Is Our Pep Band Play List Too Pompus?

VolTexas

I went to both Tennessee tournament games and parts of two others that came with the tickets.

I think our Pep Band is the best, but save Rocky Top, Loyola seemed more engaging.. The play list varied to engage a broader audience.

I liked Loyola Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" and think our band could have done it better.

Nothing touches Rocky Top for engagement, and our band was the best in the arena, but the other stuff is great hard driving brass that fills the arena,.. But does not always engage the audience.

If we put our minds to it, we could do a little better there. I think it could help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
UT should fahr that band director and get someone with UT ties or we will never get that program to where it needs to be. I wanna hear some good loud obnoxious noise like 'third down for what'. i think it could help

Just play more TUNES instead of the mindless riffs. Something with a melody is always good. For those who think this subject is boring, go listen to your rap crap. :rock:

Just play more TUNES instead of the mindless riffs. Something with a melody is always good. For those who think this subject is boring, go listen to your rap crap. :rock:

You go listen to your Abba's greatest hits. The band has gone so stale that it is a boring subject. And you know what you can do with your freakin sax.

Reactions: 1 person
You go listen to your Abba's greatest hits. The band has gone so stale that it is a boring subject. And you know what you can do with your freakin sax.

Hilarious! Kind of true. Kind of mean. Entirely amusing!
:post-4-1090547912:

I believe you are in the wrong forum to complain about the band

The band is the best of the six heard. Played the national anthem both times. I am requesting an improvement in the play list. LUC's was better.

Am actually trying to create home team advantage at neutral sites.

This is important for tournaments and will help the team, Rick Barnes and UT in general get better results where we have struggled in the past.

OP: what would you add to or remove from the playlist?

I get it. Makes me cringe every time the UK band plays "Hey Baby".

I went to both Tennessee tournament games and parts of two others that came with the tickets.

I think our Pep Band is the best, but save Rocky Top, Loyola seemed more engaging.. The play list varied to engage a broader audience.

I liked Loyola Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" and think our band could have done it better.

I would say you are correct, our pep band is awesome. I do think they still play some of the songs they played when played sax in the pep band at UT in the 80's though.

Probably really like the "25 or 6 to 4" because of the connection to the CTA. I absolutely loved playing it myself.

OP: what would you add to or remove from the playlist?

I get it. Makes me cringe every time the UK band plays "Hey Baby".

Good question.

There was something about their "fanfare" that said "There is something good here. Pay attention."

So right from the warm up sounds, they had the AA center.

I would straight copy that.

Some of their stuff was really campy, but look at the audience. There were $100, $200 and $300 tickets with kids in them. So folks are going for the experience , not just the basketball. Sounded like some sort of dating song that women would identify with.

... would start with a straight lift and then make it reach and engage more. Maybe "You're the One that I Want" would work better than what they chose... Movie songs likely connect in this culture.

Grease- You're the one that I want [HQ+lyrics] - YouTube

No expert here, but some sort of call and response in the instrumentals might engage the audience a bit - Lucas with the Lid Off?
Lucas - Lucas with the lid off - YouTube

If the UT band knows it is more about engaging than performing, they can do way, way better than I can.

Tennessee was the best band there. Just adjust the play list for date night.

If you win the allegiance of the girls, the obnoxious guys will muzzle themselves, if they know what is good for them.

This will help win basketball games at neutral sites.

The only complaint I have about the pep band is their wearing black
WEAR ORANGE!!!

The Loyola of Chicago burgundy and yellow scarves made them look bigger than they were.

I think you have something there. Not sure we need dooley orange pants.

I don't know about other school's bands, but I actually like the pep band at UT. They have played some of the same songs for years, but they atleast add something news each year.
I hate the band at the Football games. I was in middle school while Al Wilson and Leonard Little were playing. When they came up and hit someone followed by the band playing Iron Man was intimidating to me. Now Tennessee's defense gives up 15 yards and the band still plays Iron Man. It's a complete joke. I'd rather hear whatever Sterling wants to play than to listen to the band.

I don't know about other school's bands, but I actually like the pep band at UT. They have played some of the same songs for years, but they atleast add something news each year.
I hate the band at the Football games. I was in middle school while Al Wilson and Leonard Little were playing. When they came up and hit someone followed by the band playing Iron Man was intimidating to me. Now Tennessee's defense gives up 15 yards and the band still plays Iron Man. It's a complete joke. I'd rather hear whatever Sterling wants to play than to listen to the band.

Agree. I don't go to a football game to watch some emotionally confused dork toot a flute.

Nothing touches Rocky Top for engagement, and our band was the best in the arena, but the other stuff is great hard driving brass that fills the arena,.. But does not always engage the audience.

If we put our minds to it, we could do a little better there. I think it could help.

Youre that type huh?

VN Store

Back