so short sighted to call him a failure less than a year after major injuries.

If you will recall, the statements about lack of talent are reminiscent of what was being said before he stepped on the floor his freshman year. He pretty much tromped on those expectations, by running ahead on fast breaks, blocking shots, etc. I expect all that and more.

It is going to be interesting to watch unfold (or not, haha).

We were lucky the Admiral came back from his injury at 100%.

Barnes opinion > VN opinion. Getting consistency out of Fulkerson and Alexander will be KEY.

In fact based on many opinions here one would be incredibly safe taking the opposite view. When fringe people make statements like some did concerning JF and not fully understanding what the kid had just gone through makes me consider canceling my VN “membership” but I guess I love being disgusted and walking with laymen 🤨🤨

Reactions: 3 people
In fact based on many opinions here one would be incredibly safe taking the opposite view. When fringe people make statements like some did concerning JF and not fully understanding what the kid had just gone through makes me consider canceling my VN “membership” but I guess I love being disgusted and walking with laymen 🤨🤨

Had just gone through? How long do we use the injury excuse? He is far enough away from injury to use that for bad play.

I don't see him playing much unless its in garbage time.

He was impressive as a freshman before the injury. Last yr showed flashes occasionally. I think off season will be a huge step. Gotta use his right hand.

Had just gone through? How long do we use the injury excuse? He is far enough away from injury to use that for bad play.

I don't see him playing much unless its in garbage time.

Those injuries pretty much wiped out last year for JF. Even if he was fully healed, he missed all of the pre-season practice time. He was no longer paired up with Williams taking reps in practice. The guys that he scrimmaged with were little used so when he was getting minutes it wasn't alongside the guys he was practicing with.

I expect to see Fulkerson making significant contributions when he has the opportunity.

Those injuries pretty much wiped out last year for JF. Even if he was fully healed, he missed all of the pre-season practice time. He was no longer paired up with Williams taking reps in practice. The guys that he scrimmaged with were little used so when he was getting minutes it wasn't alongside the guys he was practicing with.

I expect to see Fulkerson making significant contributions when he has the opportunity.

He actually looked smaller last year. I have a feeling even though he was playing he was not doing any weight training.

He is going to be a very good player for Tennessee.

VN Store

Back