Best NCAA Tournament Coach

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Yikes...

Who’s The Best At Coaching In The NCAA Men’s Tournament? | FiveThirtyEight

And at the other end of the spectrum, some active coaches have added this month to their less-than-stellar tourney marks. Tennessee’s Rick Barnes ranks as the second-worst NCAA tournament coach since 1985 by this metric, and his Volunteers flamed out as a No. 3 seed against No. 11 Loyola-Chicago. (Barnes beats only current Temple coach Fran Dunphy.) TCU’s Jamie Dixon, who previously coached Pittsburgh for 14 seasons, ranks third-worst, and his squad was upset in the Round of 64 by none other than Boeheim’s Orange. Meanwhile, Houston’s Kelvin Sampson, Virginia’s Tony Bennett and Cincinnati’s Mick Cronin all rank in the bottom 20 since 1985, and all three were bounced from this year’s tournament in disappointing fashion.2 Bennett’s Cavaliers, in fact, became the first No. 1 seed to ever lose to a No. 16 seed, which cost him practically an entire win against expectation in a single result.

He's a game or 2 below .500 lifetime. He's going to have a lot of losses because he's been there about 20x. About half of the coaches in the 2018 NCAAT went 0-1. About a quarter went 1-1. The rest have 2 or more wins. He's at the 50th-75th percentile. A little above average. Less than 20% of all teams make the tourney. So he's in the top half of the 20% making the tourney. I'll take it. A S16 next year will be great, but getting into the field every year going forward will be great as well. We aren't in the Blue Blood class. Hopefully he'll have us positioned to be a basketball school as the old guard (Boeheim, K, Roy, etc) start retiring. The program needs to be on solid footing when he hands it off in 5 or 10 years. We rarely have smooth transfers to successor coaches. Buzz to Bruce worked out. Wettig to Devoe started out well.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't buy into this thinking anymore. Tom Izzo is the coach that changed my mind.

Not even worth looking at tounrey records anymore. Coaching is coaching imo

Might as well add Bruce Pearl to the list since he got destroyed in the 2nd round by Clemson.

Kinda crazy how many tournament games Coach K has been in now. He has way more wins than most coaches have total games.

Izzo was the best tourney coach in the history of the game a few years back. He was the best thing since sliced bread

He sucks now.

In another words it all evens out

Been to three final 4’s since 2009.

Is this a serious post?

Lost to an MTSU 15 seed

Lost to an 11 Syracuse

Is the last 3 years

Yea i am serious:
Everyone loses

Ok you are serious.

Yeah he’s had a short run of early exits. His track record speaks for itself though. He’s not bulletproof I guess.

Barnes record since 2008 is much more concerning if you’re a UT fan.

Ok you are serious.

Yeah he’s had a short run of early exits. His track record speaks for itself though. He’s not bulletproof I guess.

Barnes record since 2008 is much more concerning if you’re a UT fan.

He's a great coach. I think you are misunderstanding my point.

My point is coaches given enough games are going to have the same winning % against tourney type teams both in the tourney and in the regular season

Coaches that beat tourney teams in the regular more will naturally win more tourney games

That make sense?

My point is Barnes was 8-7 against tourney teams THiS season.

So right on par he went 1-1 in the tounrey.

I bet we will find that most coaches have very very similar regular season records against tourney teams as they do in the tounrey

My point is Barnes was 8-7 against tourney teams THiS season.

So right on par he went 1-1 in the tounrey.

I bet we will find that most coaches have very very similar regular season records against tourney teams as they do in the tounrey

Wright state was a gimme

Wright state was a gimme

So was lipscomb that counted in the 8-7 record

I just don't believe izzo, coach k, Roy williams are any better in the tourney than they are in the regular season. They are damn good all the time

And likewise Barnes is no worse. I bet he is barely above 500 against tounrey teams over the years in the regular season

Perhaps your post should be titled Worst rather than Best, OP, considering the info it reveals.

VN Store

Back