Crazy to Think ...

DiderotsGhost

... that we might be in the Final Four right now if we simply had better shot selection in our last game. We lost by 1 point, but in the 1st Half (and for a big stretch in the 2nd Half) we took a lot of terrible, rushed, well-guarded 3 pointers that put us in a hole. IMO that was the difference in the game. Loyola was patient in finding good opportunities and we were not through large stretches of the game. I thought we were the better team if we had simply played smarter.

Still proud of this team and hoping for great things next year. Our loss doesn't look quite as bad now that our opponent is in the Final Four.

Reactions: 3 people
... That we might be in the final four right now if we simply had better shot selection in our last game. We lost by 1 point, but in the 1st half (and for a big stretch in the 2nd half) we took a lot of terrible, rushed, well-guarded 3 pointers that put us in a hole. Imo that was the difference in the game. Loyola was patient in finding good opportunities and we were not through large stretches of the game. I thought we were the better team if we had simply played smarter.

Still proud of this team and hoping for great things next year. Our loss doesn't look quite as bad now that our opponent is in the final four.

Why must I be reminded of this every flipping time loyola wins?

Reactions: 1 person
Why must I be reminded of this every flipping time loyola wins?

Heh, I'm rooting for Loyola to win it all at this point. Much rather it be them than Duke, Kansas, Michigan, or Villanova.

The thing is ... the NCAA tournament, while immensely entertaining, is a dumb-luck crap-shoot to a large degree. There's a reason the NBA plays best-of-7 series. Even with an elite team, it's tough to play 4-6 spectacular games in a row against great opponents.

Sad we're not in the Final Four, but I'm very encouraged by how much progress we've made under Barnes. We didn't go out there and stink it up against a vastly inferior opponent like Virginia. We made some mental mistakes that cost us in a game against a great opponent that got a hell of a lot of lucky breaks (bounces, foul calls, etc). And they still needed a lucky bounce on a buzzer-beater to win the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Loyola deserves to be there for sure, but that shot Custer hit against Tennessee to win it was garbage. It was a borderline heave with a more than generous bounce.

Reactions: 5 people
Yep. A lot of Vol fans don't want to give them any credit.

No one isn’t giving them any credit but they took advantage of Alexander not being in the game.

That takes away a good portion of our rebounding.

No one isn’t giving them any credit but they took advantage of Alexander not being in the game.

When will Walker step up ? Fulk gets on the floor before Walker

I agree, we probably would've won with KA. But you have to admit Loyola is a good team. Clutch shooting, and good defense.

Reactions: 2 people
Say we win. Maybe then Kentucky doesnt lose and the Atlanta Blue stop us from going to oir first Final Four. That would suck worse than this Loyola team supposingly taking our spot.

Say we win. Maybe then Kentucky doesnt lose and the Atlanta Blue stop us from going to oir first Final Four. That would suck worse than this Loyola team supposingly taking our spot.

Kentucky looked awful against K State. I know it was technically a close game, but they really didn't look like they belonged. And I don't think they're magically winning just because Tennessee advances.

I honestly think K State is probably the worst Elite Eight team I've seen in awhile. I'm not surprised they got clobbered by Loyola. They got lucky Virginia lost, then got lucky that Kentucky played like a clueless NIT team. They didn't even really play that well against UMBC. If UMBC shot like they did against UVa, they would've beaten K State.

Suppose we e knocked KY out to advance to our first FF. How sweet would that have been

Reactions: 2 people
So far the VOLS have given Loyola Chicago the best game in their tournament. Hard to beat this team plus their nun!!

UT has always had a tough time with the Missouri Valley Conference league teams. Congratulations to Loyola for advancing to the Final Four.

Maybe, but that is a well coached team

Alexander would have made a one point difference so not maybe we would have won and won by 10 or more. His length is enormous for our defense and he was missed majorly.

OP LC winning doesn’t count toward our 2018-2019 resume. But I agree with you, it’s a bad loss anyway you swing it.

VN Store

Back