Interesting scheduling plan for college hoops

BruinVol

I know this likely should be in the NCAA forum but I know the rpi freaks around here will have some thoughts.

Cusa just announced today that they are going to have significant changing in their conference scheduling. It works this way.

14 team league- play each team once or 12 games

1 rival team twice MTSU vs WKu

So that's 14 games.

At the end of that time period they will seed the league into pods 1-5, 6-10, 11-14

Those pods play each other the remaining 4 games of the 18 game year with the goal of improving the top 5 teams rpi for building NCAA resumes.

Seems outlandish but it might actually help.

Last edited:
I know this likely should be in the NCAA forum but I know the rpi freaks around here will have some thoughts.

Cusa just announced today that they are going to have significant changing in their conference scheduling. It works this way.

13 team league- play each team once or 12 games

1 rival team twice MTSU vs WKu

So that's 14 games.

At the end of that time period they will seed the league into pods 1-5, 6-10, 11-14

Those pods play each other the remaining 4 games of the 18 game year with the goal of improving the top 5 teams rpi for building NCAA resumes.

Seems outlandish but it might actually help.

Just a minor detail, but playing one rival team twice would be 13 games, not 14.

Allows for the last 4 games to be played vs the better teams.

I think it will help rpis.
It's odd but it might help

They may not want balance with all 5. They might want 4-0, 3-1, 2-2, 1-3, and 0-4 but not 2-2, 2-2, 2-2, 2-2, and 2-2. They'll be sacrificing 1 or 2 of the 5. They're maybe setting up for a max of 3 NCAAT invites.

They may not want balance with all 5. They might want 4-0, 3-1, 2-2, 1-3, and 0-4 but not 2-2, 2-2, 2-2, 2-2, and 2-2. They'll be sacrificing 1 or 2 of the 5. They're maybe setting up for a max of 3 NCAAT invites.

I'd say they would be tickled to get 2 teams in.

If you use last year this may have helped MTSU get in. It would have allowed for 1-2 more Q1 wins which supposedly was a big deal.

They will be hoping their best team goes 3-1 at worst

I'd say they would be tickled to get 2 teams in.

If you use last year this may have helped MTSU get in. It would have allowed for 1-2 more Q1 wins which supposedly was a big deal.

They will be hoping their best team goes 3-1 at worst

Yes, that league has been devastated by their defections. Cincy, Memphis, St. Louis. Houston, Marquette, Louisville, DePaul. 2 probably is their ceiling right now.

That’s probably all, and maybe more, than they deserve.

That’s probably all, and maybe more, than they deserve.

C-USA nearly had 3 in the NCAAT last year and wasn't too far from putting in 4. They probably should have had 2 instead of having just 1 plus 2 in the NIT. Plus UTSA was in the CIT and ODU should have been another NIT team.

Are people really this hungry for money? More teams in the tournament = more money. That's all this is about.

Isn't the job of a conference to do its best to bolster its league to its best results?

$ is a result of that but not the goal imo

Yea 14 teams

Think I messed that up

Just as "they" have. When you try to do this sort of thing, things just get more confused and harder to get interested in. People get use to expecting to see and anticipate seeing games as they are played out over a whole season, not "messed with" half way through the season.
Case in point, NASCAR, what a damn mess!

VN Store

Back