Basketball Recruiting Discussion II

Walk-On’s are a big part of a programs success, if you can add quality walk-on’s with multiple MM offers that’s a nice get. :)

2018 Atlanta Jam 17U top performers, Part III | HoopSeen

???

Brock Jancek, TN Bobcats, 2018, PF/C: The word potential is one that is thrown around a ton when determining whether or not they should get involved with a prospect in recruiting meetings. One thing that may go understated is a players productivity over the course of several attempts to evaluate him. Jancek put up big numbers at our Atlanta Jam regardless of the foe placed in front of him. Big men that can score around the basket aren't easy to come by, especially as we head into the summer. Coaches should take a moment to peel back the layers on this Bobcat big man to see how he could make a late splash on their roster. - Tai Young

:thumbsup:

Who said that?

He needs motivation to recruit IMO. Given his assistant’s statements.

The quote feature would not work on the Rec Disc I thread so I copied/pasted your previous statement above in bold. Given our past dialogue on this I understand your perception based on Lanier's "earned the right" quote which you have obviously interpreted to mean Barne's is lazy (or whatever synonym you want to replace that with). My question is simple...if that is the case, as you believe, why would he go the diamond in the rough route which takes considerably more time/effort to get right (unless you contend the players we have are not good enough which you have implied)?

Who said that?

He needs motivation to recruit IMO. Given his assistant’s statements.

The quote feature would not work on the Rec Disc I thread so I copied/pasted your previous statement above in bold. Given our past dialogue on this I understand your perception based on Lanier's "earned the right" quote which you have obviously interpreted to mean Barne's is lazy (or whatever synonym you want to replace that with). My question is simple...if that is the case, as you believe, why would he go the diamond in the rough route which takes considerably more time/effort to get right (unless you contend the players we have are not good enough which you have implied)?

Barnes is not lazy. I’ve had this discussion numerous times so no need to rehash it and spend a bunch of time on it. The board is sick of hearing it.

The statements made by Oliver don’t get made without a sense of entitlement. My contention has been that we simply could/should do a little better job in recruiting.

Last edited:
I mentioned yesterday the SC Rivals mods who had been saying Burns to SC were now saying 50/50 yesterday...today they posted an update and said they are hearing Tennessee. Rob Lewis has continued his same stance for weeks, “Tennessee staff feels very good about where they are with Burns”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I said that yesterday the SC Rivals mods who had been saying SC moved to 50/50 yesterday...today they posted an update and said they are hearing Tennessee. Rob Lewis has continued his same stance for weeks, “Tennessee staff feels very good about where they are with Burns”.

Still no decision date set?

Took a deeper look into Kansas depth chart, this would be Tre Mann’s freshman season...

PG: Charlie Moore RJR, Marcus Garrett JR, Devon Dotson SO, Markese Jacobs FR

SG: Sam Cuncliffe SR, Quentin Grimes SO, Ochai Agbaji

SF: Dedric Lawson RSR, KJ Lawson RJR

PF: Mitch Lightfoot SR, Silvio De Sousa JR

C: Udoka Azubuike SR, David McCormack SO

So on paper Kansas doesn’t even have a scholarship to give, now Azubuike is still in the draft but most expect him to withdraw...with such a need at the 3/4/5 positions I would think that would be their priority.

Reactions: 1 person
Took a deeper look into Kansas depth chart, this would be Tre Mann’s freshman season...

PG: Charlie Moore RJR, Marcus Garrett JR, Devon Dotson SO, Markese Jacobs FR

SG: Sam Cuncliffe SR, Quentin Grimes SO, Ochai Agbaji

SF: Dedric Lawson RSR, KJ Lawson RJR

PF: Mitch Lightfoot SR, Silvio De Sousa JR

C: Udoka Azubuike SR, David McCormack SO

So on paper Kansas doesn’t even have a scholarship to give, now Azubuike is still in the draft but most expect him to withdraw...with such a need at the 3/4/5 positions I would think that would be their priority.

Any chance they are looking to upgrade on Jacobs?

Any chance they are looking to upgrade on Jacobs?

