Our biggest need for bball vols?

njvols

Exceedingly proud of BBall Vols this year! Disappointing ending, but with all but one player set to come back, barring injury we've got a tremendous nucleus coming back for next year. We will be the hunted, instead of the hunter next year, which will make for more difficult road, but still everything looking up.

With that in mind, what is our biggest need for next year. We've got many parts and depth. We could use a dominant true big man inside, but if we've got only one spot for next year's roster, my vote is for a guard who can consistently take the ball to the paint...someone like Brunson w/ Villanova (wasn't the highest rated HS guy, but fits VU team mold) who is leader, proficient from outside, and is money taking the ball aggressively to the hoop. I think when we went quiet on offense, too many times it was because we passed the ball around the perimeter, not going inside and someone we jacked up ill advised 3's.

Thank you to Barnes and Vols for bringing life back to men's basketball...and men's sports, in general. We may have been top 8 this year in attendance, but we'll be top 5 next year, with higher expectations coming into the season! Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
More reliable production from the post imo. We shot extremely poorly from 2 and were poor on the defensive glass. So continued development of Alexander and more of a role in our offense, and getting Walker and Fulkerson a lot better to provide valuable minutes as a backup.

Reactions: 3 people
One of the following...1. A guard who can score whenever he wants to, or 2. A dominant post player who can efficiently score in the paint, and provide elite rebounding ability.

Reactions: 3 people
One of the following...1. A guard who can score whenever he wants to, or 2. A dominant post player who can efficiently score in the paint, and provide elite rebounding ability.

Turner took a little while to get going this year. I expect that he'll come right out of the gate next year and be a great scorer for us. Also Bone continues to improve his 3%.

If we can get Alexander going in the paint, and Grant works on his jumper, and even 3pt shot, we could have a really dynamic offense. Even though he didn't take many shots last year, Grant was still around 40% from 3. This year he shot 18%. He needs to be able to step away from the rim to score with more efficiency.

Turner took a little while to get going this year. I expect that he'll come right out of the gate next year and be a great scorer for us. Also Bone continues to improve his 3%.

If we can get Alexander going in the paint, and Grant works on his jumper, and even 3pt shot, we could have a really dynamic offense. Even though he didn't take many shots last year, Grant was still around 40% from 3. This year he shot 18%. He needs to be able to step away from the rim to score with more efficiency.

My concern for Turner remains his ball-handling and ability to get to the rim, mostly due to size, which he can't improve.

I wish KA weighed 25 lbs more and had Derrick Walker's attitude. I'd have a ton more confidence in him.

Reactions: 1 person
My concern for Turner remains his ball-handling and ability to get to the rim, mostly due to size, which he can't improve.

I wish KA weighed 25 lbs more and had Derrick Walker's attitude. I'd have a ton more confidence in him.

Turner had the lowest turnover rate on our team this year. He did have some boneheaded turnovers on occasion but I think as a junior those will continue to be minimized. Just because he’s not a natural slasher doesn’t mean he can’t be a great scorer for us

Turner had the lowest turnover rate on our team this year. He did have some boneheaded turnovers on occasion but I think as a junior those will continue to be minimized. Just because he’s not a natural slasher doesn’t mean he can’t be a great scorer for us

Which he really improved. Last year and even early this year, I was concerned about his decision making. Good for him.

We shot 38% from 3 as a team this year. We’ve only topped that once in the last 20 years - Chris Lofton’s sophomore year

Which he really improved. Last year and even early this year, I was concerned about his decision making. Good for him.

This. His improved decision-making was the biggest contributor to his decreased TO rate. His ball-handling still needs work, but the silly drive attempts and errant passes were greatly reduced.

Exceedingly proud of BBall Vols this year! Disappointing ending, but with all but one player set to come back, barring injury we've got a tremendous nucleus coming back for next year. We will be the hunted, instead of the hunter next year, which will make for more difficult road, but still everything looking up.

With that in mind, what is our biggest need for next year. We've got many parts and depth. We could use a dominant true big man inside, but if we've got only one spot for next year's roster, my vote is for a guard who can consistently take the ball to the paint...someone like Brunson w/ Villanova (wasn't the highest rated HS guy, but fits VU team mold) who is leader, proficient from outside, and is money taking the ball aggressively to the hoop. I think when we went quiet on offense, too many times it was because we passed the ball around the perimeter, not going inside and someone we jacked up ill advised 3's.

Thank you to Barnes and Vols for bringing life back to men's basketball...and men's sports, in general. We may have been top 8 this year in attendance, but we'll be top 5 next year, with higher expectations coming into the season! Go Vols!
50 pounds, and distribute it equally among Fulkerson and Alexander.

I believe experience was a big issue. No one on the team had tourny experience. Adking a lot out of sophomore guards. Next year i think we will have much better guard play. Turner will be a true scorer if he puts in the work. He is streaky. But he can be deadly. Bowden is the mystery to me. He plays decent defense. But he disappeared to often. Pons i feel has just scratched the surface. I really believe next year if the team stays healthy and no one gets suspended . I feel this team will win 30 games.

A dominant big man. We are too reliant on the 3 because we are so undersized. Also Grant struggles against talented, taller big men. Next wish would be 2 that can shoot better then Bowden.

Bone is a slasher who is afraid to slash. Very few guards can stop him one on one because of his speed. He has been a slow learner in 2 seasons.

I think part of Bone’s problem is we keep Grant lodged on the block...so when Bone does drive the lane is very congested. Bone needs us to spread the floor more...thus, Barnes needs to allow Grant to develop his game 15’ and out so Bone can be most effective and our offense won’t be so cluttered.

VN Store

Back