Howard Bayne has passed away.

Before my time. I've heard his name mentioned over the years, though.

Rest in peace.

Reactions: 1 person
I was a young teenager when a confluence of things sparked a golden age of Tennessee basketball. Coach Mears came to Knoxville, they signed A.W. Davis, Howard Bayne, and Ron Widby and John Ward began calling the basketball games in the 1965 season. Sitting by the radio with my dad and brother as Ward called the games was nothing short of magical. We lost A.W. (the Rutledge Rifle) a few years ago and now sadly we have lost Howard. Thanks to a great VFL for the memories, may you rest in peace.

Reactions: 8 people
Howard was not as big as Boerwinkle but they were cut from the same cloth. He was as intimidating and intense as any basketballer ever! Yea, I was there! RIP

I’ve heard the name, but obviously didn’t know much about him. Rest In Peace.

I saw the game when we defeated the undefeated Wildcats. The biggest upset in UT history! The tip in heard around the world. Howard was an animal. The word at the time was he joined the service (before entering college) which made him several years older than his counterparts. Did not read anything about that in his obit.

Reactions: 2 people
I was a young teenager when a confluence of things sparked a golden age of Tennessee basketball. Coach Mears came to Knoxville, they signed A.W. Davis, Howard Bayne, and Ron Widby and John Ward began calling the basketball games in the 1965 season. Sitting by the radio with my dad and brother as Ward called the games was nothing short of magical. We lost A.W. (the Rutledge Rifle) a few years ago and now sadly we have lost Howard. Thanks to a great VFL for the memories, may you rest in peace.

Love your definition "golden age of Tennessee basketball" states the "times" perfectly. I was past listening with family but didn't miss if it was possible. When they were on the tube, never missed, then hearing John on the radio, I could "see" the game. Bayne and company were "workman" in a sports game.
By the way Ron Widby was one of, if not the best, punter we had in the 20th century. When his punts finally came down the would be cold..

I used to listen with my dad and if the Vols weren't on you could get WHAS out of Louisville and hope for UK to lose. RIP Howard.

You left out Danny Schultz who was one of the better players to play early for Mears. Schultz played at Hiwassee Jr college in Madisonville, Tennessee where Mears found him.

The rumors back then about Howard Bayne was that he was a football player coach Mears put on the team to intimidate the other team's front line.He would body folks up into the first row.He also ruled the area around the basket.Rest in peace big guy!!!!

The rumors back then about Howard Bayne was that he was a football player coach Mears put on the team to intimidate the other team's front line.He would body folks up into the first row.He also ruled the area around the basket.Rest in peace big guy!!!!

I know that Georgia fans and coaches hated him. He was a beast on the boards aa well on defense.

Tennessee has been losing a lot of the stars from the early Mears era. Bayne, Boerwinkle, Red Robbins, Jimmy England, Bobby Croft, Don Johnson, AW Davis. I assume that Danny Schultz is still alive, but he became damaged goods with the shady business practices.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
RIP Mr. Bayne and the sports section of today's Knoxville News Sentinel had a terrific article on him.

Me too.... As best I can piece it together we first had season tickets for the 1963-64 season.... I am pretty sure I remember two seasons looking across at the small side of the Armory with the students in it before the expansion and name change... For sure remember Bobby Hogsett on the bench. We always went for the freshman games too... A bunch of memories of Howard and his glassy stare at the refs with the ball behind his back till he was ready to give it up... He and Red Robbins banging the boards was common.... Loved me some Orange BB for sure.... A giant stroke of luck had us joining the Orange Tie Section at mid court... Had front row seats for the first few years till they enlarged the area, but put the new rows in front, six I believe it was... still great seats except the three seats in front of ours was the Aberdeen family... with both kids having a shaker in each hand and typically wanting to stand in their seats during high tension plays.... Odd though that the ties were mainly blue with an orange stripe, but everyone also had a bright orange vest.... fun times for a junior high aged kid....

VN Store

Back