Very early Top 25 - UT #5

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
2018-19 college basketball rankings: Way-too-early projection has Kansas and Duke at the top - CBSSports.com

Let the hype begin (or continue)....

I think this is a little high (although our ranking is more realistic than Auburn's). Unlike another former Memphis beat writer (cough..Wolken..cough), Parrish is fairly impartial towards UT.

I think the team should be in the 12-15 range for the following reasons:

1. Guard play isn't good enough for Top 5 ranking
2. SEC is really tough and we will unlikely have the favorable draw with our league schedule 2 years in a row (we played the bottom 4 teams twice).
3. How do we play as the hunted vs. being the hunter (The Loyola game we were favorites and we had a 30 minute stretch where we looked awful).

Let me know what ya'll think

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Not to worry about league Schedule it will be worked out by a computer.

The league was strong this year with 8 teams in the Tourney. So any draws on league schedule will be null.

Preseason top 10 is high. 10 to 20 will be fine.

We are witnessing a process by CRB just hope it does not turn into the CRB's Texas scenario, good enough to get in but not good enough to make a deep run.

Wait and see mode.

Based on this Vegas doesn’t have us in the Top 16
[twitter]981012126058782722[/twitter]

After watching the "football game" to finish this season, I can't see ANY SEC team getting to the top of the heap any time soon. Not because they don't have the talent, but the way games are called here and the way the teams that made the top this year (and for the most part the last few years) play so one on one and three shot happy. This league will need to rethink things to win the big one.
With a little luck, I see us around 12 -15 next year.

After watching the "football game" to finish this season, I can't see ANY SEC team getting to the top of the heap any time soon. Not because they don't have the talent, but the way games are called here and the way the teams that made the top this year (and for the most part the last few years) play so one on one and three shot happy. This league will need to rethink things to win the big one.
With a little luck, I see us around 12 -15 next year.
You guys are acting like we didn't already do that this year, and likely get all 5 starters plus the SEC 6th man of the year back

Reactions: 1 person
we're bringing back the entire roster that won the regular season, and was a 3 seed.

i think top 10-12 is probably reasonable headed in to next season. top 5? eh....not so sure about that.

this team will be really good....will they out perform this season? dunno...seems like a tall order, but i think it's reasonable to say we should be competing for a top 4 seed in the SEC tourney and a top 5 seed in the NCAA next season.

excited to see how Williams and Alexander develop. and if turner and bone can develop in to guards that can drive the lane and create....assists or shooting....we could be really good.

i think for Schofield, he just needs to be a better handler of the basketball, and keep working on the jump shot. physically, he's there.

then there were role players this year that could see more pt...

i think there's no reason not to be excited about next season.

Only this part is worrisome:

Expected additions: None

They only say that because there is no one committed or signed. I have a hard time believing we add no one, essentially meaning we enter next year with 11 scholarship players.

What’s your definition of impact player?

Better than anything we added in 2017 class.

Since we are just talking about impact for 2018-19 season I think we are striking out in that department.

Impact = more than just depth, more than just someone to give a breather to the impact players.

Better than anything we added in 2017 class.

Since we are just talking about impact for 2018-19 season I think we are striking out in that department.

Impact = more than just depth, more than just someone to give a breather to the impact players.

Imo adding someone who appears in every game 10-15mpg would be an impact player.

I don’t think we should be top 10. About 15-18 is where we belong IMO.

Hard to say without knowing who’s staying or going off other teams...we finished the year around 15 by most, hard to think every team in front of them returns most everyone and is expected to be as good.

Hard to say without knowing who’s staying or going off other teams...we finished the year around 15 by most, hard to think every team in front of them returns most everyone and is expected to be as good.

Teams reload and some teams will improve like we did this year. 15-18 is about right. Maybe a little bit better. Like 12-18.

We will continue to fall in the rankings because that’s just the nature of the hacks that write this stuff. They are meaningless rankings anyway.

Meh. We could just keep Darrington to fill those minutes left by Daniel.

Daniel also was not an impact player IMO. I’m sure you disagree.

If you keep Darrington he’s not getting 10-15mpg, those minutes are going to Bone/Turner/Bowden.

I 100% disagree, we lose 2-3 more games this year if we don’t have Daniel...especially early on and Barnes said as much.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back