It doesn’t sound like it, he’s someone that has a connection to their staff and has been commited awhile. He’s having a strong AAU season so far and it’s not like he’s an unranked guy, you’d be cutting bait with a Top 80 player for a Top 40 that has been commited for 2 years?

I’m not saying there is something to it, but I definitely think it’s worth discussion and monitoring.

It doesn’t sound like it, he’s someone that has a connection to their staff and has been commited awhile. He’s having a strong AAU season so far and it’s not like he’s an unranked guy, you’d be cutting bait with a Top 80 player for a Top 40 that has been commited for 2 years?

I’m not saying there is something to it, but I definitely think it’s worth discussion and monitoring.

You just can't count out a school like Kansas. They can overcome pretty much anything in a recruitment. Hoping he sees the need for him here at UT.

You just can't count out a school like Kansas. They can overcome pretty much anything in a recruitment. Hoping he sees the need for him here at UT.

They can’t take 10 guys, or 7 guys, or probably even 4 guys...so my question, which I think is fair, is where does Mann sit on Kansas’ board.

Imo if you asked a Kansas fan they would list 15-20 guys higher on their board than Mann, the question is does Bill Self and staff feel the same. Much the same way you said Mann was at the top of our board because we brought him in on an OV, is Mann going to be done that way at KU, or if Mann tries to visit are they gonna slow play him?

Last edited:
Rob Lewis War Room recap...

-Have said for a long time Tennessee feels good about their chances with Burns, and heard nothing to change that. Look for an announcement on or before June 1st, Burns has also relayed that he’s on board with redshirting if the staff feels he should.

-Florida has seemingly lost momentum with Mann since his official visit and as of right now it would appear to be more of a Kansas/Tennessee battle. What to watch here is how long does it go, Mann had let it known he was closing in on a decision and that’s why you saw 2 OV’s taken, however the Kansas offer has caused him to pump the brakes a bit. Tennessee won’t sit around awaiting an answer, they will continue to recruit the other PG’s on their board as well as Mann and see what happens. If this drags out into October and November and he lines up a couple of OV’s have to think it’s bad news for Tennessee, their goal right now is to try and get him to push that decision date back up.

-CJ Walker is one of the wings with a recent offer from Tennessee that has expressed interest to the staff, he plays for the same AAU squad as Tre Mann. Florida was thought to be his leader for awhile but they lost his main recruiter to another school so he’s much more open now. Florida trying to rebuild that relationship but the door is open for another school and Walker has interest in Tennessee.

-Another wing that received a recent offer is Patrick Williams, he also has expressed interest in Tennessee and the Vols have some connections here with him being from Charlotte where Des Oliver has spent a lot of time over the years.

Reactions: 3 people
Rob Lewis War Room recap...

-Have said for a long time Tennessee feels good about their chances with Burns, and heard nothing to change that. Look for an announcement on or before June 1st, Burns has also relayed that he’s on board with redshirting if the staff feels he should.

-Florida has seemingly lost momentum with Mann since his official visit and as of right now it would appear to be more of a Kansas/Tennessee battle. What to watch here is how long does it go, Mann had let it known he was closing in on a decision and that’s why you saw 2 OV’s taken, however the Kansas offer has caused him to pump the brakes a bit. Tennessee won’t sit around awaiting an answer, they will continue to recruit the other PG’s on their board as well as Mann and see what happens. If this drags out into October and November and he lines up a couple of OV’s have to think it’s bad news for Tennessee, their goal right now is to try and get him to push that decision date back up.

-CJ Walker is one of the wings with a recent offer from Tennessee that has expressed interest to the staff, he plays for the same AAU squad as Tre Mann. Florida was thought to be his leader for awhile but they lost his main recruiter to another school so he’s much more open now. Florida trying to rebuild that relationship but the door is open for another school and Walker has interest in Tennessee.

-Another wing that received a recent offer is Patrick Williams, he also has expressed interest in Tennessee and the Vols have some connections here with him being from Charlotte where Des Oliver has spent a lot of time over the years.

Solid. I'm gonna trust Rob on this one and count Burns as being an addition in the 18 class.

Hoping it works out with Mann.

VN Store

Back