Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
3. Tennessee

Coach: Rick Barnes

2017-18 record: 26-9

Notable players definitely gone: James Daniel

Other expected departures: None

Notable players expected to return: Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, Lamonte Turner, Jordan Bowden, Jordan Bone, Kyle Alexander, Chris Darrington, John Fulkerson, Derrick Walker, Zach Kent, Jalen Johnson, Yves Pons

Expected additions: Khwan Jones

Why the Vols are ranked here: Tennessee should return most of the important pieces from a team that shared the SEC regular-season title. More specifically, the top six scorers are back — among them SEC Player of the Year Grant Williams. So it'll come as no surprise when the Vols finish at, or near, the top of the league again.

2018-19 college basketball rankings: Why Villanova has fallen out of the top 5 of the Top 25 (and one) - CBSSports.com

h/t 31VFL for the heads up.

Reactions: 1 person
Too high too early. Maybe a top 10 in the preseason, but now? Don't see it.

I would argue opposite...we finished the season Top 15 and return more than just about any team in front of us in that Top 15. On paper we deserve to be Top 5, in all actuality I don’t think we will be when the ball hits the court but on paper I do feel it is deserving.

I kinda sorta wish the pundits would pick us to finish 13th in the conference again.
That seems to work out well.

Reactions: 2 people
Someone tell him we haven't recruited well enough and the Fulmer effect isn't going to kick in this quickly

Someone tell him that it's Khwan Fore, not Khwan Jones. It's like editors don't exist anymore.

In Parrish's mind, the aura of Jones still hovers over UT sports like malignant, everlasting smog.
He can't get Botch out of his mind.
I'm not part of the twitterverse or I'd send the twit a tweet.

Last edited:
I'll certainly take this!

In college sports, starting out on top helps your ranking stay high given your performance, whereas starting out lower and performing the same would yield a lower ranking due to having to work your way up and prove yourself.

We've already proven ourselves worthy of this ranking. We lose the 2nd fewest people over the off-season and our top 6 scorers are returning, including the reigning SEC Player of the Year.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Last edited:
While I think #3 is too high, I can't dispute the opinion of someone who got their big career break by exposing Bama football as (continued) cheaters...

I'll certainly take this!

In college sports, starting out on top helps your ranking stay high given your performance, whereas starting out lower and performing the same would yield a lower ranking due to having to work your way up and prove yourself.

We've already proven ourselves worthy of this ranking. We lose the 2nd fewest people over the off-season and our top 6 scorers are returning, including the reigning SEC Player of the Year.

This is the world of Duke and NC and I like it. Most impressive to me is 5 of Top 20 are SEC members, which also helps. Tn at 3 losing to a 20 LSU would not drop as much as losing to LSU unranked. League strength helps all, as ACC has proven. Just win and everything will take care of itself. Shows how impressive those KY high seeds were with a weak league.

While I hope the Vols BB team can achieve a number 3 ranking - I can assure you just because Gary Parrish said it really throws doubt into the game....I don't often denigrate individuals but GP is without a doubt the worst basketball analyst I know. He's more like a TMZ type guy who THRIVES on sensationalism...thrives on it....and less on factual conversation. And why, pray tell, would CBS put him on a basketball panel for its broadcast? Maybe that's just me but man he is awful...and when I hear his voice or see his byline I run to turn the channel or the page....

While I hope the Vols BB team can achieve a number 3 ranking - I can assure you just because Gary Parrish said it really throws doubt into the game....I don't often denigrate individuals but GP is without a doubt the worst basketball analyst I know. He's more like a TMZ type guy who THRIVES on sensationalism...thrives on it....and less on factual conversation. And why, pray tell, would CBS put him on a basketball panel for its broadcast? Maybe that's just me but man he is awful...and when I hear his voice or see his byline I run to turn the channel or the page....

Eh, I listen to his radio show almost every day. While he is a bit arrogant and I don't side with many of his political views, he usually brings some facts to the table. He isn't a "basketball analyst," and he has repeatedly said on his radio show that he doesn't break down basketball. He's a columnist. He gets paid to provide some opinions.

Coaches and leagues actually ask him to advise on how to deal with the media, and he has contacts galore. He just spoke to the A10 basketball coaches and AD's recently. He does bring substance to the table.

Anecdotally it feels like teams that return all 5 starters and same staff are generally never quite as good expected.

Anecdotally it feels like teams that return all 5 starters and same staff are generally never quite as good expected.

Yup. Hard to repeat what many would consider as an overachieving success. We won't be sneaking up on anyone.

That's why you've got to take advantage of the good years when you can.

Personally I'm hoping for a regular season as good as last year but I could definitely see us having more losses. If that happens I hope we make up for it with a deeper tourney run.

Really, after the first half of the sec everybody knew what to expect but we still beat them. I see no reason why we can’t duplicate thy success, or even exceed it.

Yup. Hard to repeat what many would consider as an overachieving success. We won't be sneaking up on anyone.

That's why you've got to take advantage of the good years when you can.

Personally I'm hoping for a regular season as good as last year but I could definitely see us having more losses. If that happens I hope we make up for it with a deeper tourney run.

It’s all relative too. 1st there is variance to basketball. We could end up on the wrong side of variance OR this last year we were on the good side a lot and maybe things balance out

Or the schedule could get harder, have more bad matchups etc..

VN Store

Back