Why only March Matters...

Dougie_D

If you compared to our season with Texas A&M, would you say we had the better season?

What about Syracuse?

What about Virginia?

The reality is that the regular season SETS you up to have a better chance to win the big dance... but if you fail to reach far, it’s very upsetting.

Personally I’d rather have a mediocre season but reach far in tourney next season.

Go Vols!!!

Reactions: 3 people
I hate to bring it up but this season followed a similar trajectory to some of Barnes' seasons at Texas. We might have to get used to this.

Reactions: 6 people
NCAAT is a very cruel way to decide the champion. The best team over the span of the season rarely wins it all. It's usually an elite team, but definitely not always the #1 overall seed. The NCAAT forces you to play your best basketball for 6 games in a row which is insanely difficult.

Reactions: 1 person
If you compared to our season with Texas A&M, would you say we had the better season?

What about Syracuse?

What about Virginia?

The reality is that the regular season SETS you up to have a better chance to win the big dance... but if you fail to reach far, it’s very upsetting.

Personally I’d rather have a mediocre season but reach far in tourney next season.

Go Vols!!!

Hell yea we had a better season than A&M and Syracuse. They better win 2 more before it's even a discussion

NCAAT is a very cruel way to decide the champion. The best team over the span of the season rarely wins it all. It's usually an elite team, but definitely not always the #1 overall seed. The NCAAT forces you to play your best basketball for 6 games in a row which is insanely difficult.

Winning 6 games in a row is easy in the grand scheme of things. I agree that it’s harder because its Win and advance or loose and your season is done.

Teams that just want it more will go further. That’s why you see “upsets”.

Scouting is the key also. I remember Barnes was saying that the team wasn’t following our scout report.

I’ve always believe that certain teams and coaches are just better during tournament play.

Reactions: 2 people
I hate to bring it up but this season followed a similar trajectory to some of Barnes' seasons at Texas. We might have to get used to this.

Barnes has a history of taking teams predicted to finish near the bottom of their conference and instead win a share of the SEC Title, make it to the SECT Championship game, and land a 3 seed in the NCAAT?

Who knew?

Those of you trying to compare this season to anything Barnes did at Texas are misguided. This was maybe his best coaching job in his career. At Texas, the failures to advance deep into the tourney more often was less excusable based on a higher caliber of talent. This Tennessee team, while obviously never the 13th best team in the SEC team in reality, is still a well-coached team that is low on high-end talent, and that overachieved by every possible definition of the word.

Reactions: 6 people
Hell yea we had a better season than A&M and Syracuse. They better win 2 more before it's even a discussion

Texas A&M just blew out North Carolina to advance to Sweet 16...

The reality is that TN should’ve never been picked 13th. That makes us feel like we overachieved in regular season.. but we got a 3 seed for tournament so it was no fluke.

We had this discussion a few years ago and I didn't buy it then and don't buy it now.

Florida won the SEC, the SEC tourney and made the Final Four, and several argued that Kentucky had a better year because they made the NCAA Final.

If A&M loses it's next game, they did not have a better year than Tennessee. They did not have a better year than Auburn.

If you make the Final Four, I'll buy the argument.

But, you don't have a better year than someone who gets a trophy or hangs a banner unless you win a better trophy or hang a significantly better banner.

JMO

Reactions: 5 people
I’ve never seen this poster before until we lost in the tourney. Now he’s making 10 threads a day. This team overachieved this year and then choked in the tourney just like a handful of teams did. The better teams doesn’t always win each round of the tournament.

If we had Alexander it would have been a completely different game.

Reactions: 4 people
Yes, we had a better season than both Syracuse and Texas A&M. No, we didn't have a better season than Virginia. This isn't that hard.

Listen...this team had a red carpet to the Sweet 16. Come on. Wright State and Loyola of Chicago? That's all you had to beat to get there. This is Barnes in a nutshell. Get your hopes up...build excitement and then tragically under achieve and choke it all away at the end of the day.

I know the majority find solace in the whole " We were picked 13th in the SEC" thing....or the weak agenda of comparing us to those other teams who failed like Virginia and Michigan State. You say "Well those teams were EXPECTED to go further..so it's worse". Here's the thing. Expectations CHANGED. They were raised significantly. So much that the Vols were a 3 seed...and certainly expected to beat Loyola of friggin Chicago.

