SLAM article: "Miami Heat Guard Josh Richardson is For Real"

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Good article on Josh.

jrich3.jpg

Richardson was never supposed to make it this far. He grew up in Edmond, Oklahoma, where he was a good enough guard to earn a basketball scholarship to the University of Tennessee. He averaged a measly 7.9 points per game as a sophomore—not exactly a mark that screams future pro—and so he figured he’d spend his post-college days chasing a different dream: medical school. He’d always wanted to be a surgeon, and even enrolled in a pre-med track at Tennessee. But then came his junior season, and a change in position (to point guard) combined with an injection of confidence and freedom, which led to a boost in his numbers.

On The Rise: Miami Heat Guard Josh Richardson is For Real 💯

Reactions: 12 people
Great to see Josh getting some recognition, very well deserved!

Completely beside the point, but didn’t he switch from wing to point as a senior rather than as a junior as they suggest in the article? Antonio Barton, Darius Thompson and the great Brandon Lopez were our point guards during Josh’s junior year if I recall correctly.

They don’t have the pitching to sustain their success.

I think that remains to be seen. We don't know what Newcomb and now Soroka may bring. McCarthy is solid and was last year in LA. Teheran is always solid, especially on the road. Folty is much improved. Lots of questions about the rotation, but the answers are positive so far. Haven't even gotten a chance to see Gohara yet. I'm more concerned with the bullpen than the starters.

But when you score as much as we do, you can sustain average pitching. They are still a year ahead of schedule, so it won't surprise me to see them trail off, but early returns are impressive.

I think that remains to be seen. We don't know what Newcomb and now Soroka may bring. McCarthy is solid and was last year in LA. Teheran is always solid, especially on the road. Folty is much improved. Lots of questions about the rotation, but the answers are positive so far. Haven't even gotten a chance to see Gohara yet. I'm more concerned with the bullpen than the starters.

But when you score as much as we do, you can sustain average pitching. They are still a year ahead of schedule, so it won't surprise me to see them trail off, but early returns are impressive.

Newcomb has basically been pitching like an ace so far

I firmly believe their pitching staff won’t hold up. Soroka looks good but is only 20. I know he’s pitched a lot of innings in the minors but I would be surprised if they didn’t limit his innings once he’s called up for good (which could be now depending on how he pitches tomorrow).

As far as the hitters go, they are still super young and that production is obviously not sustainable. Pretty much every Braves player is playing out of their minds right now, not only the young guys but Suzuki and Markakis are on fire. It’s a long season and they may be peaking too soon.

I firmly believe their pitching staff won’t hold up. Soroka looks good but is only 20. I know he’s pitched a lot of innings in the minors but I would be surprised if they didn’t limit his innings once he’s called up for good (which could be now depending on how he pitches tomorrow).

As far as the hitters go, they are still super young and that production is obviously not sustainable. Pretty much every Braves player is playing out of their minds right now, not only the young guys but Suzuki and Markakis are on fire. It’s a long season and they may be peaking too soon.

Called up Bautista for an added veteran presence in the clubhouse

VN Store

Back