The Sweet 16 was gift wrapped for a visit to the Sweet 16 at a minimum....but Barnes in typical fashion leaves everyone disappointed and despondent when it's all said and done.

You think we could have used one more time out at the end of that game? A critical and tragic mistake at the worst possible time that along with everything else....very well cost this team a chance to advance. At the end of the day...it's just another late season failure in the long line of such tragedies so rudely and unnecessarily thrust upon the fans of teams coached by Rick Barnes.

I’ve never seen this poster before until we lost in the tourney. Now he’s making 10 threads a day. This team overachieved this year and then choked in the tourney just like a handful of teams did. The better teams doesn’t always win each round of the tournament.

You just gave him his first L.

“Hey rookie, welcome to the basketball forum.”

-Stoked

This..and I'm totally with you stoked on wondering who in the hell all these posters are and where in the hell they came from 😡
Wanted to commiserate and mourn with those who had been along for the ride the whole season.... during the mostly good and the occasional bad (like last night) yet it's been hijacked by those whose method of debate could best be described as "nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doo doo"

And this is one thing WRONG with college basketball.... the regular season is diminished and it shouldn’t be. It’s the one real true test. AM was a huge disappointment this yr, but got a good matchup and has advanced. I’d still take regular season championship over sweet 16. Jmo

Reactions: 2 people

How else could a champ be crowned?

Tennessee had a great season. Barnes, his staff, and these players have all been incredible. Nothing should diminish that, even a loss to Wright St. wouldn't have. Sure it sucks, but this tournament isn't about crowning the best team, it's about making money. If the NCAA and the media cared about crowning a true champion they would change this drastically.

Football is different because of the number of big and athletic players it takes at the top level. There aren't that many of those kids. But you can find 5 or 6 somewhat athletic kids to play basketball all day long. But it still isn't the same. Does anyone think Loyola had to experience nearly what TN did throughout the tough grind of the SEC? Hell no. Then they come to the NCAA Tournament with some old Nun and become darlings of the tournament. Media, officials, everyone but TN fans. Loyola is a group of guys that play hard and well together. Take nothing away from them, but had they had to deal with the competition TN did all year they wouldn't have been a .500 team. They would have been Vandy or Ole Miss. Anyone can win a game or two. Let them play TN in a gym with no hype and unbiased refs and see what happens. The proof is in Admiral's comments after the game. He felt he couldn't play physical after his 2 fouls. That hasn't happened in that kid's entire career. Sure TN should have still won it regardless, but if that game is officiated like two even teams instead of like Daddy having to protect his little kids against the big bullies, TN wins easily regardless of all of it.

My point is - give the Vols credit and celebrate this season. Forget the tournament. It's just icing on the cake if you are lucky enough to do well.

And this is one thing WRONG with college basketball.... the regular season is diminished and it shouldn’t be. It’s the one real true test. AM was a huge disappointment this yr, but got a good matchup and has advanced. I’d still take regular season championship over sweet 16. Jmo

Got a good matchup?

They beat Carolina in Charlotte

I wonder if UK thinks this Sweet 16 is meaningless/diluted since they got the benefit of playing Buffalo instead of Arizona?

You think we could have used one more time out at the end of that game? A critical and tragic mistake at the worst possible time that along with everything else....very well cost this team a chance to advance. At the end of the day...it's just another late season failure in the long line of such tragedies so rudely and unnecessarily thrust upon the fans of teams coached by Rick Barnes.

No, I don't think the lack of a timeout after they hit that shot made any difference. The shot we wound up getting was as good as or better than any shot we'd have gotten with a baseball pass off a timeout.

EDIT: And if we don't use the timeout when we did, we might get run out of the freaking building BTW.

Last edited:
I wonder if UK thinks this Sweet 16 is meaningless/diluted since they got the benefit of playing Buffalo instead of Arizona?

Go ask them how they feel about it if they wind up losing before the Final Four. My guess is they won't be particularly excited about making the Sweet 16 by beating Davidson and Buffalo.

VN Store

Back